Anyone bought a mattress?

Bam

We went mattress shopping today and got sticker shock! These things average $1000-$1500 for a queen mattress and boxspring. We saw some get up to nearly $5000. Is this average? Neither of us have ever bought a mattress, so we have no clue but I guess I just assumed an average not all fancy one would be closer to $500.

Now don't get me wrong, I want a quality mattress and a comfortable one at that, but I'm not really seeing the value difference between all of them.

We did decide we want a firm or 'plush' one, which means semi-firm I guess.

We went to Mattress Firm and Mattress Mart today, any other suggestions?

Also, for people that have bought new mattresses, are these prices in line? And what mattress did you buy/are you happy with it?

I got my current mattress(queen size, semi-firm) from Mattress Mart. It was around $500-600 if I recall correctly. I did not get a headboard and only got the basic frame included in that price. It was made by Mattress Mart in-shop. Ask for their custom mattresses and not the name-brand ones.

I got my current mattress(queen size, semi-firm) from Mattress Mart. It was around $500-600 if I recall correctly. I did not get a headboard and only got the basic frame included in that price. It was made by Mattress Mart in-shop. Ask for their custom mattresses and not the name-brand ones.

Hmm, ok. How long have you had it? Was there any warranty?

Hmm, ok. How long have you had it? Was there any warranty?

I've had it for probably a year and a half or so. There's a warranty but I don't know what it is; it's still all mattressy and stuff. They emulate that popular "extra padding" thing that a lot of companies sow on to the top of the mattress.

we got ours from the place on broad in front of meijer in blacklick. its in the little building with scramblers, radio shack, and a pizza place. we got a queen size with boxspring, it was like 699, and they paid the tax and free delivery next day.

mattresses are almost like cars, you never pay sticker price. you can always haggle them to a point

Check out Big Lots. You might not think to go there, but I got my queen-sized bed for around 400 I think (my mom bought it for me as an early christmas gift). They had a deal going on where if you bought a mattress you got the box or whatever for 10 bucks. So all I have is the mattress and box, I didn't really want a frame and headboard anyway. But yeah it's really comfortable and it's a Serta, so it's worth checking out.

you think that's a shocker, check out california king beds... we decided on that and almost had a heart attack when I had to pay for it!

BTW, beds are one thing you don't want to cheap out on... I've been known to be cheap but no way would I cheap out on something that I am going to sleep on for the next 10 years... just a little food for thought.

you think that's a shocker, check out california king beds... we decided on that and almost had a heart attack when I had to pay for it!

BTW, beds are one thing you don't want to cheap out on... I've been known to be cheap but no way would I cheap out on something that I am going to sleep on for the next 10 years... just a little food for thought.

Oh I agree. I'm not necessarily trying to be cheap I just wanted to make sure that I'm not getting raped because I have no knowledge of them. I have had the same bed since I was 13, nearly 11 years so I've never had to buy one, but I know they last.

I'm definitely willing to pay for quality, but its kind of hard to decide anything when 1)your bed sucks so you can't get comfy 2) therefore nearly any other bed is super comfy 3) you only get to test the bed out for like a minute, which is nothing like an entire night.

We maybe laid on 8 mattresses, and honestly, there were maybe 3 I could tell a difference, otherwise I couldn't. And they ranged from $699 to $1999, LOL.

They emulate that popular "extra padding" thing that a lot of companies sow on to the top of the mattress.

Pillow top. Which are nice! That's what we have. HOWEVER, these lend to the bed being non-flippable. Something they usually actually advertise as an advantage, however it leaves you to 50% mattress life as you are not able to flip the mattress for constant and consistent wear... think of it like rotating tires.

Look into the mom-n-pop type mattress places. They usually have the best deals. We bought out king size pillow top mattres and box spring for $499 two years ago.

I've got the same (really nice) bed I had since high school.

That's just,... well, gross. Traditional mattresses have a usable life span of 10 years. Not that they break down in that time. But you're laying on ~20yrs of dead skin, body fluids, dirt, and pretty much anything else you can think "lands" on your bed over that period of time.

Its generally suggested to replace the mattress after that long for health reasons more than anything.

I used to have alot of back problems (and went through back surgery) and still had back pain until I got a memory foam bed.... sure sometimes, I'm stiff when I wake up, but nothing like I used to deal with... they cost alot more, but I strongly suggest them... they are great!

