I AM GETTING A NEW CAR! which is a better buy???

Guest JCroz91

The kid ask's for help with his car, and gets suggestions on how to run his life, typical CR. Lifes too short, and tommorows are not promised fellas.

I'd buy Jeffro's GT (if he was serious) buy a built low compression short block, and toss on one of Chad's turbo kits. A little more than 17k, but close.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well since you already are going to do what you want.......here is another option. In last weeks ohio auto rv they had 3 mustangs that were wrecked and are for part outs. they had a low mile mach 1 that was wrecked bad but everything driveline and engine wise was good. Buy the car for 4k and convert your 6 with all the mach stuff. I want to say it had 35k on it but do not quote me on that.

Well then, by all means blow that money. I'm not speaking from experience or anything.

Between just me, Kirk, and Hal, let alone the other who have spoken up in this thread, we are some of the smartest people on the board, and we all disagree with your outlook. Something to consider. :)

Yup,... hit that 23-24 year age and you realize that, shit, all that money I wasted as a kid on an unreliable pile of junk could be used now to build a really nice and reliable street car. And then you realize that now, not only could you afford that upfront cost, but you can afford to upkeep it. Something that wasn't possible when younger because you'd blown all your money up front, and barely got by making the minimum upkeep cost's because that's all you could afford.

Yup,... hit that 23-24 year age and you realize that, shit, all that money I wasted as a kid on an unreliable pile of junk could be used now to build a really nice and reliable street car. And then you realize that now, not only could you afford that upfront cost, but you can afford to upkeep it. Something that wasn't possible when younger because you'd blown all your money up front, and barely got by making the minimum upkeep cost's because that's all you could afford.

this^^^^

you're looking at spending $17k that you've saved up without even realizing that these cars need a CONSTANT flow of money to fix everything that will need replaced/upgraded.

you're clearly not going to listen, so my vote is to buy a mach1 AND a mustang GT--why not have both?? then mod the piss out of each of them so that neither is reliable, or remotely comfortable to drive.

i got $20 that says either:

1)whatever car you buy spends more time off the road than on the road

2)you get another ticket(s) and simply can't afford insurance and have to sell the car for a loss

not routing against you or anything, just telling you the reality of things. and no, i did not make the same mistake you're about to---notice i said that i QUICKLY REALIZED that i would not be able to mod my car like i wanted to while in college. my total investment was about $5500 for the first 3 years i owned the car

if you're hell bent on learning the hard way---buy a car with the intentions of spending twice what you think you would for mods/upkeep

Guest JCroz91
this^^^^

you're looking at spending $17k that you've saved up without even realizing that these cars need a CONSTANT flow of money to fix everything that will need replaced/upgraded.

you're clearly not going to listen, so my vote is to buy a mach1 AND a mustang GT--why not have both?? then mod the piss out of each of them so that neither is reliable, or remotely comfortable to drive.

i got $20 that says either:

1)whatever car you buy spends more time off the road than on the road

2)you get another ticket(s) and simply can't afford insurance and have to sell the car for a loss

not routing against you or anything, just telling you the reality of things. and no, i did not make the same mistake you're about to---notice i said that i QUICKLY REALIZED that i would not be able to mod my car like i wanted to while in college. my total investment was about $5500 for the first 3 years i owned the car

if you're hell bent on learning the hard way---buy a car with the intentions of spending twice what you think you would for mods/upkeep

i work full time a AAA... i dont pay rent, i only pay a phone bill. ill have the $. ill make the $17,000 in 6 months. then i wouldnt have a car payment after that and like i am now. i would have my checks being able to go into the car. i know cars need constant flow of $. its not going to be my DD. if it breaks ill have a beater to drive.

Until you're 21, ready to move out of your parents house. Only to discover you have no down payment for a nice house because you spent a serious chunk of cash on a car 2 years earlier. So you're then stuck to renting apartments which give you NO return on your investment.

You haven't been been able to save any money since then too because you were working just to be able to sink your paycheck into your car to keep it in driveable condition.

Plus you realize paying more a month for insurance on ONE car than some people make towards their financed cars lets you get nowhere ahead of yourself.

It's about that time when you realize, had you listened when you were younger, to the ones who have already been there done that, that you'd be 1000 times better off if you didn't let your ego and immaturity do your check writing for you.

Until you're 21, ready to move out of your parents house. Only to discover you have no down payment for a nice house because you spent a serious chunk of cash on a car 2 years earlier. So you're then stuck to renting apartments which give you NO return on your investment.

You haven't been been able to save any money since then too because you were working just to be able to sink your paycheck into your car to keep it in driveable condition.

Plus you realize paying more a month for insurance on ONE car than some people make towards their financed cars lets you get nowhere ahead of yourself.

It's about that time when you realize, had you listened when you were younger, to the ones who have already been there done that, that you'd be 1000 times better off if you didn't let your ego and immaturity do your check writing for you.

Pretty much this...and I thought I would be the last person to ever agree with any of this...what I considered at the time to be "nonsense."

I really wish I could go back 3 years and not sell my Sentra Spec-V. Yeah it was slow, yeah it was gawdy, yeah it was a little bit ricey...but dammit it ran well and it was paid off. Oh well, I am where I am and I'm happy, but I sure have learned a lot, and I would sure be a lot happier without a car payment. Even though I have a bike payment :) but I would rather have that than a car payment anyday haha.

