NEW 2009 SRT8 Challenger sells for $29k (eBay oops)

Adam L

i called the dealership and talked to brad davis the sales manager, they said its not for sale anymore, but then i asked if it isnt for sale why did you re-list it on ebay?.... he said ebay relisted it and its their fault. He didnt know what yo do. I can tell he has been getting call after call on it, most people probly yelling at him hahaha

i thought that's what those cars sold for anyways.

lol.

The shitty part about this is if it was the other way around and he overbid you know the dealership would be all over his ass with lawyers and shit.

hypothetically...if you bid and won for that cheap would you take the car if you knew the seller made a mistake and is now going to lose his job?

I would let the seller keep it if that were the case and it was a salesman at a dealer.

No you wouldn't.

hypothetically...if you bid and won for that cheap would you take the car if you knew the seller made a mistake and is now going to lose his job?

I would let the seller keep it if that were the case and it was a salesman at a dealer.

I tried playing devil's advocate in this case but if you are in a sales position like that and decide to use eBay as a way to make a sale, you should know your shit and not forget one of the most important parts of the auction; the reserve.

If it was an brand new iPod that I won for $3, it'd be different. This is a fucking car. Pay attention to your ad.

This has apparently happened before and the deal will hold up in court as long as he follows the terms of the deal and doesn't give them any legal room to back out. They put in the auction it was a legally binding contract. Ebay didn't add that part, the dealership did.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/complaintdesk/2009/12/bidder_gets_the_challenger_wit.html

Edited by Richard Cranium
added link to similar news story

I'd keep the car. The guy who messed up is likely going to be in trouble either way. If he's a higher level manager, he deserves what comes his way. If he's not, then shame on them for not having a level of checks and balances.

Either way, if that were me in this situation, I'd call directly into the owner and advise them that that I will be there in 24hrs to pick up my car in person to drive it back. I'd have a cashiers check in hand too.

I ran this by my wife and she's 100% confident that he will either get the car or be fairly compensated. He "may" have to take it to court, but if it were her case, she'd file it with a requirement that when victory hits her side, the dealership would pay the attorney fees too. Considering the bad PR and costs involved, the dealership will likely pony-up. Not only are there other cases to serve as precedents, but there are even more cases where the buyers tried to back out and lost too, thus reinforcing the binding contracts on eBay.

Congrats to that guy. I certainly hope he crossed his t's and ends up with the car.

Yes i would. Absolutely

It's not like he went in there saying he is only paying 29.1k or a brand new srt-8. He won an AUCTION... what part about AUCTION do you not understand? It wasn't a mistake, the dealership put it on no reserve (gamble) and they didn't win this time. The only reason the dealership is trying to say they made a mistake is because they didn't get the result from a no reserve auction that they had planned. Tough luck, car sold. Time to sell it for the winning bid.

This isn't a question of ethics on the winners end, bit only on the dealerships end and whether they want to do it the hard way or just get it over with minimal destruction to thier reputation.

Latest update...

Hitman:

Quick update: Down to the point, drove to G.E.T.D. and talked to the main man in charge of all this and the listing.

NO, he did not want to sell me the car or honor the auction. I showed all my paperwork to pay for the car and he didn't want nothing to do with it.

Thanks to ALL THE MESSAGE BOARDS AND SUPPORTS that picked up on this.

It's not over yet…

It's not like he went in there saying he is only paying 29.1k or a brand new srt-8. He won an AUCTION... what part about AUCTION do you not understand? It wasn't a mistake, the dealership put it on no reserve (gamble) and they didn't win this time. The only reason the dealership is trying to say they made a mistake is because they didn't get the result from a no reserve auction that they had planned. Tough luck, car sold. Time to sell it for the winning bid.

This isn't a question of ethics on the winners end, bit only on the dealerships end and whether they want to do it the hard way or just get it over with minimal destruction to thier reputation.

Im not questioning the fact that the dealership gambled and lost. Nor am I saying its a matter of ethics. Im simply saying... if it were a salesmans job at stake. I'd be fine with not taking it.

You are focused more on the technical aspect (Which i dont doubt)

If you read my original question, all i asked is if the situation led to some salespersons job on the line.. .would you take it. My answer is no (it is a factual piece of information)... then you told "no you wouldn't" (in regards to passing up the opportunity to get the car for the cheap winning bid)...

I dont care if you would, i dont care if you wouldnt. Im not going to hate anyone that would take it... nor anyone who wouldnt. I simply wouldn't. This isnt a matter of entitlement.. the winner is OBVIOUSLY entitled (contractually by andale's terms) to purchase the car for the winning bid.

Heres the big point if you read nothing else of this post...

^^^You and I agree that the guy is absolutely entitled to buy the car.

You and I dont agree whether or not I'd take the car If i won it and a guys job was on the line. You are wrong (because i originally said it) and you cant prove otherwise since I'm not in the situation. Either way... I'd choose not to let a guy lose his job over it. I dont care who is entitled to what (my original question isnt a matter of entitlement)...it was just a queston.

http://www.theteeparty.com/designs/400/suck_it_img1.gif