The School of Hard Knocks

Cordell

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just lucky it happened on the dyno, I'd hate to have done that on the street.

Take the torque arm off, especially if you're using a "hit" of nitrous or a big stall that hits hard.

PT4000 + stock torke arm = ok so far. Sadly, the torque arm is bent but it absorbs most of the abuse and keeps my 60's pretty sad.

Installed my torque arm relocation crossmember, got everything put back together, drove it down the road, got on it one time, and gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrowl the rear end is making some lovely grinding noise.

Fucking car.

Installed my torque arm relocation crossmember, got everything put back together, drove it down the road, got on it one time, and gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrowl the rear end is making some lovely grinding noise.

Fucking car.

Time to make a glory run with it before the big boy rearend.

If u need any help u know where I'm at on the corner of Watkins and route 40. I don't know all the technical stuff about how it all works but would be willing to give u a extra set of hands to help ya out. I'm sure we could get it to the shop and get it up on the lift as well if u don't have one. I would be willing to give up some weekends to help. I went through kinda what you r with a 95 camaro lt1 that I did heads cam super charger. All myself. Didn't know anything about tuning or anything and threw a rod clean through the block. That was about 10 yrs ago and 1 wife ago. I lost my first and only marriage over building a car and spending a lot on my car. Keep chugging along it will all pay off. I keep trying but my finances aren't good enough for this shit but I'm trying, I just tore my rear end up as well at the last track day. Pm me if u need some help and I will give u my number.

• 4 weeks later...
Bad ass man! Can I make. Pass in it before u throw the rear end in :D?

I'm not even planning on making any more passes before the rear end goes in. It'll still be a little more time since I'll have to get a center section and driveshaft to complete the swap, but still I'm excited to make some progress.

I ment make a pass down the road like right before u swap it haha
I'm not even planning on making any more passes before the rear end goes in. It'll still be a little more time since I'll have to get a center section and driveshaft to complete the swap, but still I'm excited to make some progress.

So I got the housing and axle package today. I didn't want to spring for the powder coat so I did some decent rattle job to prevent rust. Who cares it'll be under the car.

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp133/ND2RACE/broken/CIMG0222.jpg

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp133/ND2RACE/broken/CIMG0221.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still collecting parts, just one more big item for the 9" swap. Got my new 3.5" aluminum driveshaft yesterday. Rated to 1200hp, so I'll be proud if I break this.

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp133/ND2RACE/broken/CIMG0227.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well the 9" went in, and I bought some 28" Mickeys to put on my stock 16" rims. Car needs some suspension work to hook good, it only cut a 1.64 at Marion last night. The first time to the track with the car like this, and I deffinetly need some more seat time. The converter seems too loose, it flashes to 5k and just generates heat driving the car, I'm not too happy with that. The 9" seemed to rob about 20-25hp, and it only put down 508hp on the dyno yesterday. I was really conservative with the nitrous tune, but I'm not building this thing again. It went to the track made some runs, got hot, but I drove it home with no real issues.

Overall I'm dissapointed at where the car is at, drive it very far and the trans is overheated unless you're on the highway with the converter locked (this converter sucks), and it doesn't perform very well at the track. A lot of it is the driver mod, but I know it can be better.

On another note Atomicfusion is a great racer, and I am not.

• 1 month later...

So where should I go from here?

a. Leave it alone

b. install direct port, dedicated fuel system, and spray the guts out of it

c. start putting together a "top swap", good heads, bigger cam.

d. sell it and do something else.