BIG E-BRAKE PROBLEM

MackDaddy43

So... i went to go to get some micky dees this morning and was pulling out of my driveway but the whole time my drivers rear wheel wasnt moving.

Obviously.. i put the ebrake down. But lately i've been getting this grinding noise, that i thought could be the water pump, but now realize was my ebrake sticking. It was drivable the last week or so, even with the noise.

Now the car will barely move because the brakes hold and it'll stall.

(The calipers were just replaced with new ones in about june)

I just got finished bleeding that caliper, which provided enough relief to move it. but it then went back to completely holding it.

This is my DD so I need this resolved ASAP!

BTW: car is a 98 audi a4 1.8t quattro

Sounds like the brake hose may be bad if you've replaced the calipers. You would need to make sure the e-brake lever and cable is moving, but what can happen is the inside of the hose breaks down and holds fluid from escaping when the brakes are released.

So am i going to have to replace the calipers again?

Friggin things are $106 bucks a piece after core charge...

I had the car parked outside, where as i normally park in the garage. Is there any possibility that it could have just been related to the cold?

Was the abs pump bled properly with a VAG-Com when the caliper was replaced? I just went through similar on my '00 Jetta; went through the bleed procedure with the VAG-Com and all is well now. May be the same for your Audi.

Was the abs pump bled properly with a VAG-Com when the caliper was replaced? I just went through similar on my '00 Jetta; went through the bleed procedure with the VAG-Com and all is well now. May be the same for your Audi.

that could be a possibility. Ive been looking to get a vag com pretty soon but have been putting it off for a while.

What exactly do you need to do with it? I'm about to order one right now if it'll fix it lol

It's just a cycle of bleeding through the VAG-com that cycles the abs pump. The software is free from Rosstech, all you need is the cable. Rosstech also has a locator on their site of current owners if you want to find someone local to you, you can also search OhioVw's; most of their member base is in the Columbus area.

It's just a cycle of bleeding through the VAG-com that cycles the abs pump. The software is free from Rosstech, all you need is the cable. Rosstech also has a locator on their site of current owners if you want to find someone local to you, you can also search OhioVw's; most of their member base is in the Columbus area.

lol well why are they not on here!?

i just ordered the cable though. so what youre saying is that i need to tell the comp that i'm bleeding it and it'll be ok?

Will i do that with a caliper open or not? im a little confused. Would you have a link to a tutorial?

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/absbleeding.html

That link explains the procedure. You trigger the system via the vag-com, press and hold the brake pedal when prompted, it will go to the floor and cycle the abs pump. You have to hold it firmly as it will force the pedal back up. Takes about 5-10 minutes.

Some cars can be done without the vag-com, I found short cuts on a few different forums but none of them applied to my VW, not sure about the earlier Audi's.

yeah we tried bleeding the caliper just with the bleeder, like i said it let the ebrake off a little, but it went back. I definitely have air in there, because it was airy when doing the bleed. But the fact that it went right back where it started makes me think it has to be more.

thanks for the link though!

I ordered the vag com so it should be here by monday or so. looks like i'm not driving it until then