Should we buy a DLP TV, or is that tech just on the way out?

Nitrousbird

LOL, you think electronics have resale value. ANY electronic you buy will be obsolete within a few months. If you buy a LCD, next year they'll release TVs with twice the refresh rate and contrast. You'll see your TV on a Black Friday special for $900. If you buy a Plasma... well I've read that Plasma is going the way of the dinosaur also.

Just get what fits your wants/needs/wallet at the particular time you're ready to buy. If you wait for the latest/greatest/newest-tech-ist device you'll be waiting forever.

Edit: When I bought my Mitsu DLP I looked at several 50-55" LCDs at the $1,000 price point. The DLP offered better picture and more screen size at a lower cost. I chose what suited my needs at the best value.

Plasma is as good as gone... too much power consumption and they get wayyy to hot.

Please Read

Before you consider a Mitsubishi DLP, you might want to read the above link.

I've had the 52" from them, ever since 1080p came to be. After the first year, the air flow warning problem came up. I just ignored it for awhile and lived with it turning itself off once in a blue moon (no warrenty). Then the lamp went out. Since I had to replace the lamp, I'd figure I fix the loose air flow sensor problem. Took about 2 hours since you can only get the the sensor wires if you had hands of a 3 year old. Anyways, it's fixed now and everything's working fine. Just waiting for the lamp to go out again.

Oh and I think I saw something in one of those post in the link that the 65" Mitsubishi is not really rated at 1080p and they loop holed something to be able to claim that. Didn't really look into that too much, since it didn't effect me any.

I'd totally go for LCD if it wasn't for the price for big ones being insane. I did find a 65" Panasonic Plasma for $2350 shipped with a supposed anti-glare technology that's worth taking a look at. Having a wall-mounted TV would be sweet, but at 1k more, may not be worth it.

I have a 65" Panny in our basement. You'll love it. 100% anti-glare. Have the same screen on our 42"a nd 50" Panny Plasmas. The 42" is in a bedroom and the 50 is in our family room with a wall of window on two walls.

I used to work for Panny.....you can't beat them for reliability, color accuracy and true blacks. Pioneer was the only one that would come close. They sold their technology to Panny when they exited the market.

Who complains about how their 50" TV isn't good enough? This thread is ridiculous.

It isn't. A college kid in an apartment has no reason to complain; an adult with a large living room has every right.

We went back to HH Gregg today.

- That 65" Panasonic Plasma I saw for a good price; well, their anti-reflective technology is a fucking joke. That thing was like looking in a mirror, and it wasn't even bright back there. I could sit and watch all of Sawmill traffic go by.

- It was amazing how different the DLP's looked. Same series but a different size, the 65" looked like ass compared to the 73"...proof that they things can be dialed in to look a lot better if you spend a bit of time calibrating them.

- Saw a 60" Aquos for $2500. My wife and I felt the size of it was bigger for sure, and the picture was much nicer than our current TV, but felt it would still feel small in the room.

At this point I think we are going to look at a used DLP and see if we can score a good price until large LCD technology becomes cheaper, then upgrade to that.

hhgregg had the 65" mitsu for 1299 a few months ago. prob cheaper now

They have last years model for $1199, and this years for $1329. This years adds a couple new features, and the TV case looks a lot more up to date (almost looks like an LCD from the front).

what are your thoughts on a projector and screen?

Could be a way to get everything you're looking for.. size, HD is available, and you wouldn't have to move a 300lb TV.

You didn't read the thread, did you.

Projectors + lots of windows = aweful idea.

And DLP's don't weigh that much. Rear projection CRT's do.

You didn't read the thread, did you.

Projectors + lots of windows = aweful idea.

And DLP's don't weigh that much. Rear projection CRT's do.

+1. my 27" old bedroom TV weighs probably over 100lbs. my 60" MIGHT weigh 50lbs. the only reason i cant/wont try to move it on my own is its just too big for me to get a good handle on it.

lol at resale.

