Who keeps their gun......

russian rocket

i keep mine ready to fire at all times. ive got an M&P 9c and a keltec PF9. the last thing i need if i ever have to use it is to fiddle around with racking the slide to have it ready to shoot

and FWIW, the keltec has no safety (except a fairly heavy double action trigger) and the only safety (if you want to call it that) on the M&P is a trigger safety, where the bottom of the trigger has to be pulled back before the rest of the trigger will go back to fire

Cocked and ready to rock 24/7. :D

When I first started carrying I didn't carry with a round in the chamber. I've been carrying with a chambered round for at least two years now. You get used to it. In a self defense situation I don't think most people can chamber a round and flip the safety switch if there is one, IMO.

.....with NOTHING chambered?

:eek:

KillJoy

My mistake:

Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 1 - Also known as "cocked and locked," means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is applied.

Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.

Condition 3 - The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.

Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.

This being said, Condition 1 is safer than Condition 2. Obviously nothing in the chamber is safer than having a bullet chambered.

There are some people out there (just a few) that claim condition 2 is best on a 1911. I always carry condition 1.

Want a real mind bender? Try to find a good video of the Israeli draw.

My USP compact has no safety and is DA only. I always carry with a round in the chamber. There's really no reason not to. If you ever had to use it you'd be under so much stress to unholster the gun and aim, let alone trying to do that while racking the slide to chamber a round.

safer in the sense that you arent going to have a ND... probably.

but safer in the sense that "im about to get killed and need to defend mysef"? no.

you may not have enough time to rack the slide in a defense situation... maybe you just sustained an injury to your hand/arm whatever and CANT rack the slide, even if you wanted to... (maybe you could use your boot or belt)

id rather not chance it.

you may not have enough time to rack the slide in a defense situation... maybe you just sustained an injury to your hand/arm whatever and CANT rack the slide, even if you wanted to... (maybe you could use your boot or belt)

I've practiced chambering a round one handed off my jeans, its probably faster than using both hands to be honest. Just try to catch the rear sight on your pocket and shove the gun down.

I've practiced chambering a round one handed off my jeans, its probably faster than using both hands to be honest. Just try to catch the rear sight on your pocket and shove the gun down.

what caliber is your gun? that would never work with my 45, that spring is just to strong

Um, PLEASE use the word "Snap-cap" in clarifying how you practiced this.....

What is the point of rendering a defensive weapon less usable in an emergency?

what caliber is your gun? that would never work with my 45, that spring is just to strong

i can do it with my 1911. not ideal, but in a pinch it could work.

IIRC they make rear sights that are made for catching on a boot or belt or something.