Does bad service give customers the right to withhold a mandatory tip?

87GT

Depends.

If the food sucks, or is barely cooked, or blah blah blah, thats the chefs fault. The waiter/waitress will probably apologize and hopefully they will refund it. If they can't refund it, that's the managements fault.

But in that case, that's bullshit if they were just dicking around while you had to do everything on your own. If the tip is supposed to be mandatory, add it to the fucking bill.

The solution is real simple. Just tell the manager to make the situation agreeable or you'll simply call the credit card company and dispute the charges. I've done it one time when in Florida on vacation. Within 3 days the credit was on my account.

All I said was I paid the tip in cash and didn't realize they put it on the bill. Reality was that the service sucked and I wasn't going to tip more than the $1 I left on the table. I don't know if they dinged the server, but I really didn't care. Hell, there was only four of us at the table even.

/situation. Certainly easier than being arrested and waiting the time of an officer like that.

The only time I give less than 15% (usually 20%) is if I can visibly see my server slacking off when I need something. Lets say my drink is empty or I need some extra napkins, and I see them sitting down at another table talking to friends. That really pisses me off, and they usually get 10%. If they are running around, obviously busy, and my drink is empty for a bit, or I have to wait for napkins, thats completely fine. They are busy, and they will get to me soon enough. In that case, full tip.

In this case, its part of the bill = illegal.

Pay the tip, and complain to the manager. Or never go back. Standard tip is 15%, not 18%. Either way you have to pay the tip. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Have you been to a restaurant lately? I see 18% mandatory tips all the time.

The only time I give less than 15% (usually 20%) is if I can visibly see my server slacking off when I need something. Lets say my drink is empty or I need some extra napkins, and I see them sitting down at another table talking to friends. That really pisses me off, and they usually get 10%. If they are running around, obviously busy, and my drink is empty for a bit, or I have to wait for napkins, thats completely fine. They are busy, and they will get to me soon enough. In that case, full tip.

"maybe she's just too fucking busy"

mr. white

--reservoir dogs

i almost always tip between 18-20%, because our kids make a fucking mess everywhere, and i usually am happy with the service. if i get shitty service, then i tip shitty---almost never happens. only time i can remember doing that in the last 5 years, was actually only about a month ago.

you do know that servers run around for in upwards of 8 hours so if they sit at a table there not always talking with tehre friends. they coudl be taking an order, listening to a customers issue ectect. so next time you see them sitting dont think the worse. dont get me wrong if thtere sittin there giggling an lauing an not an its obvious there not working then yea i can understand that.

Did you guys not read the fucking article? They had to get their own napkins, re-fill their own drinks from the bar, and wait over an hour for the salad. Fuck that noise. Why should they have to tip?

They could have handled it differently -- but the principle is the same. Everyone wants a damn hand-me-out. Do your fucking job. Does your mechanic pop 18% on your bill because he didn't blow your car up? No.

you do know that servers run around for in upwards of 8 hours so if they sit at a table there not always talking with tehre friends. they coudl be taking an order, listening to a customers issue ectect. so next time you see them sitting dont think the worse. dont get me wrong if thtere sittin there giggling an lauing an not an its obvious there not working then yea i can understand that.

I was a server for over 4 years, and understand this.

Did you guys not read the fucking article? They had to get their own napkins, re-fill their own drinks from the bar, and wait over an hour for the salad. Fuck that noise. Why should they have to tip?

They could have handled it differently -- but the principle is the same. Everyone wants a damn hand-me-out. Do your fucking job. Does your mechanic pop 18% on your bill because he didn't blow your car up? No.

You are correct, I didn't read the article. You are also right, they should have handled it differently to avoid the outcome.

However your example is horrible.

Even better idea... get the entire staff up to at least a minimum wage base, and make tips back into what they're supposed to be: a BONUS for delivering EXCEPTIONAL service. This BS about how waitstaff, hairdressers, and all sorts of other jobs get paid less than minimum wage on the *assumption* that tips will make up the difference is just that. BS. Sure, some places/people can do pretty damned well. Others, not so much. But at least if people know they're going to get minimum wage, maybe they'll be a little less inclined to treat you like shit after you stiffed them on your last visit (points at members of Cleveland sports teams...)

were going to charge you mandatory extra. lol

fuck that. a tip is a tip.

if there were 2 people arrested and 6 friends, they're partly retarded for not getting 2 checks with 4 people on each and then not having the mandatory tip.

Pretty sure they do it per table. If you have 8 people at a table and each have a separate check, you all pay 18% of your bill. It's based on party-size.

Pretty sure they do it per table. If you have 8 people at a table and each have a separate check, you all pay 18% of your bill. It's based on party-size.

This is true. I had this happen to me before and the mandatory tip plus just my food happened to be more then I had. I told the manager that I couldn't play the tip because I didn't have the money. They told me it is required and I had to pay it. It ended up being a little over $42. I gave them 2 20s all I had in my wallet and left. I never went back.