What is the best way to clean an engine?

Stampede

I am fond of this following:

On a cold engine:

Soak with Simple Green (I use SG Max).

Let sit for 5 Minutes.

Rinse down engine bay w/ waterhose.

Soak again w/ Simple Green.

Rinse again w/ waterhose.

Let airdry.

If more detail is needed, I then wipe off the water spots.

This method it nice, simple, easy and FAST!

:thumbup:

KillJoy

What kind of shine/protectant to use? I'm thinking tire foam.

Thanks.

How dirty is it to begin with? Post a picture or something. And I HATE using tire foam in the engine bay - that stuff attracts more dirt than anything. There are a lot of things you can use to polish.

I went to the Iron Pony and picked up some plastic polish that Yamaha makes for use on motorcycles - it works great on the plastic and hoses and doesn't leave everything wet and greasy. You can use it on any plastic trim, hose - whatever.

I have used purple power in the past. Just be careful if you let it sit too long it can dis color some of the metal parts. Also used car wash soap and washed it like you do with a car on top of the purple power being used. Rinse it down and then take a towel and dry everything off. As far as the rubber use some vynil cleaner conditoner unless your at a show throw some tire shine on a rag and wipe it all down just make sure you wipe it off before you drive away otherwise all the dust will stick to it. Then if you really want to get crazy once the engine is washed take some wax and go over all the painted surfaces you can get to. Hope this helps