Who knows about different builders? Housing that is

Twistedrx7

Ive been looking through houses and seen a lot of different things.

Price range 120-145

MI seems to have some nice builds but smaller square footage.

Maronda has larger square footage and cheaper price.

Centex is right in the middle.

Im looking in the blacklick/pataskala area FYI.

Anyone actually know about longevity of these builders and quality of work?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Centex no longer sells new builds in Ohio. They got chased out of town. That should tell you something.

Maronda is crap

M/I and Dominion are the best new builds for the $$

If you want a condo Lifestyles is the way to go.

My dad used to be a major developer in Columbus. PM me with any questions.

I was hoping Centex would be nice because i found a great deal on one. Maronda i knew was crap but wanted some back up lol.

I would stay away from Centex. Now Fisher homes out of Cincy took over Centex's subdivisions and definitely upped the quality of build, so one of those wouldn't be bad. I would just never buy a Centex or Maronda. Honestly, a used Dominion is probably one of your better bets. Joshua homes is eh, but better than Centex or Maronda.

I would stay away from Centex. Now Fisher homes out of Cincy took over Centex's subdivisions and definitely upped the quality of build, so one of those wouldn't be bad. I would just never buy a Centex or Maronda. Honestly, a used Dominion is probably one of your better bets. Joshua homes is eh, but better than Centex or Maronda.

Interesting, do you know when centex was "chased" out? The house was built in 2005.

Interesting, do you know when centex was "chased" out? The house was built in 2005.

I believe Fisher took over sometime late 2008, so I think they shut down operations in late 2007 early 2008.

Update: Fischer signed the deal January 10 2008.

Do you have your own place in blacklick? If so where at? One MI home we were looking at was off of royal elm. and another was down havens corners off of taylor for the centex.

Yeah. I just live in a Condo House thing in Jefferson Run. I'm not really home enough to take care of the outside stuff, so while I'm single I decided to buy one of these. I will probably be building a Silvestri home within the next 2 years.

I've worked as an Electrican on some of these homes about 5-6 years ago. I can tell you that Marondas are pretty piss poor, especially anything they called a condo. M/I and Dominion are good houses, but like a lot of things nowadays if the subdivision had a lazy foreman the houses weren't as great. Homewoods used to really suck, but some of those I wired 5-6 years ago really were decent houses. I only wired a handfull of track homes because I did mostly customs when I was doing electrical, but I hope this helps some.

I've worked as an Electrican on some of these homes about 5-6 years ago. I can tell you that Marondas are pretty piss poor, especially anything they called a condo. M/I and Dominion are good houses, but like a lot of things nowadays if the subdivision had a lazy foreman the houses weren't as great. Homewoods used to really suck, but some of those I wired 5-6 years ago really were decent houses. I only wired a handfull of track homes because I did mostly customs when I was doing electrical, but I hope this helps some.

Yeah, the problem with Dominion really hasn't been the actual build, it's the finish. When I did my final walk-thru the foreman honestly told me there were certain things they just couldn't fix and were up to Dominion standards. Of course, not many of these things would be noticed by the average person or even most "in the know" homebuyers. Growing up around 50 custom home new builds per year has really skewed my view on what a "quality" home is.

Any of them centex homes that you recall?

I think will a lot of companies they start out with a great product but the finish brings it down a lot. Happens more and more now a days with people just trying to get in and get out. Nothing the average person would notice but still its there.

I wouldnt buy from any builder listed in this thread, besides fisher which I have never heard of. I have done work for all the builders listed(minus fisher), and almost every other major builder in this area. With that being said, I would build a custom home where you work with the builder to get the house you want. The values of the neighborhoods in which these companies some of which are no longer in business, has dramatically gone down hill and will continue to do so. You have to look at your house as the biggest investment you will own. What do you want from your investment? A 100% return on your investment, perhaps 150%. Nowadays alot of people are happy with an 80% return. I like my investments to increase in value. So I would either buy a house where I couldnt help but make money on because it was so cheap or one that will increase in value. Look at market trends in the areas you are wanting. Stay away from the builders who built "stick" houses. They aremoney pits and the quality is horrible.

My family has been working with MI for like the 16 years, and yes they have had their ups and downs it seems lately their qc dept has really stepped up. I have seen many MI developments go way up in value and have also seen a few in the wrong areas do very bad. In that price range look more into the neighborhood more than the builder.

Any of them centex homes that you recall?

I think will a lot of companies they start out with a great product but the finish brings it down a lot. Happens more and more now a days with people just trying to get in and get out. Nothing the average person would notice but still its there.

I never worked or was around really any Centex homes. I only really wired from start to finish a handfull of track homes. I had co-workers and friends that did alot of track homes. You could tell the quality of some of the homes because liek Maronda would only care if you got it past inspection, otherwise they could care less. At least some of the others would be involved, like Homewood and M/I.

