Health Insurance

Gergwheel1647545492

I need it. Anyone on here an agent that does health insurance? just need basic coverage for myself (28 yr old male that is in amazing health). let me know if you or someone you know does this. need it by Jan. 31st so i figured i would start looking now.

I'm a big believer in Health Savings Accounts (HSA's). It allows you much greater control over what you spend your health care dollars for. And a healthy person will accumulate substantial money which can later (I think at retirement) be withdrawn tax free if you want.

The HSA, combined with a higher deductable health care policy to kick-in if the HSA balance is exceeded, cut my yearly premium by 70%, and helps reduce my taxes.

Terry Hill, with Raymond James Financial (in the Delaware County Bank headquarters building on Rt. 23, just north of Home Depot) has helped me set this up. 740-657-7860 I've known Terry for years and trust him to manage my retirement and investment accounts.

I thought it was free now?

CHANGE!!

I'm a big believer in Health Savings Accounts (HSA's). It allows you much greater control over what you spend your health care dollars for. And a healthy person will accumulate substantial money which can later (I think at retirement) be withdrawn tax free if you want.

The HSA, combined with a higher deductable health care policy to kick-in if the HSA balance is exceeded, cut my yearly premium by 70%, and helps reduce my taxes.

Terry Hill, with Raymond James Financial (in the Delaware County Bank headquarters building on Rt. 23, just north of Home Depot) has helped me set this up. 740-657-7860 I've known Terry for years and trust him to manage my retirement and investment accounts.

But you are old... so basically instead of paying $100 a month into insurance i just put it in a savings account?

No, you still buy insurance (mine's Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield), it's just that the deductable can be much higher and the premium much lower. The money you put each month into the savings account can be used by you (with a debit card) for health related expenses.

I believe my deductable is 5k. If I get an MRI and it costs me 2k, I pay for it with my HSA debit card if I want (I don't have to, I can pay it out of pocket if I choose). Once my qualified health expenses go over 5k for the year, the insurance pays it.

There are many different combinations you can work out. Better to let an agent explain it and advise you. However, what I'm trying to tell you is that even though I'm an "old man," I bet my health insurance expenses are less than what yours will be with a traditional plan. And the contributions I make to my HSA are taken off the top of my income, not just a deduction.

You'll have to discuss this with an agent to see what's best for you. You asked for an agent recommendation and for savings, I am just giving you my 2 cents' worth. :)

Contact Christina King at C&A Benefits Group. She gave my wife and I an individual plan through Anthem (which is one of the only and most reasonable healthcare providers still doing individual plans) that was very good, and she is incredibly responsive.

Most banks will open an HSA account for you (to go with a High-Deductible Health Plan) which, like Doc, I highly recommend. A lot of younger people balk at the thought of paying $3500-$5000 out of pocket each year, but the premiums+out-of-pocket maximums are usually the same as paying for a "traditional" health plan. IOW, one way or the other, you're going to pay $3500-$5000 a year for great healthcare coverage. At least with the HDHP, you can hold onto your insurance premiums (and roll-over unused portions as well).

thanks Doc, so Terry does HSA's then, or does he just do the savings account part? if he does HSA's I will call him for sure!!

Terry did the insurance part, but because of the close relation he has with Delaware County Bank, he took care of all the paperwork for me for everything--the HSA and the health insurance.

I'm sure that Clay's agent is a good one, too, and if you're not getting the answers and the figures you want from one agent, it is smart to check with at least one other. And as Clay also said, I think most banks can set up the HSA for you. It seems to me that there is an annual fee connected with that, perhaps $75 or something of the sort.

The fact that you're young and healthy will of course work to lower your premiums, and your agent will know which companies to steer you towards so as to take full advantage of your low risk status.

Also, don't forget that just having a good health card will lower the cost to you of routine procedures. Ridiculous as it is, by being an Anthem subscriber, my rountine bloodwork costs me less than $30, but if I weren't insured, it is $260. My doctor charges $110 for a routine office visit, but it's $70 to Anthem subscribers ...... it goes on and on. If I get one MRI a year, the savings I get being an Anthem member more than pays my total insurance premium for 6 months.

