Has anyone ever shipped an engine?

Mallard

I did it once.. never again.

Basically, you need to put the motor on a crate and have a freight company pick it up for shipment unless you can somehow take it to a loading dock.

Can't for the life of me remember what freight company I used though. Google some freight shippers and get several different quotes.. some will even bid on getting your business by offering you the lowest rate.

I'm selling my engine and a guy from Phoenix is interested. Anyone have any idea of what companies and how much it would cost to do this?

Thanks

I've used fex-ex ground and conway. It wil cost about 150 bucks and u have to crate it, wrap it in plastic, drain all the fluids and strap it.

Just crate it good and sturdy and drain fluids. Plastic off like stated. You can crate it easily with a few 2x4's. If you cant find a skid, make your own the build up the crate around the engine using wood to support the engine as you build up. Should only take about 1/2 hr. You can usually save yourself money if you have a truck and can deliver it to a shipping facility. They can unload it for you at the facility. Good luck

Guest tbutera2112
I would do what someone had happen to them and ship it in a cardboard box through UPS. Then you should bitch on here about the box being all torn up when delivered and blame the shipping company. Thats just me though....

fo'sho' :cool:

Guest Removed
I've used fex-ex ground and conway. It wil cost about 150 bucks and u have to crate it, wrap it in plastic, drain all the fluids and strap it.

if going from port to port..its some times cheaper.

i shipped a honda engine for $75 this way..i have also shipped a BBF this way aswell. i think that one cost me $125.

drain it, and bolt it to a pallet, wrap it, then build around it with cross bracing.

FedEx Ground is the way to go. My job involves shipping a LOT of heavy and fragile crates, we've used FedEx, UPS ground, Conway, R&L, and Yellow. FedEx is best, we've never had trouble with them. Conway was the worst, they smashed more stuff than they delivered correctly, and it was a HASSLE dealing with the claims.

Bolt the motor to a regular pallet using 2x4s under the front mounts. At the rear, use a couple of the bellhousing boltholes to locate a 2x4 horizontally, then nail that to some vertical 2x4s that are nailed to a 2x4 nailed across the pallet. Frame the whole thing with vertical 2x4s every foot or so, then a square of more 2x4 around the top. You do want some strength in it, having the motor come loose is BAD.