Purchasing a new car

ImUrOBGYN

Advice?

I've purchased a few cars, inlcuding two new ones in my life. I've learned a few tricks and what not to fall for with experience and having been a salesmen myself at one point. However, it's been a long time and there's always room to learn more and I'd like to learn any tips/tricks that you guys have learned/used in purchasing a new car.

Also, if you have any opinions on any Ohio Toyota dealerships, whatever they may be, plz drop there here, as well. Thanks people!

I always express tons of interest, test drive, then sit down to talk numbers. Always talking about much I want "that vehicle" Then I will ask for a huge discount on the sticker price seemingly out of nowhere, which they will deny on the spot cause they're manager would never "allow me to give it to you for that price". Then I walk out. I usually do this at multiple dealerships, and await callbacks. On the last vehicle I purchased I got about 4k off plus extra stuff not normally included in the trim level we bought, and the one before that, 3k off. Timing helps (end of year/month), but most dealerships want sales.

Also never pay for doc fees, unless they are giving you a break elsewhere. Total bullshit.

Edited by sol740

Also never pay for doc fees, unless they are giving you a break elsewhere. Total bullshit.

Doc fees are a way the dealership saves a few bucks when paying taxes. I will drop price of the vehicle before I wave a doc fee. 250.00 x XXXX amount of sales = alot of money saved on paying taxes.

Doc fees are a way the dealership saves a few bucks when paying taxes. I will drop price of the vehicle before I wave a doc fee. 250.00 x XXXX amount of sales = alot of money saved on paying taxes.

Which is why I said unless they gave you a break elsewhere. :) I don't really care what it says on paper if I feel like I am getting a good price.

We're shopping for 2009-10 new or very slightly used. I'm currently requesting quotes for a v6 4wd RAV4. (Been very hard to beat the RAV4) I've literally emailed almost every single Toyota dealer in Ohio with what I'm looking for. I like them to see who they're competing with on quotes. :D

Any more advice just keep it coming. I feel I'm fairly savvy when it comes to this kind of thing, but it's always nice to hear something new or something I may've not considered before. And I'm getting older and forget stuff, too. lol

We do a lot of work with Tansky through work, I think the only other option is Toyota West or Toyota Direct in town.

Keep referring to the idea that "I was offered this price at another dealership, can you do better?" Keep trying and see how far you can get. Guy at the shop managed to drop 7-8K off the sticker on a G8 GT using this method. It took him almost 3 weeks to buy a car, just be patient. The right car will come along soon enough.

focus on the final price including taxes and fees, let the dealer figure out how they want to put it down on paper. They have to charge you the same doc fee as every other customer or they could get in deep crap, so when they say they'll "waive the doc fee" they're actually just changing the price or freight fees to compensate.

Different dealers charge different amounts of their fees too, so you need to make sure they're included in the quotes to ensure you're getting the best deal.

Mom's got a RAV4 V6 4WD and it scoots for what it is (3200lbs, ~250hp IIRC). I'd dare say it has too much power, an engine in between the 2.4 and 3.5 for that car would be perfect (neglecting towing or gvwr). It rides very nice. I got around 25-26mpg coming back from Florida (except for in the mountains). I really like the size, stance and driver position/feeling it it overall.

The FJ and RAV4 are completely different vehicles. I like the FJ, but I'd only suggest it if you're going to off road or tow. Truck chassis are only better than a car/unibody chassis (apples to apples) in a few areas that most drivers are rarely if every going to use. For at least 95% of people from a ride/use perspective only, then RAV4 is going to be a much better car for them.

We're shopping for 2009-10 new or very slightly used. I'm currently requesting quotes for a v6 4wd RAV4. (Been very hard to beat the RAV4) I've literally emailed almost every single Toyota dealer in Ohio with what I'm looking for. I like them to see who they're competing with on quotes. :D

Any more advice just keep it coming. I feel I'm fairly savvy when it comes to this kind of thing, but it's always nice to hear something new or something I may've not considered before. And I'm getting older and forget stuff, too. lol

My truck is an 08 with 26k miles on it. Any interest in that? 4door, 4.0 v6 etc etc. I have it posted lazily in the for sale section.

We considered quite a few cars. Nissan Rogue and Xterra, Toyota Rav and FJ, Jeep Patriot, Subaru Forester N/A and turbo and the Outback, Mitsu Outlander, Honda CRV. There maybe a couple I'm forgetting. The list quickly narrowed and even more so after test driving them and checking bang for buck. We found all the 4cyl, except the turbo Forester, to be woefully underpowered. Also, it must be a 4wd or awd, so the engine is stressing even more. This knocked out quite a few and left us with the RAV, FJ, and Xterra. They 3 have similar engine sizes, give or take a half liter and 10hp. The Rav is roomier than the FJ and comparable if not more so than the Xterra. The Rav is a much more suited to our need, however. The Xterra is an excellent off roader, but is completely beat out by the FJ, an equally good off roader and the RAV in most other categories for us. The Xterra was bad on gas milage, very trucky and when you got into it, the motor just sounded thrashed and harsh. Interior was nicer in the Toyotas, as well. Road noise and intrusion was worse than the FJ and Rav. The Rav was slightly more roomy than the FJ, better visibility, gas milage and performance. Pricing was close. The FJ is better off road, that's it. And since this is more for her than I, the RAV was the right choice and still quite capable with the 4wd package. And yes, it's suprisingly quick for what it is. I didn't like the Rav's before, but the newer ones are pretty nice.

Things are moving pretty good, so far. I'll update later.

My truck is an 08 with 26k miles on it. Any interest in that? 4door, 4.0 v6 etc etc. I have it posted lazily in the for sale section.

Have you gotten laid in it? If you have, I may not be able to afford it. ;)

Seriously, though, it just wouldn't fit what we're needing.

I just tell this salesman what I am going to pay after I drive the vehicle. If they won't do it, I walk out. I don't do the negotiating bullcrap. Everytime I have done it, they want the sale and call me the next day and I get my price.