I wouldnt buy from any builder listed in this thread, besides fisher which I have never heard of. I have done work for all the builders listed(minus fisher), and almost every other major builder in this area. With that being said, I would build a custom home where you work with the builder to get the house you want. The values of the neighborhoods in which these companies some of which are no longer in business, has dramatically gone down hill and will continue to do so. You have to look at your house as the biggest investment you will own. What do you want from your investment? A 100% return on your investment, perhaps 150%. Nowadays alot of people are happy with an 80% return. I like my investments to increase in value. So I would either buy a house where I couldnt help but make money on because it was so cheap or one that will increase in value. Look at market trends in the areas you are wanting. Stay away from the builders who built "stick" houses. They aremoney pits and the quality is horrible.

Honestly, I disagree about M/I and Dominion. You get what you pay for, and if your budget is for a $140k house, that is exactly what you get with M/I and Dominion, a solid build, and a warranty. My dad and and one of his good friends (another big name, but not tract home, custom home builder) went through a bunch of framed and roughed houses in my neighborhood and were impressed with the quality. Honestly, if they are impressed, those houses are good enough for anyone on this forum (structurally speaking) top to bottom.

I can see your point of view, but money can be made on stick homes you just can't stay until they need work. I bought a Maronda (yeah I know I've just been dogging them) kept it for two years and sold it. I was in over my head, but sold it for 131k and had paid 112k. Problem is these houses are throw away houses, and are only good for 10-12 years. So while I don't totally agree with you, all of these houses are no where near the quality of a custom built home.

well here is the problem, the MI house that was found is in a nice neighborhood and the value of the homes are around 200+ they want 145 for a VA insured house. VA wants 88 percent of the value. so 137,000 then the realtor of the foreclosure wants 7 percent of the sale. 145000 When it needs a lot of work to get it up to par. Now right down the road this same house is selling for 232,000 with wood floors and granite counter tops.

It is only 1890 sqft. small bedrooms except master, and no Formal dinning room.

The thing is the house would be bought cash, so i dont know how that would affect an offer of 137 instead of 145

Honestly, I disagree about M/I and Dominion. You get what you pay for, and if your budget is for a $140k house, that is exactly what you get with M/I and Dominion, a solid build, and a warranty. My dad and and one of his good friends (another big name, but not tract home, custom home builder) went through a bunch of framed and roughed houses in my neighborhood and were impressed with the quality. Honestly, if they are impressed, those houses are good enough for anyone on this forum (structurally speaking) top to bottom.

Is he a certified inspector at all? wouldnt mind him doing a walk through if he is.

MI homes 30 years ago when they were starting out made very good quality homes. MI "custom" homes are very good homes. MI mass building homes of the last decade are for the most part decent homes. However what I personally choose to spend my money on is not necessarily decent. I have been called out to fix many many issues on houses where sub contractors, and this is key, were used during the big housing boom to build these houses. I could take sub contractors who do terrible work and put them into a house that would pass inspections. 5 years later there may not be a problem. Quality work? Or as with most terrible sub contractors, the material quality has allowed for little issue. But that only lasts so long then things start popping up. Only know it looks like its a material issue when in fact the material was installed incorrectly. I have been on hundreds of MI homesites. Years ago I knew alot subs for all the homebuilders on a first name basis. It was a running joke with alot of guys what they could get away with and still get paid. I suggest buying a home utilizing the expertise of a quality home inspector, a knowledgable realtor who has your best interest in mind and by talking to as many neighbors as possible before buying. Make a day of it and ask people what they think. But theres no substitute for common sense. If it doesnt look or feel righ, chances are its not.

MI homes 30 years ago when they were starting out made very good quality homes. MI "custom" homes are very good homes. MI mass building homes of the last decade are for the most part decent homes. However what I personally choose to spend my money on is not necessarily decent. I have been called out to fix many many issues on houses where sub contractors, and this is key, were used during the big housing boom to build these houses. I could take sub contractors who do terrible work and put them into a house that would pass inspections. 5 years later there may not be a problem. Quality work? Or as with most terrible sub contractors, the material quality has allowed for little issue. But that only lasts so long then things start popping up. Only know it looks like its a material issue when in fact the material was installed incorrectly. I have been on hundreds of MI homesites. Years ago I knew alot subs for all the homebuilders on a first name basis. It was a running joke with alot of guys what they could get away with and still get paid. I suggest buying a home utilizing the expertise of a quality home inspector, a knowledgable realtor who has your best interest in mind and by talking to as many neighbors as possible before buying. Make a day of it and ask people what they think. But theres no substitute for common sense. If it doesnt look or feel righ, chances are its not.

My dad and Carlo may have used you years ago. Dad was the owner of Silvercreek homes and Silvestri was the general contractor.

I think the joint venture with grandpa was Oakbrook. He also owned the J. Leonard Company, LodgeLand and Lodge Realty.

You won't get him to admit this, but my Grandpa is the one who got Don Kenny started (Triangle)

The Deascentis family is pretty close with my Grandpa and dad as well.

Dominion sucks ass

Signed,

Someone living in a Dominion home that costs over 200k next to a 225k MI home that also sucks.