Need Jet Boat Advice

Bahnstoermer1647545488

Hilarious, I come on to get boat advice (I know little of them) and there's a flippin boat forum on CR, had no idea...

Lovin it. Anyway, need good advice on a used jet boat, I'm having a pipe dream of buying one for the summer (cheaper than cars, or at least the cars I want LOL). Give me a quick run down, say $7-12k range, on recommended jet boat models. Just for fun, bikinis and skiing / tubes and chillin and such, no serious wake board requirements or anything :)

A 20 minute search has landed me at SeaDoo Rotax 215 HP thingy's looking purty....

Edited by Bahnstoermer

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hilarious, I come on to get boat advice (I know little of them) and there's a flippin boat forum on CR, had no idea...

Lovin it. Anyway, need good advice on a used jet boat, I'm having a pipe dream of buying one for the summer (cheaper than cars, or at least the cars I want LOL). Give me a quick run down, say $7-12k range, on recommended jet boat models. Just for fun, bikinis and skiing / tubes and chillin and such, no serious wake board requirements or anything :)

A 20 minute search has landed me at SeaDoo Rotax 215 HP thingy's looking purty....

Anything under 19' is gonn a be a rough ride in choppy water. Seadoos make good boats as I have had 2 of them. Only problem is sucking stuff from the lake up into the jets. It can fuck some shit up. But they are fun lil boats.

Can you comment on the reliability of the rotax?

sams boat has two supercharged rotax motors.. boat freeking fliess!!!!

seems to never have an issue also

"idriveititbreaks" has one of thsoe in his jet ski an his is modded an doesnt have many issues.

I see I see.

1. Looking at Yamaha AR 215s now, any input on those?

2. What SeaDoo models did you have Sam, own any for this season? Boating is always more fun with a crew :)

I had a 16 seadoo speedster, twin 110 rotax motors. Never had any issues with it except when Cavin dropped the rope in the water next to it and it sucked it up in the jet. Currently I have a 20 foot seadoo speedster with twin supercharged 215 motors. It will do about 65 or so on smooth water with just one passenger. I have not had one issue with it yet goin on the 4th yr now. As long as you winterize boats, usually they are pretty easy to maintain. I dunno anything about the yamaha's but I see alot of them on the lake so they must be some what decent.

Here is the old boat. 220hp seated 5, 16ft, not a smooth ride on chop but still fun to do 360's in.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t214/ls2sam/boat1.jpg

Current boat, 430hp, 20ft, can seat 8 easy, 10 packed in and still go 59mph. A ton better in choppy water. Alot smoother.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t214/ls2sam/boat2.jpg

You going to be out in it a fair amount this year Sam? Part of my decision will be how many people there are to join in the fun with. More boats = more fun.

It appears I'm looking at the Yamaha equivalent of both of those boats you had, the older flatter style that's rougher in chop and the newer style with more V and weight and power and all that... an AR210 vs a 212SS. I want the SS, but then I always want what costs more....

You going to be out in it a fair amount this year Sam? Part of my decision will be how many people there are to join in the fun with. More boats = more fun.

It appears I'm looking at the Yamaha equivalent of both of those boats you had, the older flatter style that's rougher in chop and the newer style with more V and weight and power and all that... an AR210 vs a 212SS. I want the SS, but then I always want what costs more....

Cr boat night during rthe week has 5 to 15 people on any given night.

The weekends a lot of us are out as well.

Excellent. I took the plunge and left a voice mail on the dealer's system to put a deposit on a 212SS. Hopefully they still have it...

http://www.topspeed.com/boats/yamaha/2008-yamaha-212ss-ar43974.html

Seems to be a slightly larger boat than the Sea Doos, little less speed little more party... assuming it works out, I am crazy pumped.

Where do you kids usually play, Alum Creek, Indian Lake... ?

It's been years since I regularly hung out with CR outside of CyberSpace, despite being one of the oldest members LOL. Will be good to chill again, never guessed it would be on the water.

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/jpg/200709/2008-yamaha-212ss-5w.jpg

thats a nice boat...but preety pricy for your first boat(assuming this is your first boat hate to spend all the money to find out that boating might not be your thing) )... an way above your 7-12 range u posted about earlier

Yeah, I like nice shit what can I say. I'll just be trying not to F it up. Shouldn't be harder than keeping a bike on the street. Hell, there's a shit ton less stuff to hit on the water LOL.

Hopefully it is the right decision - was freaked out when I bought my first bike, now I can't imagine not riding. I'm hoping the boat goes the same way... this is assuming they didn't sell it Friday or Saturday and I don't get religious before tomorrow morning :p

- EDIT -

Note #1: Deposit made.

Note #2. Picking up boat in TN in a few weeks. Sizzle Marine here in Cbus made asses of themselves while I was shopping, in the course of conversation loudly noting they refuse to work on a boat they didn't sell, warranty or not, even though they'd get paid to do it. They didn't have the year or color or price I wanted nor could they get it, but that didn't seem to matter. Anyone else delt with these guys? Tools in my opinion... guess the boat better run well :)

Edited by Bahnstoermer

I had a 16 seadoo speedster, twin 110 rotax motors. Never had any issues with it except when Cavin dropped the rope in the water next to it and it sucked it up in the jet. Currently I have a 20 foot seadoo speedster with twin supercharged 215 motors. It will do about 65 or so on smooth water with just one passenger. I have not had one issue with it yet goin on the 4th yr now. As long as you winterize boats, usually they are pretty easy to maintain. I dunno anything about the yamaha's but I see alot of them on the lake so they must be some what decent.

Linn: Cavin! Cavin! Don't let that rope drag in the water!

Cavin: Oh, oh FUCK!

Linn: You idiot

Sam: Cavin, why the fuck were you dragging that rap in the water.

Yeah, I like nice shit what can I say. I'll just be trying not to F it up. Shouldn't be harder than keeping a bike on the street. Hell, there's a shit ton less stuff to hit on the water LOL.

Hopefully it is the right decision - was freaked out when I bought my first bike, now I can't imagine not riding. I'm hoping the boat goes the same way... this is assuming they didn't sell it Friday or Saturday and I don't get religious before tomorrow morning :p

- EDIT -

Note #1: Deposit made.

Note #2. Picking up boat in TN in a few weeks. Sizzle Marine here in Cbus made asses of themselves while I was shopping, in the course of conversation loudly noting they refuse to work on a boat they didn't sell, warranty or not, even though they'd get paid to do it. They didn't have the year or color or price I wanted nor could they get it, but that didn't seem to matter. Anyone else delt with these guys? Tools in my opinion... guess the boat better run well :)

Congrats, on the new boat.

Just learn how to back a trailor down the boat ramp before you get to the dock.

I'll see you out on the water this season.