D'OH! GM Recall

CRed05

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gm_recall

DETROIT – General Motors Co. is recalling 1.3 million Chevrolet and Pontiac compact cars sold in the U.S., Canada and Mexico to fix power steering motors that can fail.

The recall affects 2005 to 2010 Chevrolet Cobalts, 2007 to 2010 Pontiac G5s, 2005 and 2006 Pontiac Pursuits sold in Canada and 2005 and 2006 Pontiac G4s sold in Mexico.

The automaker said Monday the vehicles are still safe to drive and never lose their steering, but it may be harder to steer them when traveling under 15 mph.

GM spokesman Alan Adler said it will take time for the automaker to get 1.3 million new power steering motors from the supplier, JTEKT Corp., and GM will notify car owners when the parts are available.

Adler said the failures are rare and the cars can still be driven until motors can be replaced by dealers. Drivers will see a warning light and hear a chime if the power steering fails, but they could be surprised when the steering becomes more difficult.

GM told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about the recall on Monday. NHTSA began an investigation into 905,000 of the models on Jan. 27 after getting 1,100 complaints that the cars lost their power steering assist. The complaints included 14 crashes and one injury.

The automaker will fix older models first because it usually takes 20,000 to 30,000 miles of driving for the condition to develop, Adler said. GM also will have to repair thousands of vehicles on dealer lots before they can be sold, he said.

"Recalling these vehicles is the right thing to do for our customers' peace of mind," Jamie Hresko, GM's vice president of quality, said in a statement.

Adler said if the power steering assist fails, it usually comes back for a time after the car is shut off and restarted.

The recall comes at a time of heightened interest in auto safety after sudden acceleration problems experienced in some Toyota Motor Corp. vehicles.

Toyota has had to recall 8.5 million vehicles worldwide to fix problems with sticky gas pedals, floor mats that can snag the gas pedal and cause unintended acceleration, and brake software problems with the Prius gas-electric hybrid.

Toyota executives have been summoned to testify before congressional committees investigating the company's actions and whether NHTSA did enough to make sure the Toyotas are safe.

yeah because uncontrollable acceleration is the same as having to us manual steering.

It's still a safety recall

Just wait until there's a death related accident.. it will surely get blown out of proportion, too.

Thanks,

Eric

Mechanics at these dealers are loving this stuff. Extra work puts more money in their pockets. Let them keep designing shitty stuff and fixing it stateside.

True, but they only pay warranty time and from my experience, its shitty. About half the time the customer pay job pays.

True, but they only pay warranty time and from my experience, its shitty. About half the time the customer pay job pays.

Well when customers are not fixing cars in a bad economy warranty work is welcomed especially when it is covering so many sold and unsold cars. Ask any Lexus/Toyota tech.

Electronic Power Assist for the lose. They have been having these issues for a long time with these systems. Go back to

hydraulic assist and be done with it.

+1

Most of the electronic shit now used to be mechanical and worked fine when it was. At least if it didn't it was a lot easier to fix than now. Part of me thinks we're just over engineering everything for no reason at all at this point.

Guest Removed
Mechanics at these dealers are loving this stuff. Extra work puts more money in their pockets. Let them keep designing shitty stuff and fixing it stateside.

umm no

this..warranty time dont pay shit...after you do 10 or 20, then you might start making money on it

Well when customers are not fixing cars in a bad economy warranty work is welcomed especially when it is covering so many sold and unsold cars. Ask any Lexus/Toyota tech.

Talked too one yesterday, they are not liking it much.

this!

acura had a power steering recall, the pressure line could leak and cause a fire since it was routed about the rear converter, warranty time is 1.9hrs, I can get them done in 30-45min, that includes removing the rear engine mount

this!

acura had a power steering recall, the pressure line could leak and cause a fire since it was routed about the rear converter, warranty time is 1.9hrs, I can get them done in 30-45min, that includes removing the rear engine mount

Hey Rob, see this above, this is the same thing I am being told by my friend. More money in the dealer tech's pocket since the recall. Truthfully, I'd rather do warranty work then sit on my tool box. Which is what I was being told was happening because of the economy.

GM has been having steering rack issues for decades. I remember my wife bought a new 1991 GTZ and it failed mulitple times. As did both my GTP's and still my GXP which had morning sickness and it only had 14k on the ODO. Come to expect it with GM now.

Hey Rob, see this above, this is the same thing I am being told by my friend. More money in the dealer tech's pocket since the recall. Truthfully, I'd rather do warranty work then sit on my tool box. Which is what I was being told was happening because of the economy.

we have a total of 10 techs in the shop and about 19-24 appointments each day to divide up between us all, all i have to say is this is the worst its ever been since I've started back in 1996, hell I use to average 330+hrs a month, now I'm lucky to get 170 a month, I welcome all work that comes through the shop doors

we have a total of 10 techs in the shop and about 19-24 appointments each day to divide up between us all, all i have to say is this is the worst its ever been since I've started back in 1996, hell I use to average 330+hrs a month, now I'm lucky to get 170 a month, I welcome all work that comes through the shop doors

170 sounds about right, stop complaining. :p