10,000 RPM V8 for the street?

zeitgeist57

heres a long description of my engine builders destroked 302sbc so high RPMs are are definitely possible even in an old school push rod motor.

Engine Builder: Watson Ruppel Performance

Engine Specs: 282 in. Small block Chevy (2.750 stroke 4.040 bore); Comp Cams roller and valvetrain aluminum rods; steel billet crank; forged lightweight pistons; 15.8 to 1 compression ratio; Chevy 15 degree aluminum heads; fully ported and flowed; titanium valves; 4-bolt main Bowtie block; custom sheet metal aluminum intake; 2 Holley 660 carbs with 850 baseplates; Jessel rocker system and belt drive; special 3-step headers; single stage external oil pump; 680 horsepower.

Fuel: VP Racing Fuel, 120 Octane

Chassis and suspension builder: Watson Ruppel Performance

Drive Train: Special carbon fiber racing clutch; G-force 5-speed racing transmission; H.D. aluminum driveshaft; 9" Ford rear end housing with H.D. aluminum center section; 40 spline gun drilled axles; 650 gear ratio; 4-link suspension with coil over double adjustable shocks; 4-wheel disc brakes; Weld aluminum lightweight wheels; Goodyear 15" wide slicks.

Run Description: Car is launched at 10,000 RPM and then shifted at 9,600 RPM on each gear change; the 5th gear change is made at about the 1/8 mile mark and about 6 seconds into the run; 0 to 60 ft. times are 1.30 seconds; best E.T. in quarter mile; 9.42 @ 144 MPH; car must weigh 2,965 lbs. with driver.

He used to hold several NHRA records with this car.

My dad also used to work up at pacemakers in the late 80's and they had another guy show up with a 67 z28 that raced super stock with a destroked 302. He sat on the line with the throttle pegged, was able to max out a 12.5K rpm Moroso cable drive tach. They guessed he sat right around 14k RPM on the line and it never missed a beat.

i think a lot of people are forgetting about the "...for the street" aspect of this thread.

And how many of them blow up each race? Could your car's engine spin 8000rpm for 500 miles? Would you consider your engine reliable?

irrelevant. my car's engine could spin 6,000RPM for 500 miles and soldier on because that's what it was designed to withstand(read about the durability testing that ford's coyote 5.0l went through). if i built it to spin 8,000RPM for 500 miles, then it would require a rebuild shortly after, just like a NASCAR V8.

WTF are you talking about? How much torque do you think a Nascar motor makes at 9000rpm compared to 5000rpm? A "modern" synchromesh transmission can handle 10,000 rpm just fine. Ugh!

not sure what a NASCAR engine has to do with a synchro tranny at ~10k RPMs(these guys run dogboxes for a reason)...

do you have any examples? i'm talking about reasonable cost and reliability. a stock T56 will, without a doubt, fail after use behind a 10k RPM engine, and 1 off parts obviously won't be 'reasonably priced' compared to an off the shelf dogbox.

maybe i'm misinterpreting your stance on this, but i'm talking about a drivetrain that could potentially be taken on a road course, ran at these RPMs, driven home, not cost a fortune(I.E. no $50k transmissions), not require valve lash adjustment every 500 miles, not require 10 new sets of valve springs or camshafts throughout the life of the engine, etc. if we're talking about lasting a couple 1/8th mile passes, then that's a different topic altogether.

give me a ford DOHC 4.6l, jaguar/land rover/aston martin AJV8, or any number of other euro DOHC V8s backed by a jericho road racing 5 speed.

Edited by Ry_Trapp0

10krpm street V8

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56816

http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562068.htm

http://www.h1v8.com/i/350wide/home_page_engine2.jpg

That's bada$$. Looking forward to checking out the multimedia links at home tonight...

a stock T56 will, without a doubt, fail after use behind a 10k RPM engine

Proof?

Numerous people here have already witnessed/experienced even old chevy small blocks turning the propositioned RPM and being driven on the street. /thread

no no no, i'm talking about regular high RPM use, not just some trips down the 1/4. seriously, if i'm wrong then correct me with some legitimate proof that a mass production synchro manual transmission can reliably withstand 9000-10000RPM use during, say, an open track session or something. i'll fully admit i'm wrong because there is no reward in pretending i'm right if i'm not.

everyone is talking about these pushrod engines that can hit 9k, but what is the maintenance like on these engines? how stiff are those valve springs?

I do no maintenance on mine and I'd spin higher than 7500 is I had better rod bolts. As for the one that spun to 9k, I have no idea what kind of maintenance he does nor what his build was like.