Optima Batteries, any better?

Science Abuse

I had one in my thunderbird that lasted for years.

I had one in my Cougar that lasted a couple months then tried to explode.

I've heard plenty of complaints, yet I know that people who have no problems usually don't say anything. The outbut is better than anything else on the market, this is for a DD that goes cold-assed places.

Thoughts?

Guest tbutera2112
I had a yellow top in my Civic, it was fine one day and a paperweight the next. Had it for less than a year.

this... i went through 3 of them and the 1year warranty on the yellow tops sucks...

i think the red top has a 3-5 yr, dont remember

all in all...i will never buy one again

from what it sounds like its hit or miss with them

+1

I know a couple of people who have had great luck with them, but others that just couldn't get one to last.

I have been out of the game for a while but as I recall the Odyssey batteries have always had a solid rep. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/500/506/506-PC925MJT.jpg

You really can't go wrong with a good battery from NAPA. I sold them for 10 or so years, and most people were thrilled with them (me included). They have an 84 month warranty, like some other places.

All the Optimas I had came in cars I bought with them already in and were usually cars that only ran once or twice a week and I never had issues with them, even in Winter.

+1

I know a couple of people who have had great luck with them, but others that just couldn't get one to last.

I have been out of the game for a while but as I recall the Odyssey batteries have always had a solid rep. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/500/506/506-PC925MJT.jpg

These are what we use when we can.

Dry Cell Deka FTW! Deka is the largest manufacturer of batteries in the US i believe out of my hometown in fleetwood Pa. They make the batteries that all the other brands use. I think there are only three major manufacturer of batteries in the Us.

Guest Removed

optimas are hit or miss on the yellow tops. had much better luck with red tops, and blues.

Odyssey batteries, are fucking great, but as stated, pricey

good old replacement batteries also seem to due the job just fine, but trust me, they can be hit or miss aswell. 1 out of 10 may give a issue it seems any more.

I agree DEKA if you want to go dry cell. Big crank.com has a good selection at decent prices.

They're not great in the cold if you're not driving the car every day though. My 18lb deka in the M3 makes it about 3 days in the cold before it won't start the car any longer.

For a DD I'd just get the best mix of cheap and good warranty through the local parts stores. I think the battery in my Audi is from AutoZone and is 6 years old and still puts up with me leaving doors and trunk open for hours on end while I'm detailing cars with no issues.

Think it cost me $60 back in the day. Benz needs one and I'm going to go the same route with that car.

I have had two Optima batteries. One in a 98' Mustang GT, loved it, made the car start so much quicker, had it for over two years. I just this passed year put on in my 02' Jeep Wrangler 4.0L, Autozone's computer even said that the only battery they recommend for a wrangler, because of the high requirements on the battery. I intend on purchasing them for any other future battery replacement needs.

I have sold many odyssey batteries for motorcycles and have only had minor issues. I would say they are a good bet too. At the end of the day i would say buy the best battery you can for the amount of money you can spend.

had one yellow top it lasted 2 months then it got a bad cell may be caused by a bad alternator, then got a regular one before replacing alternator then it died then replaced the alternator recharged battery then everything fine...

my point is that personally "optima" is just mehhh

I've always liked my redtop Optimas. The only problem I ever had was leaving mine sit all last winter, but they warrantied it out no problem.

No one ever has any luck with the yellow tops, but they're deep cycle batteries and aren't needed anyway.