Jeep Cherokee SRT8 owners

Scotty2Hotty

I know there's a few on here, granted not as many as the TBSS crowd, but wanted to hear your overall opinion of the vehicle and any issues you may have had. From what I know is the tranny pan likes to leak a bit, and the Brembos on all 4 corners aren't cheap to replace rotors. I haven't heard anything out of the SRT8 Cherokee crowd, so I was curious. (This is one of the few vehicles I've been looking at for my DD.)

PS- Don't care to hear about the TBSS option.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm one model down, Limited with the 5.7 Hemi plus AWD. Only two reasons I didn't get an SRT8 - 1: too much more $$$, and 2: Tow rating is very low, plus you have to relocate the exhaust to install a hitch. As for TBSS vs. Hemi Jeep - I ran jaSSon in his TBSS and was nose to nose with him until halfway to the next light, when he started pulling. I have no doubt that an SRT8 would have a slight advantage over the TBSS.

I looked into them a few years back before I bought my Colorado. At the time, I hadn't decided to sell the Z06, so, being that they were so expensive, I decided to keep the vette and buy a Colorado as a DD. Now, I'm kinda pissed I didn't sell the vette and get the SRT. I'd take one over a TBSS, handsdown. I just can't fall in love with the TBSS for some reason.

Downsides that I can see;

-as was mentioned, they're hard to tow with.

-fuel mileage is HORRIBLE. Seriously, I'm not sure why it's so damn low, but it is. Typical Chrysler.

I know the 4th gen JGCs are around the corner. Has anyone heard if they're going to offer a new version SRT8? I hate my Colorado and if they plan on offering one, it might be something I'd look into.

I looked into them a few years back before I bought my Colorado. At the time, I hadn't decided to sell the Z06, so, being that they were so expensive, I decided to keep the vette and buy a Colorado as a DD. Now, I'm kinda pissed I didn't sell the vette and get the SRT. I'd take one over a TBSS, handsdown. I just can't fall in love with the TBSS for some reason.

-fuel mileage is HORRIBLE. Seriously, I'm not sure why it's so damn low, but it is. Typical Chrysler.

I know the 4th gen JGCs are around the corner. Has anyone heard if they're going to offer a new version SRT8? I hate my Colorado and if they plan on offering one, it might be something I'd look into.

Even if they did they wouldnt offer it until the first year or two into the new model production. So if your that interested in them you'd be waiting a while. Then again, when/if they do come out im sure original SRT's prices would then fall.

I never liked the center mounted exhaust either, no functionality at all just pure looks and it doesnt even look that great.

Now, I'm kinda pissed I didn't sell the vette and get the SRT. I'd take one over a TBSS, handsdown. I just can't fall in love with the TBSS for some reason.

-Agreed, with the TBSS, I'm not impressed and know their track record.

-I know the Hemi motors tend to run fat, so from what I've heard a tune can work miracles on the 6.1's. Especially since the SRT8 Cherokees are AWD.

-I'd be interested in a 4th Gen, just haven't seen a new JGC to say if I like it or not. I've been looking into a few SRT8's and found quite a few under the 15K milage range. Not to mention found the blue/gray color I like.

For me the combo of 4 doors, V8, AWD, and relatively fun all fit in a nice package I can keep my junk in. So if I wanted to go on a trip or go shooting, I have enough room to cram it all in and haul people.

(Forgot the color, it's called STEEL BLUE )

http://www.jeephowto.com/wk/srt8/2006_wk_srt8_087.jpg

i don't know much about them other than modern horsepower is the place to go to get a tune from. their tunes are more expensive than others, but they are also much better as well(the big difference is in the tranny tuning). they've already tuned a few veyrons in the mid-east, so they know their shit. they also make some nice hard parts too, like headers. ford guys might know andy(the owner), he goes by fourcam330 on forums.

I'm one model down, Limited with the 5.7 Hemi plus AWD. Only two reasons I didn't get an SRT8 - 1: too much more $$$, and 2: Tow rating is very low, plus you have to relocate the exhaust to install a hitch. As for TBSS vs. Hemi Jeep - I ran jaSSon in his TBSS and was nose to nose with him until halfway to the next light, when he started pulling. I have no doubt that an SRT8 would have a slight advantage over the TBSS.