We went mattress shopping today and got sticker shock! These things average $1000-$1500 for a queen mattress and boxspring. We saw some get up to nearly $5000. Is this average? Neither of us have ever bought a mattress, so we have no clue but I guess I just assumed an average not all fancy one would be closer to $500.

Now don't get me wrong, I want a quality mattress and a comfortable one at that, but I'm not really seeing the value difference between all of them.

Good quality sets are not cheap. I think our Kind totalled out at about $2,500 for the set. We opted out of the pillow top but then later I added quality memory foam topper because. I'm glad I did. It's amazingly comfortable. You can't feel a single movement around you and it really feels like the bed is molded to you.

Don't go cheap though. You will spend so much time there and need quality sleep.

I don't know if there's an Original Mattress Factory store out here, but if there is, check them out.

+1

My family has bought several from them over the years. I just bought my current set this year. Queen sized set, double pillow top (so you can flip the mattress). I think it was about $750 and I would happily buy the same thing again. I don't even bother shopping anywhere else for a mattress set.

you've been to mattress firm. thats a start. I use to work there for a year and half and pretty much your going to be spending a good amount of money no matter where you go. the thing is you spend a 1/3 of your life in bed and believe me you WANT to invest in something nice for yourself. if you think about it in long term view. From mattress firm you get a 15yr warranty if your bed lasts that long without using the warranty and you spend $1,000 on a bed roughly 18 cents a day for a good nights sleep. what you should do is go to the mattress firm store on Morse road across the street from krieger Ford. What you can do is look for clearance beds that have a warranty that are cheaper. OR HASSLE the Shit out of the sales person...he can drop price if he chooses to (just takes away from his commission) all you have to do is HASSLE. also the morse road store is in a bad location so not many high end people wanting to spend money go there so the sales people will go down in price or free extra's (delivery,frame, mattresspad) all you have to do is HASSLE!

hope this helps

Kthnxbye!

you can get them to knock money off. we just bought a king pillow top. i forget the name and brand right now but it was like 1600. Got them to sell it for 1k and include a bed frame. they delieverd it for 50bucks and moved the old bed into a spare bedroom (which they tore down and set back up there). and set the new one up also. But moral of the story cash talks and dont be afarid to ask.

I talked the lady down at Mattress Firm a bit, their 'sticker price' was $1299 on the one we liked, then there were having a $200 off sale for Columbus day, so it was $1099, then I got her to knock off $200 more, give us one free pillow ($80 sticker price but they are nice) and give me half off a 2nd $80 pillow. Then I got her to do free delivery ($50) charge. This is just for the mattress/boxspring since we have a nice wood frame already.

It was for a Simmons Cape York Queen bed set. Anyone know how to look up invoice on these things, LOL.

Thanks for the responses, I do understand the 15 year warranty offered by Mattress Firm but I have do reservations about that, 1, will the be around if I need to claim a warranty, and 2, will they even accept a claim. It just seems that I am paying quite a bit for the 'warranty' when I don't even think I will keep it 15 years nor do I think I will ever be able to take advantage of it.

Guest tbutera2112
Pillow top. Which are nice! That's what we have. HOWEVER, these lend to the bed being non-flippable. Something they usually actually advertise as an advantage, however it leaves you to 50% mattress life as you are not able to flip the mattress for constant and consistent wear... think of it like rotating tires.

i can flip my pillow top??

it has pillow top on both sides...do they make them with a pillow top on just one side?

also, they make slip covers you can buy that slide on over the mattress and under the sheets, theyre a pillow top slip on type deal...so you can still flip it

we got ours from the place on broad in front of meijer in blacklick. its in the little building with scramblers, radio shack, and a pizza place. we got a queen size with boxspring, it was like 699, and they paid the tax and free delivery next day.

mattresses are almost like cars, you never pay sticker price. you can always haggle them to a point

They closed

I bought mine about 4 years ago at Sears and paid 2200.00 for it. And yeah I thought I was gonna get one for 200 or 300.

LOL HOLY FUCK. Ok, I went from thinking $500 to it being around $1000, but you went from thinking $200 to it being $2200. :eek: You didnt even have to go home and think about it? lol i wish i was ballin like you.

My top of the line Serta retailed for $3200 on sale for $2400, negotiated down to $1200 with delivery, box spring, and cover.

Wholesale cost on the set was slightly higher than what I paid as I was working off the dealer price list. I have no idea why HHGregg was willing to make such a deal. 2 years later it is still perfect, no sagging or low spots.