new gears?

pontiacfreak142

im not quite sure what to do, or go with. I talked to brian earlier (thanks again man for scanning the car), and from what we remember, the car made peak power at about 5800 rpm, which was also at 126? mph. now im not sure what rpm im going through the traps at, but the car made the dyno pulls in 3rd gear, and i dont use OD at the track either.

The car currently has 3.73 gears in it, im thinking 4.10's but not sure. should i wait till i can get a pass in and see where my rpms are first, or is there an easier way to tell if i should go ahead and do it?

Guest Removed
im not quite sure what to do, or go with. I talked to brian earlier (thanks again man for scanning the car), and from what we remember, the car made peak power at about 5800 rpm, which was also at 126? mph. now im not sure what rpm im going through the traps at, but the car made the dyno pulls in 3rd gear, and i dont use OD at the track either.

The car currently has 3.73 gears in it, im thinking 4.10's but not sure. should i wait till i can get a pass in and see where my rpms are first, or is there an easier way to tell if i should go ahead and do it?

its going to depend on size size too..

that would be helpful info.

alos, wait and see where your going through the traps at in 3rd...if your only going at like 4800-5300 rpm, you could go shorter tire, or more gear.

Guest Removed
Make a pass first, you don't wanna go through the hassle and find out the 4.10s are too steep.

step up in tire size...like go from 26" to 28"... the taller the more side wall anyway. more side wall = more hook

Guest Removed
That's why I did it. I was running through the traps right after going into OD with the 26" tires. I moved to 28" and run through in 3rd plus hook better.

and with more boost, the new rear end will need like a 3.50 or so gear in it, and stay with the taller tire;)

Guest Removed
im not really looking to go that big though. even just going to a 4.10 should help with both my 60's and trap speed right?

should, but remember, you may have more of a traction issue. maybe...

im not really looking to go that big though. even just going to a 4.10 should help with both my 60's and trap speed right?

Should keep it up where it's making a little more power, and lower et. I'm sure not an expert in this concept.

should, but remember, you may have more of a traction issue. maybe...

well the traction issue i can deal with, thats all just a matter of playing with tire pressure and launching the car. my main concern is just getting this car to run a little more like it should.

and the extra trans breakage :p

its currently torn apart over at joel howards shop. have to buy a few little clips before it can be reassembled. hopefully i can pick them up tomorrow.

and btw i doubt the 4.10s have anything to do with the breakages. incorrectly set shifter stops, and a shitty driver are the reasons for the breakages.

The car already has 3:73's, so going w/ a 4:10 won't be as drastic of an increase as if you were going from stock gears, like 2:73 or 3:23's. So I'm not sure if the minor increase would be worth it to your wallet, as I'm sure gears and install will run every bit of $300+.

What are your mods? Maybe do something else to increase power/reduce weight?

Just ideas...

The car already has 3:73's, so going w/ a 4:10 won't be as drastic of an increase as if you were going from stock gears, like 2:73 or 3:23's. So I'm not sure if the minor increase would be worth it to your wallet, as I'm sure gears and install will run every bit of $300+.

What are your mods? Maybe do something else to increase power/reduce weight?

Just ideas...

im not expecting a drastic increase or anything, just something thats gonna help my car get down the 1/4 a little quicker, plus i plan on doing a V8 swap before to long and i wanted 4.10s for it anyway. also, it cant help any less than going from 3.08's to 3.73s did for my car. and actually it will only cost me 200 for the gears, i can do the work myself.

Guest Removed
haha, yea 4.56's would be a bit to much for this car as i still drive it on a normal basis.

put a 50 shot on it then. i mean really. instead of putting more money in a rearend that will break more with a v-8, just find a cheap spray kit.