Going on a cruise... NEED INPUT!!!

dragknee66

Im going on a 7 day cruise in 3 weeks... I need all the input I can get from anyone thats ever been on one..

Things to stay away from?

Things I need to do?

How the booze situation works?

What to remember to bring?

What I wont need to bring?

I mean every detail I can get will be helpful :D

all food is free, drinks is were they get you, they charge something like $3.00+ for a can of pop alcohol is around $8.00+ and mixed drinks are more, everything is put on a card, you give them a credit card to swipe before you leave the port and they give you a card that all charges get applied too, not sure where your going but some places they'll advise you to not drink the water and not wonder off because of crime but all in all its 7 days of a non stop party with all the free food you can eat..........you'll have a blast

1. Eat everything

2. Eat everything

3. Eat everything

I've only been on one cruise (Royal Caribbean - Enchantment of the Seas), which I was married on and I probably ate my weight in steaks, seafood and desserts. Make sure you buy your shore excursions from the ship because they're typically better organized and priced than what you can find when you stop at your ports of call. Get involved in the ship's activities. They have a ton of stuff to do and it's a waste to not be a part of it.

Edited by TimTaylor75

1. Eat everything

2. Eat everything

3. Eat everything

I've only been on one cruise (Princess - Enchantment of the Seas), which I was married on and I probably ate my weight in steaks, seafood and desserts. Make sure you buy your shore excursions from the ship because they're typically better organized and priced than what you can find when you stop at your ports of call. Get involved in the ship's activities. They have a ton of stuff to do and it's a waste to not be a part of it.

agreed

Dont forget to eat everything!

Oh and orders steak in bed one night :)

buying the ship shore excursiacne IN ADAVANCED is advised.. we waited till we were on the boat and most of the ones we wanted were already filled up.

we took Royal Caribbean, and we were able to buy a drink card for the week. I think it was something like 30 bucks and it basicly covered alot of your non alchoholic drinks.

When we were in Key west we bought soda at a CVS and took it back on the boat, but i dotn think you can bring it with you initially.

On your Departure Go stand at the Top of boat at the front.. its alot of fun and kinda an amazing feeling for something that is technicly simple.

Oh.. and you cant play ping pong on the ocean, i dont care what they say..

where are you going on your cruise? that would be helpful to tell you what to bring...

make sure to bring a credit card or something, they book an additional 20 dollars a day for gratuity fees.... plus also, make sure to bring some motion sickness pills... that was by far the worst part of the cruise, those open waters can get really choppy.

Also, I wouldn't book any excursions... the cruise liner charges you twice as much as if you just went and did it yourself... plus having one activity when you port as opposed to just getting to do whatever you want... on our next cruise, we won't book any excursions and just do what we want.

Im going on a 7 day cruise in 3 weeks... I need all the input I can get from anyone thats ever been on one..

Things to stay away from?

Things I need to do?

How the booze situation works?

What to remember to bring?

What I wont need to bring?

I mean every detail I can get will be helpful :D

Whitey and Robin's cruise? Ask them about the booze details, they let me in on their little "secret" a while back, its pretty clever actually and ALOT easier on the wallet. Ive never been on a cruise but Im gonna take a wild guess and say booze are gonna be pretty expensive.

Btw, have fun. I wish i was going but there was no way i could switch my vacation weeks from November to the week of the cruise.

drinks are really expensive, food is really good. on my first cruise we missed a couple of the nice dinners and that was a mistake due to the 24hr buffet having the samething all day long. Our cruise left out of new orleans and we were able to get 4 bottles of liquor and a case of beer on in our bags( cool taxi driver knew someone at the port and he got the bags on) also when we were leaving cozumel they said you had to check alcohol in when getting back on the boat but we were able to just walk back onto the boat with a couple more bottles

I went on one a while back and liked it, but I was a kid. The cons are: you're on a floating hotel and are limited to only the boats resources. My parents didn't like it because your constantly surrounded by the same people and lots of them. It seems you either hate it or love it. A bit of advise tho, I went on a Carnival and every night we had a "manditory formal" dinner. When we docked for the day/night in Cozumel we left early to go to dinner on the ship when she should have just stayed on the damn beach. I don't know if its cause we felt obligated to eat on the boat cause they kinda pushed it on us, or because the food was free, or both. All in all you'll have a good time and meet alot of people, just don't feel obligated to do things like we did, if you want to stay on the deck and smoke your stoggie in your board shorts while the rest of the boat plays dress up at dinner, then do it. Oh, and take some pics and share with us....

Pack 2-3 bottles of booze in your luggage, been on 2 cruises and have done this on both of them.

We book excursions from the cruise liner for more convenience.. You're on vacation, no need to worry about trying to find locals to drive you to places while you're off the boat then worry about getting back to the boat and getting left behind.

Buy duty free liquor the day before you get back home.. Johnny Walker blue at 30-40% off FTW

Take advantage of the daily activities they have, you'll get a newsletter every day that has all events.

Pack 2 bottles of booze in your luggage, been on 2 cruises and have done this on both of them.

We book excursions from the cruise liner for more convenience.. You're on vacation, no need to worry about trying to find locals to drive you to places while you're off the boat then worry about getting back to the boat and getting left behind.

Buy duty free liquor the day before you get back home.. Johnny Walker blue at 30-40% off FTW

Take advantage of the daily activities they have, you'll get a newsletter every day that has all events.

+1 on the booze in your luggage. You generally get Lemonade and iced tea free on the boats so vodka is always a good mixer.

Or rum. You can buy an unlimited soda package for not THAT much money and mix rum / coke too.

and a big +1 on bringing booze back. I got a bottle of Johnny Blue for $110, Chivas Royal Salute for $90 and they practically threw in a bottle of Johnny Swing at like $25.

Andy

I know they have wifi but you have to pay for it. You can connect through your phone for free if you know how.

Packing luggage is a plus. Some cruises allow you to pack booze some dont. When you get your taxi or shuttle to the boat dont let the porters take your bags. You will not get them until the end of the day. Just take them in yourself you can also avoid the long lines this way because you will be ahead of everyone.

For excursions look them up now, if you go through other companies other than cruise it can be cheaper just depends. Where exactly are you going and what ship?

I recommend flying southwest as well, they are cheap and i have never had a problem. They also allow to luggage cases under 50 pounds.

Carnival was crazy about booze coming on the ship. They confiscated any they found and gave it back to you at the end of the trip.

If you have specific questions I can probably answer them considering I just got back from a 7-day on the 13th.

Cruises are fun. Loads to eat. They ping on you for every possible extra charge, pictures, booze (KACHING), soda, excursions, etc... If you are in it for the time with your significant other, you will have fun. If you drink, be warned, you will be spending more than the cruise cost.

I put my vodka in a mouth wash container and colored it blue. Be warned it will have a minty taste if not cleaned out fully. Also you can take a 12 pack of pop on just take out the pop without ripping into it, replace with beer and put two pops on either end so if they open it they will see its pop. Then seal it back up and your set.

I put my vodka in a mouth wash container and colored it blue. Be warned it will have a minty taste if not cleaned out fully. Also you can take a 12 pack of pop on just take out the pop without ripping into it, replace with beer and put two pops on either end so if they open it they will see its pop. Then seal it back up and your set.

+1 for the mouthwash bottle. Then again turned out Carnival didn't care.