Clearly, health care needs fixing.

I need insurances as well... good health just over weight.

ditto. I got private/personal insurance through aetna like 2 months back, health and dental for $128/month. It was going to be $109/month but bc i'm a fatty i get a premium.

thank god i got the insurance though because I went 8 months before that w/out it and i actually had to go to the ER this past weekend, w/out insurance i'd have been fucked.

i did mine completely online at aetna. i'm 23 btw.

Gotta take a close look at the details. The account my company's insurance offers wipes out everything at the end of the year, it doesn't build up and you don't get unused money back, which is why I won't go that route. Otherwise, I'd save up with it for a year or two and get laser surgery for my eyes.

ditto. I got private/personal insurance through aetna like 2 months back, health and dental for $128/month. It was going to be $109/month but bc i'm a fatty i get a premium.

thank god i got the insurance though because I went 8 months before that w/out it and i actually had to go to the ER this past weekend, w/out insurance i'd have been fucked.

i did mine completely online at aetna. i'm 23 btw.

I was quoted 400 a month, and im 25 non smoker. I work out 4 days a week min and for my size, seem to be in pretty decent shape.

Gotta take a close look at the details. The account my company's insurance offers wipes out everything at the end of the year, it doesn't build up and you don't get unused money back, which is why I won't go that route. Otherwise, I'd save up with it for a year or two and get laser surgery for my eyes.

Most HSA's roll over. FSA typically do not.

No, you still buy insurance (mine's Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield), it's just that the deductable can be much higher and the premium much lower. The money you put each month into the savings account can be used by you (with a debit card) for health related expenses.

I believe my deductable is 5k. If I get an MRI and it costs me 2k, I pay for it with my HSA debit card if I want (I don't have to, I can pay it out of pocket if I choose). Once my qualified health expenses go over 5k for the year, the insurance pays it.

There are many different combinations you can work out. Better to let an agent explain it and advise you. However, what I'm trying to tell you is that even though I'm an "old man," I bet my health insurance expenses are less than what yours will be with a traditional plan. And the contributions I make to my HSA are taken off the top of my income, not just a deduction.

You'll have to discuss this with an agent to see what's best for you. You asked for an agent recommendation and for savings, I am just giving you my 2 cents' worth. :)

My employer has a VERY similar plan only they cover the first 1k (they as in my employer), then your responsible for 2k, then everything after that is 100% covered by the insurance company. There are also tax kickbacks for it aswell. Im not completely sure how it works because I have the more traditional plan.

This is what I do, and it's great, the hard part is getting started, but if you can be healthy for 6 months and you actually put a good amount in each month to start. after a while you have a good amount. I deposit $250 a month in mine and my work puts in 2k a year. 4K out of pocket deductible is scarry at first, but now I have almost twice that in the account so if anything happens we're good. You can also use that money to buy over the counter meds and other health things. I just have a Visa Debit card and run it through ant machine to pay. It's super easy. The plus is you are paying yourself not pissing money away to an insurance company.

My HSA is my money and never goes anywhere and builds, I've been doing it almost two years and have close to 7K in it.

250x12=3000

Work puts in 2000 a year

The max I can deposit is $5250 a year. I put in 5k. After this June I am taking my Deposit down to like 50 a month. SO my entire insurance payment a month is a little over 200 for "Family Plan". Also with this plan, regular checkups are 100% covered, all my daughters regular doc visits cost us nothing. Her vaccinations cost us nothing. Only when we have an "event".

yea im looking at a 5k decutible right now and its $39 a month with an HSA, sounds like a pretty kickass deal to me.

That's awesome, mine is 180 a month for family. SO right now I "Pay" 430 a Month. But as I said I will be scaling my deposit back so it will be 230.

Durring 2007, my 100% top tier plan I had to have because of my bike mishap, was $638 a month paid straight to the insurance company. $7200 that year. I went to an HSA the next year in 08. Now I am almost done in my second year and we haven't used the account much. It's nice to have the cash there. My bonus is Columbus State deposits 2K a year in it. It almost covers the "premium for the year. 180x12=2160. SO really I pay $160 per year for health insurance.