A Track Junkie is "born"

nocab72

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a really good informative thread.

I still need to get brake pads for my E36 M3. I was thinking to get Hawk HT-10s. It seems like those would be a good compromise between long life and heat handling capabilities. Does anyone have any experience with these on a BMW?

BTW, I used Hawk DTC-60 pads on my MS3 with good results, but the fronts only lasted 4 track days. Granted I brake as hard and late as possible, but i still expected them to last a little longer. The MS3 seriously needs brake ducts because boiled fluid at 100+ MPH is unnerving.

I have heard nothing but good about the HT-10's. Might also want to consider Performance Friction their 06 compound. It is a race endurance compound.

I would rip through a set of PFC01 pads in 20 sessions (4-5 days), the PFC06 compound lasts me almost 2x that, costs the same and has similar torque with just slightly less initial bite.

Since brakes in my opinion are the most important component of a race car I run Castrol SRF brake fluid. At $80 a liter it aint cheap but I know I'm not gonna boil it and it doesn't need flushed near as often as lesser fluids.

Kyle

• Confused 1

I have heard nothing but good about the HT-10's. Might also want to consider Performance Friction their 06 compound. It is a race endurance compound.

I would rip through a set of PFC01 pads in 20 sessions (4-5 days), the PFC06 compound lasts me almost 2x that, costs the same and has similar torque with just slightly less initial bite.

Since brakes in my opinion are the most important component of a race car I run Castrol SRF brake fluid. At $80 a liter it aint cheap but I know I'm not gonna boil it and it doesn't need flushed near as often as lesser fluids.

Kyle

I talked with Jay at Andrews Racing and decided to get Hawk DTC-60 FR and Hawk HT-10 RR. He thinks I will overwhelm the HT-10 on the front, and the car stops better with some front brake bias.

I picked up some stainless steel brake lines and Motul 600 brake fluid from bimmerworld to complete the brake package.

So we will see how this works out. I would boil the fluid in my MS3 once a session, and it just ate front brakes. Hopefully this setup on the M3 will be better and last longer.

• 4 months later...

No track days in August, a) it’s been very hot here, b) my car spent most of the month at <b]RRT Racing</b>.

The goal for August was to get the car built prepared in NASA GTS3 race trim (sans some minor race required/specific items like fire system, kill switch & window nets). This included an aFe Intake, SuperSprint Headers, a customer RRT Racing single exhaust, Shark Flash (to re-tune the car for the bolt-ons and 93 Octane guel, raise the rev limiter a bit, and disable the rear O2 sensors to work w/out catalytic converters).

SuperSprint Headers

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i167/nocab72/E46%20M3%20Build%20-%20Black/StepHeader-V2_3-web.jpg

In addition the AST5100 single adjustable suspension was upgraded to AST5200 double adjustables, added front and rear Ground Control Adjustable Race Sway Bars, a custom racing differential built by Dan from DiffsOnline, AIM EVO4 CAN bus data logging and MyCron3 display.

Ground Control Rear Sway Bar (sorry can't find picture of sexy front bar)

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i167/nocab72/E46%20M3%20Build%20-%20Black/GC_Rear_Sway_Bar.jpg

To top it all off the first phase of an aero package including an Aeromotions R2.static wing and custom front splitter.

Wing (Pre-Mounting)

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i167/nocab72/E46%20M3%20Build%20-%20Black/AeromotionsWingUnmounted-web.jpg

Wing In-trunk Mounting Brackets (the wing is so solid you can literally push the car around by the uprights)

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i167/nocab72/E46%20M3%20Build%20-%20Black/WingMountBrackets-web.jpg

Front Splitter

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i167/nocab72/E46%20M3%20Build%20-%20Black/Splitter-med.jpg

Gregory Mark one of the engineers responsible for designing the Aeromotions wing flew down from Cambridge, MA to assist us in tuning the wing and determining the maximum angle of attack before stall. He taped short pieces of yarn under the wing, attached his portable USB camera and watched as we drove the car up and down the street, adjusting the angle of the wing.

Preparing for initial wing stall angle testing

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i167/nocab72/E46%20M3%20Build%20-%20Black/Barry_and_AeromotionsWing-web.jpg

An some action shots from Labor Day at VIR.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i167/nocab72/27-29-Aug-10_PCA_Pics/pcapotsept-00357-med.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i167/nocab72/27-29-Aug-10_PCA_Pics/pcapotsept-00458-med.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i167/nocab72/27-29-Aug-10_PCA_Pics/pcapotsept-01423-med.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i167/nocab72/27-29-Aug-10_PCA_Pics/pcapotsept-03649-res.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i167/nocab72/27-29-Aug-10_PCA_Pics/pcapotsept-08954-med.jpg

How's the learning curve been with upgrading to two way over single adjustable?

