Can there be 2 insurance policies on 1 car?

evan9381

so while looking for a few papers of mine in my g/fs car, i find an envelope from progressive that was forwarded from our old address to the house i bought in march (somewhat recent). basically said she was covered thru them for april-oct 2009. i also saw she got what looked to me like a renewal notice last month (i used to have progressive, so i know what the renewal packets look like)...she had told me that she dropped progressive almost 3 years ago to stay on her parents insurance because it was cheaper... well then i find an envelope from her parents insurance covered dec 08 to june 09...on it it has name insured of her dad, and on the back it says "other drivers", and "driven by unmarried female driver age 22, 23 or 24" (ie, her).

so im a) kind of dumbfounded why there are 2 insurance policies both covering her driving the car and b) wondering if its possible/legal to have more than one insurance covering a single car.

anyone?

yeah...and this is an issue to i brought up with her...whole other story though.

i talked to her and she made up some dumb excuse about she thought it was something else. i guess shes going to call tomorrow and see what she can do, since she has been covered since she bought the car end of 2006 thru her parents policy. im thinking shes going to be SOL, but who knows. just pisses me off she complains about never having money, and shes friggin paying insurance premiums on a car thats already covered

You cant insure the same vehicle on more than one policy. As a driver you can be listed on any number of policies but not the same car. (Insurance agent, so I know)

See if you can get her parents policy showing her as a "named driver" and the car being covered and send it to your company. They may give you some money back because the car was already covered on another policy. Worth a shot.

The reason the car can't be covered at two companies is because of a claim. You then would have two companies fighting over who will and won't pay the claim and trust me both won't want to pay out on a claim.

You cant insure the same vehicle on more than one policy. As a driver you can be listed on any number of policies but not the same car. (Insurance agent, so I know)

See if you can get her parents policy showing her as a "named driver" and the car being covered and send it to your company. They may give you some money back because the car was already covered on another policy. Worth a shot.

The reason the car can't be covered at two companies is because of a claim. You then would have two companies fighting over who will and won't pay the claim and trust me both won't want to pay out on a claim.

good to hear from someone who knows exactly what they're talking about..

i told her she needs to request statements from her bank from oct 03 (when she got car) to current, as well as something from her parents insurance showing she was covered for that whole time...waiting on both to come in the mail, then will be contacting progressive to go from there.

thanks for the info!

I did that with my one of my cars.. I switched and for some reason they didn't cancel the policy and all I had to do was send in proof of insurance from when I said I had it and they refunded all the money.

Since the other policy was in her parents name have one of them call and ask for the proof of when the car was insured. Having a fax number to give them will speed of the process immensely.

no fax number to have them send it to. hopefully she actually did call and ask for it and it will be here soon

• 3 weeks later...

so just to update (since i know you're all in suspense over the outcome)..

almost a month later, and still getting stories of "i called and requested XXXX" and still nothing here, i decided to do something about it. told her we had to run some errands, get her in the car, and take a 25 minute road trip to her insurance agents office. get paperwork showing she was insured on that policy from 12/18/06 thru current.

called progressive, tell them that shes had coverage and this policy was supposed to be cancelled in 2006 but still having debits. she told us all we need to do is fax in a paper signed by her saying "please cancel back to 12/18/06 due to duplicate coverage" and send proof with policy number, her name, and car listed as being covered. said we can follow up in 1-2 days to get a status on a refund from premiums paid from dec 2006 until now.

from what the woman told me on saturday, theres been $4,119 paid since 12/28/09, and there will be like 10 days prorated from dec 18-28, so maybe another 40 bucks.

looks like g/f will get to pay off a loan she had to get from her grandpa (emergency root canal + no dental insurance), get new brakes for the mazda3, and take me out to a nice all you can eat sushi dinner. and still have $ left over.

and big thanks to gaewsky1 for the info!!

so just to update (since i know you're all in suspense over the outcome)..

almost a month later, and still getting stories of "i called and requested XXXX" and still nothing here, i decided to do something about it. told her we had to run some errands, get her in the car, and take a 25 minute road trip to her insurance agents office. get paperwork showing she was insured on that policy from 12/18/06 thru current.

called progressive, tell them that shes had coverage and this policy was supposed to be cancelled in 2006 but still having debits. she told us all we need to do is fax in a paper signed by her saying "please cancel back to 12/18/06 due to duplicate coverage" and send proof with policy number, her name, and car listed as being covered. said we can follow up in 1-2 days to get a status on a refund from premiums paid from dec 2006 until now.

from what the woman told me on saturday, theres been $4,119 paid since 12/28/09, and there will be like 10 days prorated from dec 18-28, so maybe another 40 bucks.

looks like g/f will get to pay off a loan she had to get from her grandpa (emergency root canal + no dental insurance), get new brakes for the mazda3, and take me out to a nice all you can eat sushi dinner. and still have $ left over.

and big thanks to gaewsky1 for the info!!

So.. basicly.. you helped her to get almost 4K returned to her.. and.. what are you getting out of it?

BJ and Steak at least?

LOL DAMN, $4119 for 3 years coverage. first that sucks to pay that much, but I guess it makes it all better when she gets it back, cha ching!! you should make her take you to vegas for a weekend or something

So.. basicly.. you helped her to get almost 4K returned to her.. and.. what are you getting out of it?

BJ and Steak at least?

i should show her this and say "look...a FEMALE said this...not one of the guys"...lol

but i better be getting some of the nicer things off my christmas list :)

and unlimited sushi dinner has already been negotiated.

X2