pondering

AJ

so after this years racing activities i have the itch to build a road race corvette.

if i sell my car and pick up a high mile or salvage title C5 for half of what i sell my car for that leaves me with the other half for mods and a trailer. the first things on the mod list would be a cage, seats, suspension and aero mods (ricer wing and a splitter ect.)

if i budget the money right and get some donated parts then i should be able to also rebuild the engine, upgrade the brakes and get tires.

now if you had the funds, ability and tools to do it would you build a race car? i just don't know if i want to part with my current vette yet.

i'm thinking something like this.

http://image.vetteweb.com/f/29443227+w750+st0/vemp_0402_06_z+infineon_raceway_chevrolet_corvette_c5_r+grey_race_car.jpg

i could also autocross it (as can ashley since she really likes it) from time to time.

Out of curiousity, how would you get "donated" parts?

I guess it just depends on how much you like your current vette. If you drive it a lot on the street and you're happy with it, I wouldn't part with it. Although I do like your idea and I think it would be pretty cool. Why exactly did you sell that 1st gen Camaro you built?

In before my dad starts pushing shifter karts again.

Seriously though, that would be neat. Just remember the only time you can enjoy a race car is at a sanctioned event. Which costs money on top of the car, are you going to be able to do enough events / track days to satisfy yourself wanting to drive the car? The car you have right now is pretty versatile, race cars are not.

Perhaps you would want to look here:

http://www.tccracing.com/joomla/index.php

In theory, these could still be street legal (more or less depending on class). They also run in some SCCA regional road race events (and keep their own group results) and can often be run in "ITE" in SCCA endurance events. And of course, I'm sure you can find a solo class....

(and just for Sean - shifters are a great way to keep yourself sharp for not much money!!!!)

If competing, it's going to take a LOT more money.

Ex-fucking-xactly.

Go talk to Mark, Jack or Fasil (over on track addicts if you don't know them or haven't meet them).

They have ~90s civics (Fasil) and early 90's Neon's that probably have about as much in them as you are talking about building a 2000's vette for. So I think you are drastically underestimating the initial cost estimate to just build a car. Aforementioned cars on slicks are probably faster than your current car around mid ohio on street tires (iirc mid-low 1:40's). I know you love vettes, but you don't need that much power to go fast and compete at some level. And lastly, hate to use a cliche, the cost of the car is just part of the entry fee. It's also just about disposable. You wreck the car (or even get wrecked into) and the car is usually done. Hit the reset button and dump another 20-30k into it (probably what I guess you will have into the vette) to go out and 'compete' again.

When one of those guys got bumped off of the track last season (2008) they pulled ~10k out of the air and built a car in a month... that was using parts from the old car and building the car themselves. All because someone else bumped them off of the track, not by their own doing. That's the reality of racing.

I'd suggest to start doing HPDE's, then TT & getting your competition license first. That'll probably take up next year for you and I think you can do most if not all of that in your current car. Just assuming you haven't been through all of this yet.

Go talk to the guys on track addicts that have been down this path, they can offer much better advice than me.

Here's a good article to read. http://www.speedsportlife.com/2009/03/27/avoidable-contact-25-exploring-the-pyramid-of-speed-the-real-costs-and-stories-behind-entry-level-sedan-racing/

Edited by Trouble Maker

AJ, Can't say I haven't been down that road of thought myself...esp with the Porsche gone now. My biggest concern is how much I'd really use a dedicated track car and if I'd feel let down that I dumped all of my extra money into something that I ended up using maybe 5-6 times a year. The fact that the majority of my detailing income happens on the weekends too when I'd otherwise be racing is a bit of a conflict. You're the only one that can really answer if you can justify it or not.

From what little I've see of you behind the wheel I think you'd do very well, be competative and have fun if you decided to go that route.

Have you thought about Nasa Time Trial competition with your current car as maybe a bridge into wheel to wheel racing? For me Time trials is something that I'm probably more likely to do in place of actual racing becase the level of prep can be soo much lower due to the rules structure and you can compete in a car that's driven to and from the track (maybe not recommended but possible).

Andy

Just one more thought...

After building a couple of race cars for SCCA, and buying and fixing a couple of cars, it's much cheaper to buy a tub with a good cage and a pile of parts on it and bring it up to your specs than it is to build from scratch. Even a car that has been sitting a while - if the cage is well done and the tub is straight and solid, you typically get a lot of stuff you can continue to use. Let someone else take the "devaluation" and then "upgrade" what they started with - much more cost effective.

Of course you still need those big tires and lots of gas......

Oh yea, and a bigger tow vehicle......

With a trailer....

Enclosed is nice, with room for spares, tools, tires, fuel.....

Which generally means an even bigger tow vehicle......

Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of fun, but none of it is cheap!!!

the only reason i don't want to use my car that i have is i don't want to trash it.

i sold the camaro because i just couldn't do what i really wanted to do with it because of the car. i couldn't make it happen like i could with a 69 camaro (4 inches wider than a 67-68)

i must not be seeing where all the costs are, plus i do all my own work so thats alot of money saved.

its not about autocross paul its about road racing.

now i know i won't be able to race it every weekend or maybe more than 2-3 times a year for that matter but i could still autocross with it.

i didnt say autox you jack hole some thign like this lol

an open wheel type car.... you coudl auto x it an road course it

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2526/1081/31313040009_large.jpg

i just dont see you spending a shit ton of $ on something you will only use a few times a year... the vette u have now u can daily drive , drive to teh race... race al day an drive home... vs a fully prepped non street legal car that u have to trailer an only use a few times to me is a waste of $ just get a sti :)

i must not be seeing where all the costs are

To be competitive over $1000 in tires per weekend plus a set of rains and intermediates on hand in case of rain.

Fuel , a tank a day in the car and 12mpg or less in towing the car to the track.

Entry fees, $300 and up for NASA events plus test days.

Other expendables like brake pads and rotors, oil and other fluids.

And don't forget the $1500 minimum investment in safety gear that you'll be wearing, even more for higher quality gear.