Texting While Driving Banned in Columbus

3.1cutlass

Just another thing for people to bitch about...people texting, calling, putting on make up, eating, looking at a piece of paper for direction, grabbing a cd, looking at your ipod.....we should ban hot ass bitches because I know I take my eye off the road when I see a fine thing walking down the street. Just more dumb shit on top of more dumb shit.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Set GPS before you go somewhere and boom.

The law wasn't created just to screw you over. There are more people that don't pay attention while using these devices than ones that do. Sometimes one person ruins it for everyone.

I always set it and go, but there's also different views to use, way points to find, etc....so using it only while not moving isn't an option I'm going to pick most of the time.

I'm also not worried about it screwing me over. I'll just mount my phone next to my radio and if the cop says anything, I'll just say I was changing stations. "if" I get busted texting for real, I'll eat it like I would a front plate. If I'm not texting, I guarantee my wife can present enough info to get it kicked when she confronts the prosecutor.

I'm just saying. I've seen enough posts about "That dumb bitch that was texting and driving." When something gets done about it it turns into a shit storm of why are they doing this, it's so dumb.

Ban "dumb bitch" drivers is the obvious solution

I can text an entire conversation without looking at my phone no problems.

You still have to take your eyes off the road to read the message someone sent you

HELL YEAH for this ban. I see so many people texting and not paying attention. I am also all for banning talking on the phone without a hands free device. I am from NY and they have that law. I limit my distractions when I drive. I use a hands free and I don't eat, set up the GPS or text while driving. Hell my MR2 doesn't even have a cup holder. When you are on the road, drive and pay attention. I don't want some ass to rear end me because they were not paying attention.

I'm all for this one. I've been guilty of it at the same time. Too many asshats in this town cover two lanes because they are too busy to drive. Shit I have a hard enough time not weaving without the phone as a distraction...

The ordinance would not only ban text messages and e-mail over the phone, it also would ban drivers from using the Internet by phone, computer or personal digital assistant. Violators could be fined up to $150, and police could stop scofflaws solely for that offense.

Will CPD be removing the laptops from their cruisers?

Guest tbutera2112
theyve been monitoring txts for awhile... they have been used in some cases of accidents to determine fault...if there is a suspicion that you were txting, they can subpoena the phone company for a phone record...every txt you send/receive is logged with a time and date....if you sent a txt at the time or accident or the time you were pulled over, they could charge you with it

I am happy they are making this a law. And it is NOT a law yet, it still has to be signed by Mayor Coleman, who said he will sign. It will be signed in the next couple days. And no, there should not be a "grace" period. Be an informed citizen and read the paper, watch your local news channels, or read it on line, everyone it talking about it.

The thing about GPS units is I believe they can still nail you. You know that disclaimer you click right when you turn it on? It says to stop or pull over to make changes to the GPS unit, and not to drive while doing so.

As far as texting, I think Bexley may be repealing it, or looking at the law harder because there is so much gray area.

I guess this means I will no longer be able to text, play xbox, and control the temperature of my house while I drive down the road trying to focus on 0-60 time trials with the elapsed timer in my on board computer???? damn.

GOOOOOOD! I hope they put this into full force effect and actually ticket people for it.

Sorry blondie in your Bimmer Convertible, but it was bound to happen.

Its just as bad to drive 24mph over the posted speed limit than it is to text while driving.

I hope everyone clogs the court system fighting a ticket they clearly deserve since they broke a law.

i dont understand why this has to go as far as being a law. to me it's common sense. if you want to crash into someone while looking at your radio or texting.. that's your right. are they going to start removing stereos from cars so we dont do that?

kinda ridiculous to me....

i dont understand why this has to go as far as being a law. to me it's common sense. if you want to crash into someone while looking at your radio or texting.. that's your right. are they going to start removing stereos from cars so we dont do that?

kinda ridiculous to me....

Driving is a privilege, not a right. And somebody sure as hell doesnt have the right to go driving into me because he was OMGWTFBBQ txtng his BFF

Its just as bad to drive 24mph over the posted speed limit than it is to text while driving.

I hope everyone clogs the court system fighting a ticket they clearly deserve since they broke a law.

If you can beat the system why not.

And no. I'm still paying attention to the road and am in control of what I'm doing. When you're paying more attention to something other than the road you could be slowing down messing up the flow of traffic. Accidentally speeding up and running into someone, or just completely not being able to react to a situation about to occur on the road.

While I'm speeding on my bike or in my car I'm fully paying attention to the other drivers on the road and what's going on.

studies have shown that people texting and driving are MORE IMPAIRED than a drunk driver. therefore, they should share the same penalties.

either texting should send you to jail, loss of license, max 6 mos/1000 dollar fine

or, drunk driving should be a 150 dollar ticket.