Trying to decide on tires for the wife's A4...

Nitrousbird

WTF

My car came with ASX's and they were GARBAGE. No wet grip,suck balls in snow and in the dry, were laughable. Seriously, run dedicated tires for one season and the difference..

Hmmm...Well obviously a dedicated tire is going to do better, but if you want one that can do everything well, I have zero problems with the ASX and would recommend them.

I run Kumho Ecsta ASX all-seasons on my S4. They are good in snow and I've taken them to Trails and I've read of porsche people running them on a roadcourse.

Affordable, good in snow/wet/dry, I've had them on there for almost 2 years now of daily driving and they still have plenty of tread left. Probably good for another 2 years.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+ASX

RS4 reps look good on any audi. I do have a set of 18" Flik Justice wheels that I need to get rid of for hella cheap. They need to make a trip to wheel medic to straighten them and a refinishing wouldnt hurt.

WTF

My car came with ASX's and they were GARBAGE. No wet grip,suck balls in snow and in the dry, were laughable. Seriously, run dedicated tires for one season and the difference..

I bought ASXs for my GTI. I agree with Jones. Not awesome at all.

:(

Screw you guys, my car is so awesome it doesnt care what tires it has on it. That must be it.

Probably has more to do with the epic amount of spirited driving I do every year. It may not be track abuse, but I'm very hard on tires/brakes and drive the same 60-70 mile route aggresively every day just for work. Not counting excursions to the hocking-heim. ;)

I have the Yokohama YK520's for my BMW in the same 235/45/17. I read tons of great reviews and that's what made me decide to get them. I don't know what it is though, I have had the worst luck with them. They started off great but after about 10K miles, they cup - badly. I have had my alignment checked on my car several times (required by Discount Tire for my replacement) and finally I went back to Discount Tire and had them replaced. I have about 7,500 or so on this set and they are already getting loud and doing the same again. I am going to take them back again and try and swap for something else.

I did hear and read great reviews on them though, so maybe its just on my car. Like I said everything is in perfect shape on my car and this is the second set...so I don't know. They were great at the beginning though. If they weren't doing this weird thing they would be great.

Dedicated tires. Costs more, but having true snow tires in the winter is safer. Not only will snow tires reduce your worry when she's driving in bad weather, but if her Audi is a Quattro, nothing short of a foot of snow will stop her so you won't have to juggle the Avalanche.

There is no juggling of the Avalanche...I have a company vehicle - the Av mostly just gets driven on the weekends.

She is careful enough to get around on all-seasons, I'm sure. She is from a place that gets a hell of a lot more snow than we do here, where EVERYONE has snow tires. Her last car was FWD w/ shitty tires and no ABS, and she never had an accident with it.

The soft sidewall issue is the only thing that worries me about the Conti's. How good is their warranty?

And no Kuhmos. Had a set on the Formula...wore more quickly than my Nitto Drag Radials did.