Dublin New Guy

Xyster101

I teach the Industrial Arts program at the Marysville High School. Woodworking, Design & Drawing, CAD, Science & Technology classes. Lots of fun and I still have all my fingers!

Damn, and industrial arts teacher that can still count to 10? I thought my dad was the only one (then again one time he did get close to being only able to count to 9.5).

Well I have been using these tools since I was 13 with my first Technology class and working with Dad in middle school. So I have been using the table saw, band saw, jig saw, router, miter, etc for 15+ years now, daily for the past 8 years. Last month had a kid hit his knuckle on the band saw, only needed 4 stitches, nothing bad. Not saying it will never happen, always that chance that I will forget what I am doing and hit a digit.

PLUS, the table saw we have CAN'T cut your finger off. Impossible since we have a Saw Stop table saw. :) Best thing ever! Watch this 13 second video, you will not believe what you see!

Welcome to the site! I look forward to meeting you out at Columbus Cars and Coffee. :)

Where in upstate NY did you live? I spent '92-'97 in Niskayuna, outside of Schenectady. Still have life-long contacts there. I've got a ton of family in NYC, Saugerties, LI, etc...

Ohio takes a little getting used to, but for as boring as people wrongly assume, there is easy access to just about anything you want to do here.

I teach the Industrial Arts program at the Marysville High School. Woodworking, Design & Drawing, CAD, Science & Technology classes. Lots of fun and I still have all my fingers!

Oh ok I went to Marysville MHS, my friend Lori mesi teaches at MHS now also. Did you take place for Mr. Wade?

I know Lori Mesi! i kind of replaced Mr. Wade. Roger Wade was replaced by a guy named Mr. Lewis who taught there 2 years. Then he left and I replaced him 3 years ago.

Clay,

I was from the Newburgh area which is half way between NYC and Albany. I have been up through Schenectady, beautiful area but also fairly depressed. Hocking county reminds me of that area. Ever go up through New Paltz and hit up the mountains of Minnowaska? What about hitting up the Catskills through Tannersville (Hunter Mountain)? Those are some good roads. I have warmed up to Columbus and do enjoy it. Might have been a bit hasty to say I dont like it. My family is still in NY so it is a hike to see them. I am looking forward to the spring and getting outdoors again!

Clay,

I was from the Newburgh area which is half way between NYC and Albany. I have been up through Schenectady, beautiful area but also fairly depressed. Hocking county reminds me of that area. Ever go up through New Paltz and hit up the mountains of Minnowaska? What about hitting up the Catskills through Tannersville (Hunter Mountain)? Those are some good roads. I have warmed up to Columbus and do enjoy it. Might have been a bit hasty to say I dont like it. My family is still in NY so it is a hike to see them. I am looking forward to the spring and getting outdoors again!

I know Newburgh well. We were just at a B&B in the New Paltz/Winterberry area in July, went to West Point, visited Saugerties Lighthouse where my great uncle was stationed in WWII. You're kind to call Schenectady beautiful, though the rest of Upstate NY was definitely so. You were in a very pretty area, and not that far from NYC/New England. The worst thing about Ohio is what you described: you're no longer centrally located to everything. Even as far north as Albany, we were 3hrs from NYC and the ocean, footsteps to the Catskills, Lake George, 2hrs to Vermont and the best skiing this side of the Mississippi, etc...

Columbus' redemption comes in the form of a low cost of living, great people, and easy access to resources. Aside from the weather, I've been pleasantly surprised at the car culture here, with lots of motorsports access.

Just stay active to survive winters in Ohio. It will be cold and gray, without much snow. Not too cold to keep you frigid until May (like upstate NY) but the lack of sunshine is depressing. I actually bundle up and bike everyday, and it's done wonders to my attitude. Spring sprouts earlier down here, and then we'll be good through November again. :)

EDIT: I just realized you are new TO ColumbusRacing, NOT to Central Ohio. My bad. :lol:

EDIT: I just realized you are new TO ColumbusRacing, NOT to Central Ohio. My bad. :lol:

Ha, yes new to CR not central Ohio. I do enjoy Ohio. I have found a great group of people over at the MR2 world who live local and I am hoping to meet a few more through here. Honestly maybe some people to spend a weekend at Mid Ohio with. The people here are much more polite then back east and there is plenty to do here, it is just not as easy to spot.