Sounds like for the money you want to spend, a DLP is your only option.

We are willing to spend more money, but not 4k+ on a TV.

Resale is important; flat panels are going to be around for a while. They will all lose value, but if you are still selling something that is current or semi-current tech, it will lose far less value then something that is a dead technology.

For instance, if you bought a 50" LCD last year, the prices haven't fallen much on those, and use you wouldn't lose much at all on those.

I e-mailed every 65"+ DLP seller on Craigslist - so far, I've gotten two idiots that think their TV's are worth way more than they are. One was wanted a few hundred bucks more than I can get it brand new shipped (and his was 2 years old); the other wants $50 less than I can get it brand new. Hopefully not all of these folks are idiots; I probably need to search Cleveland and Cinncy Craigslists as well.

If you want your cake and eat it too, your gonna have to pony up and and spend some money, plan and simple. You sound like my Dad, "Tighter than 2 coats of paint"

You can either wait and wait and wait till the BIG LCD Tvs come down in price or buy what you want now and enjoy it.

..... WTF is all this talk about resale value of a TV? It's not a car, most people by a TV and have it for 10+ years. Most people think of resale value on big purcahse items (New car, House, land, boat, etc).

I have a Samsung 56" 1080P DLP and love it but if I had a big open room, I'd hate it because of looking at it on an angle, dull and dim. I view it straight on so no issues for me.

LED LCD is the future and will be the standard for many years to come...

Re-sale is always important.

We thought the primary TV would be the 50" Sony for years to come...it's not. And we would sell it, but the re-sale just isn't there.

My worry is 4 years from now, it won't be worth jack squat. My 57" was $2400 in 2003. Now I'd be happy to get $400. The 50" was about $1500 3 years ago, now worth about 600-700. Yet if the technology is still current, the values will stay high.

A projector in anything but a dark room looks like washed out ass. Will do one in the basement when we finish it, but that's the only place I will ever have one.

LOL, we all know I'm cheap but seriously. You're complaining that you got to enjoy your 57" tv for 7 years at a cost of $.94 a day? I mean c'mon, isn't that worth it? Who needs resale when its that cheap? And your 50", oh noes, it cost you $1.37/day and lucky you both of them still work great and serve their purpose, all while continuing to cost you less money/day.

LOL, we all know I'm cheap but seriously. You're complaining that you got to enjoy your 57" tv for 7 years at a cost of $.94 a day? I mean c'mon, isn't that worth it? Who needs resale when its that cheap? And your 50", oh noes, it cost you $1.37/day and lucky you both of them still work great and serve their purpose, all while continuing to cost you less money/day.

LOL, I didn't buy my 57" new, just have the receipt when the last guy bought it new. I bought it used 2 and a half years ago for $550. :) I don't care about per-day costs, I care about buying a tech that isn't dying. Seems the more I research, the more it looks like dead tech. LED is probably the new kid on the block.

Now I had some guy trying to tell me how Sharp and Vizio now make them, and Panasonic is coming out with DLP's, while Samsung and Toshiba still make them. Yet not one of their websites list a single DLP TV. Only on Craigslist. Being the nice guy that I am, I made sure to send links to all of their TV product listings. :)

Also saw some guy trying to sell his 2003 LCD rear projection (70") for $3000. Yes, 3k...tried to call it a DLP too. These Craigslisters are amazing.

Have a 62 inch dlp w/ stand for sale(at my parents).. the bulb went out so I purchased a new one on friday, they went on saturday and bought a LED set to replace.

You have a PM.

i just got rid of my samsung 50" dlp. picture was great but it was only 720p.

i picked up a 47" phillips LCD 1080p, picture is alot better, and its more up to date. plus i wanted something to hang on the wall, and get rid of our stand. making the room a little bigger.

i like the look of the flat panels better.

and like i said, the picture is amazing on the new 47"