You know...GT-R's are fail

CRed05

Guest tbutera2112

lol at this guy

This car can eat Porsche's for breakfast when discussing performance, outside this criteria it struggles.

This is an important post Crispy Rice!

We need answers from Mr Nissan.

Could this be a new optimisation request, please disarm the bonnet rams!

Questions I want to know could these rams activate if you clip a curb with the splitter, if the vehicle is stationary and was bumped by another during say a parking manoeuvre?

Can you imagine the new "sport" if the Neds find out you can pop a bonnet if you karate kick the front of a R35!

Electronic Wizards on the forum we need your help to disconnect these rams.....

he just gave anyone reading this some bad ideas....gtr cuts you off in traffic... follow them to a parking lot...wait till theyre in the store, and then kick their bumper with your foot and do 11k damage

So everyone is angry at a safety system and is saying GTR' suck because OBVIOUSLY Nissan WANTED to implement this on their new track monster?

Honestly, that blows for the driver. There are crazy safety regulations going into all new cars these days and this is obviously over the line. If you get hit buy a car at a resonable speed you will die or be seriously injured. Thats it. End of story.

There's no way. From what I'm reading it appears the OP of that thread got taken to the cleaners. Sounds like a dishonest shop to me. One member there posted that the hood hinges are only $49.99.

Edit: North American cars don't have the pedestrian protection system.

Guest tbutera2112
There's no way. From what I'm reading it appears the OP of that thread got taken to the cleaners. Sounds like a dishonest shop to me. One member there posted that the hood hinges are only $49.99.

doesnt include the price of the rams though

hell thats not even the bulk of the cost...says it needs a new ecu, imagine the cost on that

I don't understand how that would protect a pedestrian?

I am guessing it makes the body go over the windshield in a pedestrian crash?

This is for slow-speed impacts, such as driving through a congested cty where someone could step out in front of you. The hood pops up like an air-bag and will buckle when a body hits it in order to cushion the impact.

It'll be interesting to see if punks start whacking the front bumpers of GTRs at stoplights..

Edit: North American cars don't have the pedestrian protection system.

Really? Maybe there is no federally mandated requirement for such or standard test with the number/star put out by NHTSA or IIHS. I'm not sure on this either way, that's why I say maybe. That doesn't mean they don't take pedestrian crashes into account when designing the cars. Especially considering that most cars most makers make are sold in many places across the world, where other countries do already have requirements on vehicles for pedestrian crashes (I'm pretty sure Europe does).

EDIT: Oh, you were talking specifically about GTR's. I get what you were saying now. I read that as a general statement.

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/733/releases/5193

PEDESTRIAN INJURY MITIGATIONAcura's safety interests extend beyond care for vehicle occupants. The TL hood area is specially designed to deform if contact is made with a pedestrian. Underneath the hood are energy-absorbing supports and hood hinges, and the windshield-wiper pivots are also deformable in the event that a pedestrian contacts these areas. Research shows that features such as these dramatically improve a pedestrian's chance of survival if struck by a moving vehicle.

Pedestrian safety systems in cars are a great idea, some idiot might hit you or someone you love while you are walking one day and you'll be thankful that front of the car was designed with you in mind.

I think Draco-Rex has the right idea, I bet those 'rams' pop up when a frontal impact like a pedestrian is detected and they act as shock absorbers if someone where to hit the hood, greatly slowing the deceleration of the object (body, head, etc) hitting the hood.

That guy very probably got taken to the cleaners, or his insurance did. There are also mitigating factors in that price we don't know about. How much labor was involved with repairing those systems? Lots of times the ECU's for air bag systems (similar to this) are rated to be used once, or a set number of times due to the electrical stress on the 'firing' system. After that they will no longer operate, even if you replace the air bags (or in the case the 'rams'). In case anyone was wondering why the ECU needed replaced. We've all ran into cases where the manufacturer paid no attention to what it would cost or how much time it might take to service a system.

Pedestrian safety requirements are a newer thing for Europe. I believe there is supposed to be a certain amount of "crushable area" (I just made up that term) on top of the hood in order to cushion a body falling on top. Cars that have the hood very close to teh top of the engine would need a system like the GTR's in order to meet their requirement, while you may just notice hoods being designed differently on other cars.

Pedestrian safety requirements are a newer thing for Europe. I believe there is supposed to be a certain amount of "crushable area" (I just made up that term) on top of the hood in order to cushion a body falling on top. Cars that have the hood very close to the top of the engine would need a system like the GTR's in order to meet their requirement, while you may just notice hoods being designed differently on other cars.

You betcha. This has been a trend for years actually. They keep raising the amount of space between the hood (or bonnet?) and the "hard" parts of the motor, ex. valve covers. They raised it by, or to, (can't remember) roughly 2 inches a few years back, and a lot of vehicles including the sort of newish (at the time) mini cooper S had to redesign alot of parts to comply. Luckily for Porsche, the engine is in the back so they can keep sexy low hoodlines. Nice!

Yes it's super gay, and none of these expensive complicated systems is going to replace intelligence. They're just required aids that nanny-states can cram down your throat. It's kinda like the 5mph crash bumpers that were standardized a long time ago, but far far less useful. I love my old audi battering ram bumpers, you can hit stuff and they pop right back!

Yes it's super gay, and none of these expensive complicated systems is going to replace intelligence. They're just required aids that nanny-states can cram down your throat. It's kinda like the 5mph crash bumpers that were standardized a long time ago, but far far less useful. I love my old audi battering ram bumpers, you can hit stuff and they pop right back!

dumb people pay taxes, gotta keep them from killing themselves somehow

So everyone is angry at a safety system and is saying GTR' suck because OBVIOUSLY Nissan WANTED to implement this on their new track monster?

Honestly, that blows for the driver. There are crazy safety regulations going into all new cars these days and this is obviously over the line. If you get hit buy a car at a resonable speed you will die or be seriously injured. Thats it. End of story.

i sure haven't heard of any ridiculous costing 'hood popper' from ferrari, lambo, etc. who knows, maybe they actually had some smart people in the design room that came up with a cheaper system. i mean, does this really need single use gas struts and a single use ECU, or could we make these resettable to save a little coin? what an idea, huh?

i sure haven't heard of any ridiculous costing 'hood popper' from ferrari, lambo, etc. who knows, maybe they actually had some smart people in the design room that came up with a cheaper system. i mean, does this really need single use gas struts and a single use ECU, or could we make these resettable to save a little coin? what an idea, huh?

Or the fact that Ferrari people dont need to bitch about it because they have enough money to blow? Not defending the Nissan but it is a rare car.

Or the fact that Ferrari people dont need to bitch about it because they have enough money to blow? Not defending the Nissan but it is a rare car.

Or maybe because Porsche's, most Ferrari's have the engine's in the rear they don't have to worry about it.

either way, that doesn't justify something like this costing this much to fix. does it really need its own, one time use ECU???

you still don't hear about these kinds of issues from MBs, bimmers, audis, etc.

either way, that doesn't justify something like this costing this much to fix. does it really need its own, one time use ECU???

you still don't hear about these kinds of issues from MBs, bimmers, audis, etc.

No doubt that the car is build with a lot of fail. However you have to pay to play and ifNissan is your thing you gotta pay to be the guy with the new one. Id much rather see an R34 with a 500hp any day though.