I need more stall converter. :(

I don't know what it had done to it but there was a silver one at one of last years track events at trails that was pretty damn fast...

I ran my dad's 08 ls3 vette against it and wasn't really paying attention to the light to get a good launch but I don't think I caught him. I will have to check the timeslips but I think the vette ran a 12.65 and he ran a 12.78 or something like that... vette only weighs 3100 lbs fwiw.

I don't know what it had done to it but there was a silver one at one of last years track events at trails that was pretty damn fast...

I ran my dad's 08 ls3 vette against it and wasn't really paying attention to the light to get a good launch but I don't think I caught him. I will have to check the timeslips but I think the vette ran a 12.65 and he ran a 12.78 or something like that... vette only weighs 3100 lbs fwiw.

they are capable of low 13's stock. he might not have had much done

really? The numbers really don't add up for that... hp/weight...

08 Corvette - 436 hp 3100 lbs

10 SRT8 - 420 hp 4820 lbs

Don't get me wrong they are fast trucks and the vette has a little more in it but they shouldn't even be close-

Figuring an 18% loss- probably higher with the auto and awd they have about 356 to the wheels which puts it at high 13s??? mid 13s I guess if they really brake launched it on all four wheels but then again you have less aerodynamics....hmm

What does the underrated 390 hp 3700 lb cobra run stock? 12.6-12.8? if you add a 1.1 seconds for 1100 lbs then subtract 3 tenths for the extra 30 hp you are looking at 13.4-13.6?

Edited by hpfiend

really? The numbers really don't add up for that... hp/weight...

08 Corvette - 436 hp 3100 lbs

10 SRT8 - 420 hp 4820 lbs

Don't get me wrong they are fast trucks and the vette has a little more in it but they shouldn't even be close-

Figuring an 18% loss- probably higher with the auto and awd they have about 356 to the wheels which puts it at high 13s??? mid 13s I guess if they really brake launched it on all four wheels but then again you have less aerodynamics....hmm

What does the underrated 390 hp 3700 lb cobra run stock? 12.6-12.8? if you add a 1.1 seconds for 1100 lbs then subtract 3 tenths for the extra 30 hp you are looking at 13.4-13.6?

i agree, it doesn't make sense. but they run hard, and that's what they are capable of. like said, they come off the line like a raped ape

TBSS FTL. :cool:

Oh Hai Jason!

SRT8 JGCs MURDER shit from a dig.

TRUTH!

Been ate up by this kid w/ a murdered out one w/ big black wheels and blue HID's a few times. Got him from a roll of 315 once but everytime i see him at a light he DIPS out. Those things HAUL ASS from a stop.

Its about damn time you start switching over.

I've got a Dodge Ram :p I want something 4 door, quick, AWD, and not to mention aftermarket parts availible for it. I looked at the Raptor F150's, but I don't think I'll be happy. I've driven a few SRT8's and love them. I want some owner info on one before I drop $30K. I still need to get behind the wheel of an Audi S4 to confirm.

I still need to get behind the wheel of an Audi S4 to confirm.

I'm currently looking for a B6 S4, but I am yet to the one I want. I almost did but it was a fail automatic. I am also looking at 05+ Grand Cherokee which at the point looks more and more likely.

I'm currently looking for a B6 S4, but I am yet to the one I want. I almost did but it was a fail automatic. I am also looking at 05+ Grand Cherokee which at the point looks more and more likely.

You'll be happy for about 5 seconds, and then realize it's American and everything isn't wrapped in sumptous european leather and want to sell it. Just get a rover.

Mr.Jones and I spoke about the B6 S4, and it seems like a pretty stable/reliable platform. Like anything German related, you have to pay to play. But in the same aspect, the Cherokee SRT8 is along those same guide lines. Brembo brakes on all 4 corners, along with the parts associated with the 6.1 Hemi aren't exactly cheap either. Was that S4 red per chance?