The School of Hard Knocks

Cordell

So where should I go from here?

a. Leave it alone

b. install direct port, dedicated fuel system, and spray the guts out of it

c. start putting together a "top swap", good heads, bigger cam.

d. sell it and do something else.

A and start saving for C that will eventually take you to B

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn, sorry to hear this isn't working out. that is a great build thread, and I was pulling for you all the way through it. too bad it might end without being finished. awesome to hear you do your own work, i hope it has a happy ending!

• 2 weeks later...
I have faith in you and your car Scott.

Thank you, I'm still working at it and made some real progress yesterday.

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp133/ND2RACE/Camarowheelup.jpg

Still need to work on the nitrous set-up to get the most out of it. I don't need more power, just need to get it down. That picture is leaving on motor.

Thank you, I'm still working at it and made some real progress yesterday.

[]http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp133/ND2RACE/Camarowheelup.jpg[/img]

Still need to work on the nitrous set-up to get the most out of it. I don't need more power, just need to get it down. That picture is leaving on motor.

very nice

• 3 weeks later...

Well thanks to Ray I got a good deal on a progressive controler, and finally got it working this afternoon. I thought the car felt awesome before, but now the car isn't spinning and I'm pretty sure my seat is coming loose :D :D :D :D :D

can't wait for the track.........

• 2 months later...
Well now I've met all the goals I've had with the car, 11s on motor, 10s on nitrous. The car still has all the factory options intact (for the most part, ie, radio, A/C, backseat ect), so what do I do with it now? I still love the car, but I also like modding it and I don't feel like there's much more modding to do. I'll always be going out and driving it, taking it to the track from time to time, and keeping up with it, but I feel like at this point there's something missing from my plans, something left to do and I don't know what it is.

• 1 year later...

So a lot has taken place since I played with this thread. The 9" broke it's posi, I replaced it with a spool, got tired and sold it. The transmission/converter combo came out and got sold. I installed a slightly weaker but a much more stock feeling trasmission and 3000 stall Circle D converter. I also put a stock 10 bolt in place with 3.23 gears, sold all the nitrous parts. I was able to do all this keeping the car driveable and in good shape while scraping together a down payment on my house.

Over the last year I didn't drive it much, and to be honest was pretty bored with the car regardless. I started playing with my MazdaSpeed Miata. I have had a good time and really enjoy that car, but now that I have taken care of my family and I have other reliable cars to drive the Camaro will have to come back to life.

I miss the car being fast, so I have some ideas that I'd like some feedback on. First obviously it needs a strong rear axle. I liked the 9" for some reasons and hated it for others. It was heavy, but strong, I liked how the torque arm mounted, but I absolutley hated how the torque arm and everythign was always on a bind. I never made it all work correctly. It really needed a torque arm to align it properly, it still really needs the poly bushings repaced. The car scared me a few times because the rear suspension would bind up, and everything is worn out.

So my choices are to go back to that and work it out correctly this time, or a 12 bolt. I like the size and weight of a 12 bolt, but I'm uneasy about the torque arm mount. What I read is some people think it'll cause some case deflection and will lead to gear whine. This is why I didn't buy a 12 bolt the first time. Then there is the topic of differential, and I'm thinking of going with another posi, the spool was streetable but annoying so I don't want that again. The Wavetrac is just too expensive, so I guess an Eaton or Truetrac is in my future.

Any thoughts on any of this?

Next comes the trans, and this one will be easy for me. I've had different 4L60s, and fully build one would work, but a 4L80 may work a little better gearing and strength wise.

Which leads me to the engine and power adder. Since I cannot afford to make my power goals without a power adder, and I've already done nitrous I guess altimatly it will get a turbo. I wish to do that and end up around 800 wheel. This will be a next few years project of getting the engine/turbo together, because it will be done properly. I only wish to do this once and need to come up with the right balance of budget and quality to meet my goals.

The car currently has a LQ4 block and crank with Mahle forged pistons, Scat h-beams ARP 2000 rod bolts, ARP main studs, TSP 233-239 cam, and some hand ported shitty 853 casting LS1 heads. The engine is still running stong, and has good compression. It still dynos the same as it did right after break in. I cannot decide to keep this shortblock, or plan on something better.

Thoughts?