I'm eyeing AST 5100's for my next car but I'm guessing I'll upgrade them to 5200's at some point and when you get to that cost level it's hard not to look at other options like Motons in the first place. The 5100's are a nice way to get stuff on the car at a reasonable cost initially though I was just shocked at the 2K price tag to upgrade them after the fact.

Andy

How's the learning curve been with upgrading to two way over single adjustable?

Andy

Andy - There isn't much of a learning curve really. Just another set of knobs to help dial in the handling and balance of the car.

Since I have two E46 M3 track cars - identical year & model, when it came time for me to upgrade from the 5100's to 5200's I didn't actually go the upgrade route. The #67 car (silver) still had stock suspension, it was an easier and ultimately less expensive route to remove the 5100's from the #72 car (black), install them on the #67 and buy new 5200's for the #72.

--

Why AST?

I looked at Moton, Ohlin & AST when I was suspension shopping. All high end stuff, all comparable price points for what I wanted and all pretty equivalent from a quality standpoint.

AST ultimately won - because of their extremely high level of customer service. Shocks are something that isn't install and forget - post sale support was important to me.

BTW: AST was selected as the replacement "spec" shock for GrandAm Continental Tire Series in 2011 - replacing the Koni. So expect some new race tested & proven enhancements to their shocks in the coming year(s).

Why AST?

AST ultimately won - because of their extremely high level of customer service. Shocks are something that isn't install and forget - post sale support was important to me.

That's exactly the reason I'm leaning towards Moton's for my next car, their current involvement in the model / brand is above and beyond the others. AST only has one offering for the chassis I'm looking to buy and it's not techically for the Model that I'm looking at despite the similarities between them. Despite re-assurance from AST I'm worried things like shock length might be an issue when the two models have drasitcally different ride heights, upright geometry, etc from the factory. It'd be like buying a coilover designed for a 330 to put on your M3. Sure it would work, but is it optimal on the M3?

If I was re-doing the suspension on my M3 I'd be all over the AST's though. That's what got me looking at them in the first place was all the great feedback from the M3 guys.

That's exactly the reason I'm leaning towards Moton's for my next car, their current involvement in the model / brand is above and beyond the others. AST only has one offering for the chassis I'm looking to buy and it's not techically for the Model that I'm looking at despite the similarities between them. Despite re-assurance from AST I'm worried things like shock length might be an issue when the two models have drasitcally different ride heights, upright geometry, etc from the factory. It'd be like buying a coilover designed for a 330 to put on your M3. Sure it would work, but is it optimal on the M3?

If I was re-doing the suspension on my M3 I'd be all over the AST's though. That's what got me looking at them in the first place was all the great feedback from the M3 guys.

What is your time frame to purchase?

Take a look at the variety of cars in GrandAm Continental Tire Series - everything from Miata to Mini to Kia to Porsche. AST will be putting shocks on all those cars next year starting in Jan 2011. If AST doesn't have a setup for your car yet - chances are they will soon. This is a huge step up in diversity for AST.

Kyle

• Upvote 1

So are these boner-inducing M3s just built for HPDEs?

hahha, thx for the props.

Is there any other purpose?

The goal for August was to get the car built & prepared in NASA GTS3 race trim (sans some minor race required/specific items like fire system, kill switch & window nets).

NASA TimeTrials this fall and NASA GTS3/4 Racing in 2011.

Kyle

You are probably one of the most lucky people on the board. I would love to do this stuff. + rep

If by "lucky" you mean super smart guy that's made a decent living for himself so he can afford all the toys most people dream about, then yes, he's lucky.

Keep it up Kyle. The cars look good.

I just noticed you are in DC too. CMH to DC transplant I assume? Me too.

Where are you located in the DMV?

I actually need to update my location -- I moved back to Columbus 6 months ago. I was in DC 4.5 yrs stationed at the pentagon, living on Bolling AFB. I decided to do the whole house-in-the-suburbs thing and I couldn't swing North Arlington.

If by "lucky" you mean super smart guy that's made a decent living for himself so he can afford all the toys most people dream about, then yes, he's lucky.

Keep it up Kyle. The cars look good.

I can't decide the purpose behind your post, so I'll reiterate, yes, he's "lucky". I don't know him or what he does but I do know with the money I've sunk into my education and career I sure would like to be doing the same thing.

Couple Random laps from VIR last weekend (from camera mounted on front/top of windshield) - gives nice panoramic view.

And my fast lap of the weekend from inside the car -- made quite a few mistakes, should have been a 2:07.x.

BTW the previous GTS3 lap record was a 2:09.6. I went 2:08.2 and thought I was king of the hill until Josh Smith (another E46 M3 friend) tore off a 2:06!