I officially hate bikes

schmuckingham

This furthers my dislike for these godless peices of the horseshit. I decided to keep my bike since I dont have any room to store a car in my garage in Cbus. So I went and started doing the basics to the bike and one of them is the PAIR mod ( gets a better AF reading on the dyno) so I tear into the bike and yank everything out. First bolt on the right PAIR modual was a PITA and it came out bent as hell.

Picture002-3.jpg

So the rest of them I apply heat to and the next two come out fine but the last one had to be a bitch. Applied a little heat, put the 1/4 wrench with an 8mm socket on it and go to break it loose and the fucking head snaps right off. Clean break flush with valve cover.

Picture001-2.jpg

Picture003-3.jpg

If I have to drop the motor to take the valve cover off I will be one unhappy camper.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes That is some weak shit!

Don't worry, in less than 5 or 6 weeks your winter blues will be cured. 2 wheels > 4 wheels :)

+9812623192

And talk to Flounder. He made a post on here a year or so ago about some easy extractor for broken bolts. He said it made removing the broken bolt a piece of cake.

And honestly, can you say you've never had a broken bolt on a car?

+9812623192

And talk to Flounder. He made a post on here a year or so ago about some easy extractor for broken bolts. He said it made removing the broken bolt a piece of cake.

And honestly, can you say you've never had a broken bolt on a car?

He had a Ford.. Nothing ever goes wrong on those LOL

That sucks, I hope ya figure it out without a giant disaster!

Is it too hard to get to with a drill ?

You dont want to drill it out because then you would have to re-thread.

Schmuck, give me a call and we can set something up and try and get it out. Maybe I could bring my easy outs over on sat and a blowtorch and we could get it out for ya. Call me. In the mean time, grab some PB blaster and get it on that bolt so that hopefully it eats some of that nasty locktite away.

if there isn't enough room to get an easy out of some kind in there, another thing you can do that has worked for me is put a nut on top of the broken bolt and weld the top of the bolt to the nut through the center of the nut. put a socket on it and hopefully it backs out.

this has worked for me a few times so hopefully thats not a stainless bolt.

find Flounder's thread on extracting the broken bolts, and try warming up the engine before taking the bolts off next time, I've found that helps sometimes, but I had the same thing happen to me on my 400EX engine rebuild, mine broke off so deep I had to take it to a machine shop to have them get the broken bolts out.

I dont think anyone understands, I USED lots of heat to get the last three out because the first one came out bent. I cant start the motor because it has no exhaust at all so I used a torch anyway and it still snapped.

Secondly the bolt is at such an angle and in a place were you cant get an extractor in the bolt, hammer wont fit. Honda uses a almost permanent threadlocker and a lot of people wind up buying a new valve cover

Ben, yes I have snapped a bolt in a car but i can always get ahold of it because there is room. Besides I dont have to tear the car apart to disconnect two hoses to be able to dyno a car for an accurate AF

You dont want to drill it out because then you would have to re-thread.

Schmuck, give me a call and we can set something up and try and get it out. Maybe I could bring my easy outs over on sat and a blowtorch and we could get it out for ya. Call me. In the mean time, grab some PB blaster and get it on that bolt so that hopefully it eats some of that nasty locktite away.

I would love to watch you guys play with a torch on a magnesium valve cover, I will wear my welding goggles and watch from across the street