Chevy and Dodge Guys??

dover

Tell me everything I need to know about:

1999 Silverado 1500 Chevy 5.3L (182K Miles)

and

2003 Ram 1500 Dodge 5.9L (127K Miles)

Pros, Cons, personal experience, etc.

I am looking at different trucks for hauling the bike around thats all it will haul (correction and most likely my car). Both trucks are clean enough and I'm not super worried about it.

i would go with a silverado. i've owned 3 of them and my dad has a avalanche (almost the same frame other than the 4 link rear) and we have never had any problems.

things to look out for on both trucks, front suspension parts.

the silverado check the brake lines on the frame right about where the driver door meets the front fender. they like to rust out and leak brake fluid.

not saying a 1500 wont do it...but if you plan to haul your car around, are you opposed to a 2500 diesel?

not opposed to it just don't have that kind of money seeing as i have too many other things.

Thanks AJ I'll be looking at it tomorrow and I'll look for that stuff.

The Dodge 5.9L Magnum is a good engine, backed by a sketchy transmission. Repairs aren't ridiculous, but it's something to keep in mind. I know several people who had converter issues around 125-140k. Not super expensive, but it's an issue to consider. Good trucks overall though. They drink more gas than a 5.3, but a 5.3 with 180k+ is probably pretty tired and sipping some oil. If they're close in price I'd lean toward the Dodge, assuming nothing is seriously wrong with it. If the Chevy is cheaper and has a lot of service records in its favor vs no service history on the Dodge it's the winner. Obviously you'll have to look at both of them closely, as there are plenty of things that could be a go-no go gauge for either one.

Good luck.

ta 5.3 with 180k+ is probably pretty tired and sipping some oil.

Good luck.

You'd actually probably be surprised. Had several 5.3's with close to if not much more that came into the dealership when I worked there that drove and performed great. Had a 99 in particular with 2xx,xxx miles that would still run rings around most Ford or dodges with equivalent mileage.

never had any issues with both trucks . the ram probably pulls better as its got the 5.9

rams 4 years newer an has 55k less miles. make sure to jsut go over both trucks real well.

have you thought about a f150 with the 5.4 or f250 around the same yearss you could get a f250 (like gearheads an like schmelmers work trucks) for a great price with the 5.4

goodluck eathier way man

the chevy just bc it is an LSx lol. just kidding. but like others have said, i would check the service records for both, especially the dodge to see if it has had any tranny work done, if not, i probably wouldnt get the dodge as i know quite a few people that have had there trannies replaced once or twice.

I have the exact model Silverado you're looking at, and love it. It hauls the Formula or random Accords just fine. It's comfortable, fun to drive, and easily modded. LSX FTW :)

It can haul an accord doing about 75 on the freeway with some bone thugs blairing and screaming at slow drivers.

I have driven both working at Enterprise and the Silverado has a better balance to it. It rides good and has enough power to get it done without drinking to much gas.

The dodge has tons of stump pulling power but uses to much gas and rides a bit rougher.

I have a 02 z71 suburban with the 5.3. No real problems other than the rear diff leaks. I have been to cheap to but a new cover to replace the stamped steel unit. The Front hubs may need to be replaced on that if they have not been done yet. Other than that our 1500 has been a great truck.

PS. Look and make sure all the dash lights work, GM used the LEDs and they are a pain to repair.

I have an 00 Yukon XL with a 5.3. It has 166,000 miles and I have towed cars in a 24' enclosed through the mountains in KY, WV, VA, TN ect ect at 70 mph and never had an issue. I have had to replace the Intake gaskets (easy fix) and now its down for the fuel pump and those are the only issues I have ever had with the truck and it is my dd.