New Albany Shooting Range

gaewsky1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having worked at both NASR and BWSC, I can tell you both have pluses and negatives.

NASR has some retards that work there and they are out to take you for every dime you have. The owners there don't care much about anything and the range was about to fall apart when I was there over two years ago. There is no easy way to replace it, and once it's done it is going to incur a major expense for them to fix it. Right now memberships are their cash cow. They look to retire off about every gun they sell, margin-wise and their selection of guns is horrendous--the main reason I left. I didn't like working in a mail-order retail store. Plus, except for three staff members I know, the place is quite un-aware of the industry as a whole. There is quite a ghetto population and "un-safe" shooters that shoot there on a regular basis as well. This is a major negative in my book. A positive is the fact that it is quite local to about anywhere and save the weekends, it usually isn't too packed. The new memberships are quite a deal, though.

BWSC on the other hand is way out in the middle of no-where-- 40+ mins from virtually anywhere in North Columbus, even. However, you can't find the environment they have there anywhere else in the country save Scottsdale. BWSC has a deep selection of firearms (for being a range) and for most part the quite a knowledgeable staff. A lot of employees will come off as pretentious, but they don't have to worry about the ghetto traffic that NASR does. BWSC has one of the best trained staffs in the country and their training programs are exemplary as well. Their prices are high to a degree, but as I recall NASR was more expensive 80% of the time. BWSC also always had stuff when no one else did during the Obama scare for almost 90 days.

BWSC is also one of the cleanest ranges you will ever find. Plenty of corporate outings happen there on a weekly basis as well.

The way I see it, NASR is probably more suited for newer shooters, or those who just won't drive far to shoot. You'll pay a bit more on average, but it's a convenience thing. BWSC is the great escape, where you don't have to worry about too much ignorance out of the members who shoot there, but you're going to drive awhile to get there and be sure to avoid high-traffic times.

Anyway, that's just the way I see it and I worked at both places longer than 2 years each.

I enjoy BWSC more than any other range in the general Central Ohio area. I've been to NASR, powder room, and various outdoor ranges. I have to admit, I really like BWSC. I guess that's why I've been a member for the past few years. :cool:

I liked a lot about BWSC until I saw Rex's true colors, too. I wouldn't spend a dime to support that madness now.

I liked a lot about BWSC until I saw Rex's true colors, too. I wouldn't spend a dime to support that madness now.

I'm don't plan on re-newing my membership this year after hearing that. I still talk with Andy if I'm there shooting and he's there. Being that it's local I'd rather support them than Vance's, but again Rex kinda blew that one. Especially with my next purchases, I don't need the press.

Most of the time.........yes. I actually bought my 12 ga shotgun at New Albany for bout $30 less than i could get it at Vances.

I would have gone to Vance's and had them price match. That's how much I HATE NASR

What did he do?

We keep our member cards there on file since we go so often. This is our 2nd year of being members on a family membership. Everyone there knows us by name except this other manager. Last time we went another guy was having issue finding our cards since we both have different last names. The cards were filed under the wrong letter but were found. But once Ron saw both our cards he said "Why did they qualify for a family membership?" It shouldn't matter after the membership was purchased. Everyone else there has known we have been married since we became members. My wife happens to carry a copy of our marriage license since this unfortunately happens other places and showed it to him. It shouldn't have come to that though.

It used to be funny when people wouldn't believe us that we were married. Now it annoys me and offends my wife. The 2 big rocks on her finger and the wedding band on my finger seem to not be enough anymore.

One of the managers at NASR insulted the wife and I last time we went there. I think his name was Ron? We will probably not renew because of him. We don't go when he works (on sunday).

You will be happy to hear the story I have about Ron... You can PM me anytime you or your wife wants a laugh on that one.

I'm don't plan on re-newing my membership this year after hearing that. I still talk with Andy if I'm there shooting and he's there. Being that it's local I'd rather support them than Vance's, but again Rex kinda blew that one. Especially with my next purchases, I don't need the press.

I have the same sentiments. I feel the same about Andy, one of the last good guys from the original OH gun crew that could have owned the nation with its knowledge base.