Audi makes the best cars

rl

Looking down through the spark plug hole at a intake valve/port on my wifes 2006 A4 2.0T FSI with 70k miles. Car has had Synthetic oil its entire life. This is a common problem I guess. Had some random misfires and a few other odd codes.

http://www.lasotaracing.com/rob/DIGI0023.JPG

http://www.lasotaracing.com/rob/DIGI0022.JPG

Carbon isnt just for Chryslers!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The FSI cars are known to have their issues. Cam follower problems, and carbon buildup are its main problems. They also blow PCV valves and diverter valves when the power is increased.

What is the course of action on her car?

Yeah a BK6000 brandon :)

The head will come off. As will the factory PCV system. Provided Audi won't fix it, which is the first route I'll take. This shouldnt happen with such low miles on a car that has been taken care of like this.

I understand why it happens, its a dumb design. She uses 93 all the time and it gets pento 5w-40 every 7k.

If you know what fsi is you will understand why it looks like that.

This isnt my first time around the block. ;)

The FSI motors are DI so they don't have a injector spraying a hot intake valve to help remove carbon. Additionaly they don't use a EGR valve, instead to reduce NOX emissions they just retard one cam and advance the other under certain conditions which allows a decent amount of overlap and causes some serious carbon buildup. One or two tanks of 87 wouldnt cause that. Hell, I doubt the gas makes THAT much of a difference. The biggest factor is a shitty PCV system combined with what I stated above. In the patent for the FSI motors Audi Admited that the PCV was lacking and caused carbon issues.

If you don't mind, can you keep me up to date on what you do to her car?

They already offer a few different catch can designs that are plug and play, although pricey.

It would be nice to see what kind of results you have if you build one yourself. My dad isn't as proactive as he once was when it comes to cars, so I need to make sure I keep up on the FSI stuff for him (my car is the new TSI).

Most DI cars have the same issue, it stems from the lack of fuel on the intake valves. I know Porsche has issues.

I'll either pull the head or just walnut blast the intake valves on the car, it will depend on what it looks like when I get the intake off.