Biking, thought about it. Maybe I will do that. I am getting stir crazy now with limited winter activities here and a lack of snow. Thanks for the input and kind words.

...moutain bikin

Go up to Alum when it's nicer out? Ever go to Ray's?

I and a few others on here ride. I'm planing to try to get a CR ride together once it warms up and Alum's not a swamp.

If you are looking for snow and you ski or board come out to Mad River. Not that great of a hill, but great for where we are at. Quite a few here ride/ski there.

I have been to Alumi Creek. I really enjoy it. Phase II is great. Phase I (intermediate) is a is ok, but too many roots. I think a group ride would be fun. What is Ray's? Here is a video of my dog and I there:

I have been to Mad River once, I almost left after 3 runs. The lifts are really really slow. Can't beat the price of only $20 for a day, but much of that was spent on the lifts! There was wonderful snow, I 3 weeks ago when we had that snow storm and all the schools closed.

I know Lori Mesi! i kind of replaced Mr. Wade. Roger Wade was replaced by a guy named Mr. Lewis who taught there 2 years. Then he left and I replaced him 3 years ago.

Clay,

Thats pretty crazy small world, I still see roger wade every week or so, He comes into my work and does a bible study.

I have been to Alumi Creek. I really enjoy it. Phase II is great. Phase I (intermediate) is a is ok, but too many roots. I think a group ride would be fun. What is Ray's? Here is a video of my dog and I there:

I have been to Mad River once, I almost left after 3 runs. The lifts are really really slow. Can't beat the price of only $20 for a day, but much of that was spent on the lifts! There was wonderful snow, I 3 weeks ago when we had that snow storm and all the schools closed.

Cool video, makes some of the features look so small, like that berm about half way through. That thing is a blast to rail all the way up like that. That's awesome how your dog mostly runs out in front of you like that and knows the trail. Every once in a while I get the bright idea to go phase I for something different or because the group I ride with wants to go there and remember why I hate it after my hands are half numb half way through.

Can't believe you haven't heard of Rays before! http://www.raysmtb.com/ I went there for the first time with Cutalss3.1 on here at the beginning of the season. Very cool place and a nice way to cut the winter up.

I didn't get up to MRM for the storm as I drove down to Cincy on Friday soon after my real job, had training down at Perfect North (outside of Cincy) all day Saturday and Sunday, then had to work at MRM on Monday evening after real work. I'm on the Ski Patrol there, MoJo on here (RX7 guy) is on the Ski School (boarder), and quite a few others on here go out there and ride. The snow has been awesome all year due to temps and no sun until this last warm up. Your reaction is exactly the same as everyone I've ever talked to who's from out West/East the first time they ride MRM. It comes down to if you'd rather ride or not and miss out on some of your best years of riding. It's what we have and you make due if you want to ride. It will also help you like winters here a lot more. :cool:

Boosted,

I never met Roger Wade, although I did find his old space heater and a picture of him when I was cleaning things out. I also found some mechanical drawing done with a T square and triangle from 1989! It was neat.

TurboSpec,

I had one of my students who used to race his Revo down there. Just so many neat hobbies and just not enough time or money. I only have a $400 heli and I can't see spending the money to get a decent running car up for that. Looks like a complete blast though! I do have a Traxxs Stampedee from 1994 or so that still runs. It has a brushed motor on it, they did not have brushless when I bought it!

Trouble,

Ski Patrol, I was actually thinking of joining ski patrol. Last time I was up there I spent about 2 hours talking to a guy named Ted or Tim about it. His dad also works ski patrol. Tim works on Fridays from open till around 7pm. He has a 2 year old and lives east on 36 from Marysville. It just seems to be a big time commitment for the summer when I am off. Hard to travel if I have a 3 hour meeting every week, but I will see.

Man that Ray's place is sweet!!! I want to go up there for a weekend, wow. Thanks for that info.

Stimmel,

Thanks for the warm words. Seem to be a lot of Mustang guys here. I grew up with a mustang, my folks had a 1990 7up Green convertible with the 5.0. It was an auto and slow, but man did it sound great! I loved to drive it! Finally talked my folks into selling it. I said to my dad in '07, either put new tires on it (originals were still on it), change the brake fluid, tranny fluid, and drive it, or sell it. So he sold it with 17,000 miles for $11,000.