Thats the good thing and the bad thing about CR. If more experienced people can help... then why not. I've seen plenty of threads where comments like that have prevented people from making stupid mistakes... and others where it was just annoying. In the end its still his decision to make.

OP, think about this.. I spent $18k modding my car. $11k of it was planned mods and the rest was to fix shit that broke. If you spend all your money on a fast car then plan to mod it from paycheck to paycheck you will end up with a broke car that you cant afford to fix. If you are dead set on buying a fast car then make sure you have enough saved to keep it on the road...

I vote mod a GT.

Somebody change the name of this site to Dr.Phill.com. Ask a question about a car, and get everyones opinion on what you should do with your life. Last time I checked he had a mom and dad, leave all that shit up to them.

I dont think anyone's telling this kid any lies here. I think the older, somewhat wiser member's are simply trying to open the eyes of a kid that there is a whole world to waste your money on why waste it on a depreciating liability at such a young age? To me, all comments are made with the best intention's this would be a much worse site if everyone posted a comment egging him on to piss away his money on a car.

Hey, im with the old guys in saying dont waste your money but I do see your point you want to enjoy your youth, understandable. My vote is for the Mach1 simply b/c i like them better than your average GT.

question, if you make a decent amount working for AAA and say you can make back the 17k in 6months then why not do that? wait another 6months then have 34k to blow on your car? even better right?

Hey, im with the old guys in saying dont waste your money but I do see your point you want to enjoy your youth, understandable. My vote is for the Mach1 simply b/c i like them better than your average GT.

Mach 1 > GT all night long. GT for cost saving, mach 1 if you want a fast track car and the money is burning a hole in your pocket. Cobras > * but resale is still high as hell.

Mach 1 > GT all night long. GT for cost saving, mach 1 if you want a fast track car and the money is burning a hole in your pocket.

I will never pretend to know much about Mustang's but overall I like the Mach 1's better. hey if your gonna spend that much on a car it better be a good looking car right?

I dont think anyone's telling this kid any lies here. I think the older, somewhat wiser member's are simply trying to open the eyes of a kid that there is a whole world to waste your money on why waste it on a depreciating liability at such a young age? To me, all comments are made with the best intention's this would be a much worse site if everyone posted a comment egging him on to piss away his money on a car.

question, if you make a decent amount working for AAA and say you can make back the 17k in 6months then why not do that? wait another 6months then have 34k to blow on your car? even better right?

lol...makes me feel old and 5 years ago, i just graduated high school.

i bought a new car when i was 18 or early 19, started doing small mods whenever i got extra money. lived check to check with my parents, then there was this thing called a "reality check" when parents said "hey, we're getting divorced"...i decided to move out, rent + utilities + car payment friggin sucked...was a point for a couple weeks i was literally eating ramen noodles daily because i couldnt buy groceries.

who knows...maybe in 3-4 years this kid will stumble across this thread and think "damn, i wish i listened to most of those guys".

Guest JCroz91

ok so i get told to not spent the 17 but save up a years and blow 34 on a car? makes sense? or i could just save 17 and buy a car. and then then save the 17 for the house or w.e.

honestly i didnt ask.. should i buy a car or not. the question is which car to get? cause im getting a car. end of story

Guest JCroz91
Somebody change the name of this site to Dr.Phill.com. Ask a question about a car, and get everyones opinion on what you should do with your life. Last time I checked he had a mom and dad, leave all that shit up to them.

and thank you Kurt.... your about the only one who see's where im trying to go with this thread

and thank you Kurt.... your about the only one who see's where im trying to go with this thread

i agree with you to a point to, bc you and i are in the same boat. we both have v6 cars, but want V8's. But i will say, listen to some of these guys. i know you want a new car, so do i, ive thought about just goin out and buying an LS1 car and being done with it, but i just recently got a wake up call to, bc of this economy, my parents are being forced to sell there house soon, and i plan on moving out then, so i dont have the money to buy one. plus i realize that yes, i own a V6 firebird, but it runs 13's, so im not in any hurry. and like i said before, you have a good running car right now to.

if you really think you have to have a V8, do what im doing and just slowly building a motor to put in my car. yea it might take me a year to get it in, but oh well, i know it will be done some time, and i know im not gonna leave myself broke doing it.

What makes you think you are mature enough to own a fast car??

Your driving record sure doesn't support that. The fact you still live with mommy and daddy doesn't support it...which the only reason you can afford the car is because you live with your parents.

I personally find it disrespectful that you want to suck on the parental tit for housing/college costs, yet blow your money on a damn car.

I bought my Formula when I was 21 and in college. But then again, I worked 30+ hours a week at a good paying (for college at least) job, lived on my own, and paid for my own schooling. And I didn't do a bunch of crazy modding until I graduated and had a real job.

Why not save your money so that when you move out, you'll have a pot to piss in, will be able to afford to furnish an apartment and take care of yourself. Keep the V6 in the mean time, drive it responsibly, then once you have reasonable insurance again, then consider getting a V8 car and slowly modding it.