Another kid killed. This is terrible.

SpaceGhost

http://www.abc6onyourside.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wsyx_vid_1643.shtml

BREAKING NEWS: Tenth-Grader Struck, Killed by Train

Hilliard, Ohio -- A tenth-grade student wearing headphones walking southbound on train tracks near Davidson Road in Hilliard didn't hear a train barreling toward him Friday afternoon, Hilliard's police chief told ABC6 News.

About 3:15 p.m., the engineer sounded the train's horns and put on the brakes, but the Hilliard-Davidson High School didn't hear the warnings, the police chief said. Unable to stop in time, the train struck and killed the teen.

The police chief says he knows the teen's identity but is not releasing while the student's parents are notified. The train was stopped for a few hours while police officers and coroner investigated the scene of the accident.

The police chief says it's fairly common for students to walk along railroad tracks on their way to and from school. He said it's an extremely dangerous practice when headphones are worn because they can prevent hearing any warning of an approaching train or other such dangers.

Of course, the parents will never think their son could contemplate suicide.

It is sad...don't think I don't appreciate that. But to be walking on train tracks (*active* ones at that, and you know since you live/go to school near them) and not paying attention to train traffic is just stupid.

I really don't think it is suicide, think about how hard it would be to know you are about to be killed and stay on the tracks. It's not like he got drunk and passed out on them, he was walking home from school. I have used some noise canceling headphones and I couldn't hear shit but the music, and if it's loud I can see not hearing the train. It's not like the train snuck up on him slowly, it had to be moving pretty good still. He might have noticed at the last second also, we will never know.

I really feel fight or flight instinct would be really hard to fight walking on the tracks sober.

I really feel fight or flight instinct would be really hard to fight walking on the tracks sober.

-agreed-

In a sad and sick sort of way, that would take SERIOUS balls to stay on the tracks while the blast of the horn and shake of the ground barreled toward you and stick with it for the last few ground-pounding seconds...dayyum.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/traffic/article/person_struck_killed_by_train_authorities_close_road/27808/

http://media.nbc4i.com/wcmh/img-story/images/uploads/art_lane.jpg

HILLIARD, Ohio—A teenage boy wearing headphones was hit and killed by a train in Hilliard Friday afternoon.

NBC 4 reported with the FAST FACTS.

The victim was struck and killed by a train on Davidson Road, west of Leap Road, at about 3:20 p.m.

Officials identified the victim as 16-year-old Arthur Lane, a tenth-grade student at Hilliard Davidson High School.

NBC 4‘s Omar Ruiz confirmed that Lane was on the school’s roster as a member of the football team.

Officials said Lane was walking down the middle of the tracks, southbound from Davidson Road, when the train approached him from behind.

As the train approached the area, the engineer sounded the train’s horn several times, but there was no response from the teen.

The engineer told authorities he noticed the student was wearing headphones that covered his ears and he believed that the student did not hear the train’s horn.

Officials said the incident appears to be accidental, and they are speaking to the victim’s parents, along with the train’s engineer.

Update, RIP

His poor parents, I can't imagine the pain.