The School of Hard Knocks

Cordell

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

build a fun street car, dont get too carried away making it the fastest car ever and spend all your money on something you cant just drive. set a goal and stick to the goal. dont deviate and think "well, with this i can go faster, and this will make it better" cause that will just end up in you dumping all your money into again. i know you will make it a beast cause thats what you do, cant wait to see what you come out with.

build a fun street car, dont get too carried away making it the fastest car ever and spend all your money on something you cant just drive. set a goal and stick to the goal. dont deviate and think "well, with this i can go faster, and this will make it better" cause that will just end up in you dumping all your money into again. i know you will make it a beast cause thats what you do, cant wait to see what you come out with.

Anything I put together will see the street, and don't worry Phillip I have no life outside of cars so dumping all my money into this is fine with me. I wanna go 9s and still start it up drive it to work, and buy pump gas. It'll happen, might not be next year, but eventually. I'm in no hurry now, I have my Miata to play with, this can take forever for all care.

Anything I put together will see the street, and don't worry Phillip I have no life outside of cars so dumping all my money into this is fine with me. I wanna go 9s and still start it up drive it to work, and buy pump gas. It'll happen, might not be next year, but eventually. I'm in no hurry now, I have my Miata to play with, this can take forever for all care.

then do a turbo build and buy a pair of good underoos:masturboy:

no I don't need 2.

The torque arm I have should work fine with a 12 bolt.

So you are saying, the engine I have is good?

After taking it for a spin at trails I would say it has some rip. We know it gets it done on juice, not sure how those internals will play well with a shit ton of boost. With a change of heads and maybe a few other things I think it would do fine on boost.

So a lot has taken place since I played with this thread. The 9" broke it's posi, I replaced it with a spool, got tired and sold it. The transmission/converter combo came out and got sold. I installed a slightly weaker but a much more stock feeling trasmission and 3000 stall Circle D converter. I also put a stock 10 bolt in place with 3.23 gears, sold all the nitrous parts. I was able to do all this keeping the car driveable and in good shape while scraping together a down payment on my house.

Over the last year I didn't drive it much, and to be honest was pretty bored with the car regardless. I started playing with my MazdaSpeed Miata. I have had a good time and really enjoy that car, but now that I have taken care of my family and I have other reliable cars to drive the Camaro will have to come back to life.

I miss the car being fast, so I have some ideas that I'd like some feedback on. First obviously it needs a strong rear axle. I liked the 9" for some reasons and hated it for others. It was heavy, but strong, I liked how the torque arm mounted, but I absolutley hated how the torque arm and everythign was always on a bind. I never made it all work correctly. It really needed a torque arm to align it properly, it still really needs the poly bushings repaced. The car scared me a few times because the rear suspension would bind up, and everything is worn out.

So my choices are to go back to that and work it out correctly this time, or a 12 bolt. I like the size and weight of a 12 bolt, but I'm uneasy about the torque arm mount. What I read is some people think it'll cause some case deflection and will lead to gear whine. This is why I didn't buy a 12 bolt the first time. Then there is the topic of differential, and I'm thinking of going with another posi, the spool was streetable but annoying so I don't want that again. The Wavetrac is just too expensive, so I guess an Eaton or Truetrac is in my future.

Any thoughts on any of this?

Strange S60?

He wants to get away from a heavy rearend. It really changes how the car drives, and makes it feel heavy.

I've heard that the S60 is about the best blend of strength and weight depending on the goals of the car. Stronger than a 12 bolt, lighter than a 9" but it doesn't seem very popular. I have no personal experience with it though as I still rock a 10 bolt. :p

Isnt there Dana S60 for sale on here out of a SRT-10 Ram?

Really Shane? What makes you think all the work to make that fit is worth it?

Strange S60 is made for F-Bodies specifically.

http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/pdf/075.pdf

This is a great option, but it's still going to have a very big center section.

He wants to get away from a heavy rearend. It really changes how the car drives, and makes it feel heavy.

I more want to get away from something taking up so much space in the back of the trans tunnel that there isn't proper geometry for the suspension. Either way I'm sure if I take my time I could make anything work properly. I'm not dead set against the S60, but the 12 bolt seems to meet my goals better.

I've heard that the S60 is about the best blend of strength and weight depending on the goals of the car. Stronger than a 12 bolt, lighter than a 9" but it doesn't seem very popular. I have no personal experience with it though as I still rock a 10 bolt. :p

Moser makes it so easy to use their products, easier to get, fast turn around, and most places will ship it to you for free. I think that the S60 is just used less because the 9" has been the staple of drag racing forever, and you can find parts everywhere for it.

Custom 3Bar OS with your EFI live is what you need.

Just Saying.

Give me a Break.

The tuner in me is thinking of your tuning needs.

Okay tuner. Will do.

Let me know when I can start plumbing this bad boy.

We may have to talk about that, however its pretty far down the road. What would be ideal would be to make a nice set of headers feeding twins on either side of the block. That way I can keep plenty of space in the engine bay. I just doubt I'll be able to afford that. Check out this picture for an idea of what I want to do.

http://www.ls1turbo.com.au/images/P1030761.jpg

It's similar to an APS kit, but I'd like it to be much more custom. The hot side routing would be much easier in that configuration.

Moser makes it so easy to use their products, easier to get, fast turn around, and most places will ship it to you for free. I think that the S60 is just used less because the 9" has been the staple of drag racing forever, and you can find parts everywhere for it.

That's been my thought on it also. The 9" is just the "go to" option and not many want to try something different.