Router Booster Advice Needed?

hpfiend

Hey all,

I know some of you work in IT related fields... does anyone know of a way to boost your wireless signal so that it will work at a greater distance or through more walls? It is about 50/50 where my wife would like to store the laptop and when it locks on it is pretty good but once you move it and bring it back it loses its signal for a long time. It works much better on the kitchen table but she is sick of it being there....

so...? Anyone know of an antenna or something that will sit next to the computer and help?

Also- is it a wireless router or cable modem or provider that is the problem if lately it seems like I have to reset it all of the time to get the internet to work?

Thanks!

I have a linksys 545g wireless router or something like that... my computer does not have an exposed antenna it is an internal card. I will look into making my own antenna and google dd-wrt... another router would pick up the same signal? Not sure if an N router would work with my old r50 laptop... The router is as central to the house as I can be I ran power and coax to a shelf I built near the top of a coat closet directly in the center of the house as the wife did not like it sitting on a dresser.....

Thanks!

I have a linksys 545g wireless router or something like that... my computer does not have an exposed antenna it is an internal card. I will look into making my own antenna... another router would pick up the signal? Not sure if an N router would work with my old r50 laptop... The router is as central to the house as I can be...

Thanks!

If your laptop is more than two years old, it most likely is not "N" compatible. You could also upgrade your card if you did want it to be "N".

Thanks for the help thus far guys! Ok- N router wont work, cannot do cantenna or other homemade rig as my wireless card does not have an external antenna.

I looked up dd-wrt and it will work with my router but I am a bit concerned about ramping up the output power beyond what the manufacturer designed for risk of fire as more power probably means more heat, or increased risk of cancer from chronic high electromagnetic radiation (the router is right outside my infant sons room)- am I completely off-base on these concerns? My router is currently a linksys wrt54g version 6.0

Tell me about adding another router? Do I just get another one of the same make and model and somehow sync them? Plug it in to power near the computer and then use the ethernet port on it and plug it into the computer? Is this better than the 90.00 wireless booster? That sounds kind of steep...

Maybe I should just run a splitter and mount a coax outlet to where the wife wants the computer to stay...

Thank you for your help!

If you can just run a wired setup, that would be most cost efficient. adding another router would be about the same as a signal booster, or range extender.http://www.bestbuy.com/site/D-Link+-+Wireless-N+Range+Extender/9807689.p?id=1218176626462&skuId=9807689&st=range%20extender&cp=1&lp=1

802.11G is the same frequency as a microwave oven, but WAY less power. If you are more than 30 centimeters from the antenna, you don't have to worry.

You can bridge another wireless device to the current one, just google your model and something like "how to extend range" or "bridge"

okay- you guys are GOOD! I did the wrt-dd firmware upgrade and my connectivity is much better at distance! Also- my magic jack now works and before it would time out every 3-5 minutes and drop the call...

Now to google how to set the ack timing for optimum performance!

30 cm is about 1 foot correct- well it is about 7 feet off the ground and about 10-15 feet through a wall to my son's crib - I may put some aluminum foil on that wall just in case....