R/C cars

03zoomzoom

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious,what's it cost to get started in this? Watched a couple of those video races on that site and looks interesting...

Like Keith said, $300 will get you a decent SCT set-up. What he didn't say is what that means.

SCT=Short Course Truck. Basically, SCTs look like CORR trucks. The most common one is the Traxxas Slash 2WD, but a few other companies have brought their own versions out. The HPI Blitz is brand new on the market, and is probably the best offering yet.

http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/103171/

You can pick up a new Blitz for $190, a pair of NiMH batteries and a charger, and still come in under $300. Or you can spend a bit more, get some Lithium Polymer batteries, and step up the run time and power by a bit.

If you want to step right into nitro, and want to keep costs down, look for a used HPI Savage. They're insanely tough, relatively easy to work on, and the upgrade market is the biggest of any RC.

Brushless electrics are the new wave with RC, but they are probably best left for a second or third RC, once you have some driving experience. The faster brushless set-ups have enough power to cause serious havoc.

ah, no biggie. You guys had more than the other hobby stores. Just need a battery pack and gas tank to get it back up and running.

Sorry we did not have that tank tonight lol.

I have my "hurd" down to 3 now just racing stuff I don't have any bashing stuff.

For 3 years I raced nitro off-road every weekend somewhere in ohio and got very burnt out.

I have 4...

Here are the 2 that I race. (sorry for the poor quality, the lighting at the track didn't help....)

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt181/ThePinkBomber/8328_158365510068_688660068_3242850.jpg

If you're going to spend the money on them you might as well come out to Hilliard and race. :)

Like the guys said, SCT is a good start. I just picked up a used one with remote, battery and charger for a friend of mine in Iraq for $100.

Start off slow and figure out what you like. Then you can spend the big bucks on something you'll love. The 1/8 scale on the left is my baby. It was previously nitro and I converted it to electric. I don't even want to say how much $$$ I have into it at this point... :(

Wagner and Keith, those are some great paint jobs. Wish I had that kind of talent/patience. I spend too much time on my lid to spend time on my lid, if you get my drift.

I have zero paint talent so I pay people with the talent to do it lol!

The other thing to look into if they make they for your particular body are sticker wraps.

For $300 I can hook someone up with everything you need to start racing 1/10 scale nitro stadium trucks. It's a Losi XXXNT Adam Drake 2 with a Novarossi .12 engine.

I also have in my collection (These things are really addictive)........

Thunder Tiger ST-1 1/8 scale nitro Truggy

T-Maxx with a Sirio .18

Traxxas Slash SCT

E-Maxx

a couple Losi 1/36 scale trucks that are a blast to race in the living room.

a couple planes

a 3D helicopter

I've raced on and off for the last 8 years at CRCRC. Just haven't had the time this year to race yet. The XXXNT, T-Maxx, ST-1 and Slash are all setup and ready to race at CRCRC. The E-Maxx is fun to let the dog chase around the backyard. I have had some fun jumping the ST-1 over an old swimming pool at a buddys house.....

Hopefully i get back into some racing at crcrc over the winter. Heres whats in my collection

Smaxx 2.5 - nothing special but it still goes pretty good

Team Associated rc10gt - in pieces

XTM mammoth ST - lots of aluminum on it, really worked xtm .247 supposedly pushing 4.5-5.0hp. it's a 12lb truggy and it's been clocked at 53mph by the popo.

So hopefully they'll be out this winter to race, if not i'll just bash them around in the snow.

I was just as the track on Wend with my stuff.

Jason I think the trucks are dying off, I would watch that crcrc board for a used buggy and pick that up. I watched it for a few weeks and found a good deal on a buggy and just bought that to get back into it.

Well, I got mine back together to find out that another piece is broke. At least it runs again. Stupid plastic pieces. Gonna start looking for metal suspension pieces.

That's the 4Tec, right? Just remember that when you replace plastic with aluminum, the force just gets transferred to the next part. Better to bust an arm than a bulkhead. It's a bigger concern for larger offroad cars, I guess.

I want the hpi savage.

Check out http://www.hpisavageforum.com. There are about five in the for sale section now. Best way to go is to get a roller and buy your own motor. Any good .28 will push a Savage to crazy speeds.

yep, 4-tec w/.25 motor. I guess that makes sense. Break the cheep and easy to get to parts. At least I'm getting really good at taking it apart and rebuilding it. ha ha ha

That's the 4Tec, right? Just remember that when you replace plastic with aluminum, the force just gets transferred to the next part. Better to bust an arm than a bulkhead. It's a bigger concern for larger offroad cars, I guess.

yep, 4-tec w/.25 motor. I guess that makes sense. Break the cheep and easy to get to parts. At least I'm getting really good at taking it apart and rebuilding it. ha ha ha

.25ci, or 2.5cc? Cause if you have a .25ci motor in there, I can definitely see why it's broken so often, lol.

It's either a 2.5 or a 2.5R. I can't figure out how to tell them apart.

2.5 has a cast alum cooling head, 2.5R has machined/blue anodized head.

3.3 is also a drop-in. I think it uses the same block, different crank, sleeve, piston and head. All you'd have to change on the car is gearing to take advantage of the torque, and maybe the pipe to get the most out of the motor.