IT geeks - cert training

Akula

Just wondering what type of cert training you guys prefer. I know, I know, certs are useless bla bla bla, but they are a necessary evil for some organizations.

I prefer boot camps. Intensive, short duration, high impact, training followed immediately by an exam.

I know some folks do the "for dummies" and transcenders/actual exam/boson, route.

How do you like to get it done?

I've always heard that certs coupled with a degree is VERY useful

That is very true. CCNP with a BS in anything, is pretty powerful stuff. But then you hit a point where the cert is all that matters, like CCIEs don't need a degree.

I have done bootcamps and boson. When I was a senior in High School I also had 4 hours a day, 4 days a week for a whole year in a Cisco Academy which was probably the most productive year of my life. We mastered CCNA 1 and 2 and the first half of CCNP. At the end of the year my professor put us through a 4 full day camp right before our exams. I also did a bootcamp at boson in Tampa.

I have a BS in Economics, and no certs. I have been a sys admin for the ohio national guard, a govt contract, and now private sector.

I have no certs, but would like to get at least my MCP, VCP, and the DoD is mandating that I get a Security +, which is lucky because some AFSCs are requiring CISSP, which is a BITCH.

<-- no degree here just study from book from library and then take test. :)

A+, N+, MCP here

I did the A+ and the N+ from a for-dummies book. CCNA from a Sybex book, until June when I did a bootcamp. I got my CCNP from taking 4 instructor led classes. C|EH from a class.

The easier certs I can do from books, I like the experience from bootcamp style classes.

VCP = vmware certified professional.. Most medium and large places need people to help with virtualization efforts. One I always look for on a resume (Experience is always helpful too)

Are you just naming of random certs, or are you stating the one you have? If you do have it, the original question was "Just wondering what type of cert training you guys prefer." did you get it via self study or a class?

I figure if I can find online training using simulations that would be my preferred method of learning. More interactive than a book, but less expensive than a class. If it's interactive I'll remember more than if I'm just told something, or just read about it. That being said, a lot of people like books because it's the cheapest form of education.

I have no degree but 10 years of on job experience and a handful of certs. Honestly my experience has done more for me than the certs. I am working the same kind of job that I have been for many years. i was hoping the certs would give me a boost, but they have not yet. I went back to school and I am almost finished with my degree so we will see if that helps any. I went to TekSystems for my certs. What a waste of money. I should have done self study. It would have been much quicker and cheaper.

MCSA

A+

N+

I have a BS in Computer Information Systems and just a Red Hat Certification... needless to say I'm the only person on my team (system admin) with anything that pertains to computers. Two of the guys have a degree in photography/graphic design type stuff, another guy in aerospace dynamics, and the rest have nothing. When interviewing people they pretty much laugh when someone comes in and is proud to have all kinds of certs. I have mixed feelings on whether having a degree/cert in the IT field helps because it seems to me all everyone looks at is the number years of experience.