How to make $200k last awhile?

wnaplay1647545503

franchise something....? put it towards franchinsing something?

Also, If you daytraded with 200k you could do alright!

Yes on the franchise, no on day trading. You could lose your ass day trading. If you were going to DIY on investments, I would pick a stock with growth potential, but also a history of dividend payouts (if you are looking for income).

Also all debt would be paid off before any of this.

i'd pay my house off, then with the left over 60k buy a piece of land (min 10 acres) to build my next house. Sell my current house (once the market is back) and with that 200k use a down payment for building loan (assuming the house i build is going to cost me $400k) so end the end end with with close to the same mort. and have 300-400k instant equity

So are you asking for an investment strategy or what each of us would do? Personally I'd buy a small home, pay for school out of pocket rather than student loans, purchase a truck and a bike along with some other misc toys and still have money left over to save. I might day trade a bit but not with a signifigant amount of money in case i do in fact lose it all.

Can you close an annuity if you decide down the road you would rather just have your money? I dont know how they work.

An annuity is a recurring payment of the money you have invested for a set period of time or # of payments.

As in saying: "Here is 200k, I want 10k a year for the next 20 years". You can set them to be annually, monthly, or whatever type you prefer for the pay out. In doing so you always need to consider interest rate and the time value of money.

Akula is right, if you wanted it to LAST, an annuity would be a safe bet. 200k could build some interest quickly and we could all make good by adding $1,500 extra to our monthly budgets.

An annuity is a recurring payment of the money you have invested for a set period of time or # of payments.

As in saying: "Here is 200k, I want 10k a year for the next 20 years". You can set them to be annually, monthly, or whatever type you prefer for the pay out. In doing so you always need to consider interest rate and the time value of money.

Akula is right, if you wanted it to LAST, an annuity would be a safe bet. 200k could build some interest quickly and we could all make good by adding $1,500 extra to our monthly budgets.

Could you pull your money out at anytime? I assume if you could, there would be some sort of penalty. Is it also safe to assume that like a bank whoever you choose to set up an annuity with makes interest off the money they are holding for you?

Banks love annuities. They win, you lose, you'd be better off throwing darts at a wall street journal top 100 mutual fund list.

Myself if I wanted low risk I'd spread it across the big brands, Proctor and Gramble, Kellogs, Coke, etc. There all bargains now if you

got money to hold them awhile.

But I'm not a low risk kinda guy and if you dropped 200K in my lap I'd go all or nothing on a few "what I consider bargain stocks."

Banks love annuities. They win, you lose, you'd be better off throwing darts at a wall street journal top 100 mutual fund list.

Myself if I wanted low risk I'd spread it across the big brands, Proctor and Gramble, Kellogs, Coke, etc. There all bargains now if you

got money to hold them awhile.

But I'm not a low risk kinda guy and if you dropped 200K in my lap I'd go all or nothing on a few "what I consider bargain stocks."

I would hardly consider it losing. Of course the bank would make out on the deal too or they would not waste their time. The idea of the thread was to make the money last. Your solution could very well lose it in six months. I'm not at all saying high risk investments are silly - I'm just following the flow of the thread.