Seafoam....is it worth it?

Berto

How many of you have used seafoam? Been thinking about doing it to the LS1 and my old truck. Just trying to see if its worth it? Has anyone ever gotten any unwanted damage because of using it?

I started using it on my A4 a few oil changes back and have seen no negative effects, not real positives either I suppose maybe a bit smooter running initially after the treatment. Can't hurt much on a car that's got 180K+ miles on it and is notorious for oil sludge issues

I used it via all 3 methods. Through the vacuum tube as a top end cleaner, in the oil as a sludge reducer, and in the fuel tank as an fuel system cleaner.

Guest tbutera2112
Can't hurt much on a car that's got 180K+ miles on it and is notorious for oil sludge issues

i would think the opposite....i wouldnt put seafoam in my oil, ESPECIALLY on a car with 180k miles and thats notorious for sludge

seafoam breaks sludge loose + sludge clogs oil pickup = BOOM bye bye engine

use it in your vac lines though, always hear good results from that

I use it on my car regularly (spring cleaning) and don't notice a huge difference but I also take good care of my car with regular maintenance.

My mom however beats the shit out of her car. About 2 weeks ago I was changing the oil in it for her and noticed that the car idled really rough. I had just bought a can so I figured why not see how it works on an older car with less care… So I did, the car smoked like a mother fucker but after it was all over the car ran a hell of a lot smoother, my mom also mentioned an increase in performance/ gas mileage. So I say it can’t hurt.

Guest tbutera2112
I use it about every other oil change (into the intake via vacuum line), but have never added it to the oil. The rear main seal leak on my Cherokee is bad enough without help. I usually get a little smoother operation for a while after the treatment. I'd say $9 for many uses worth of it isn't bad. I have experienced no negative affects.

i've used it as a fuel additive before.

It's my personal belief that the vacuum line treatment works, but using distilled water in its place will yeild just as positive steam cleaning results.

you can do this? I always heard about putting it in the oil but not in the fuel tank

It will smooth out rough idles a bit but I'd suggest putting new spark plugs in after. It fouled mine out, but it ran realll smooth afterwords.

I have never heard a first-hand case of damage from using it in the intake. People tell stories of it, but that is probably just propaganda from the skeptics. Using it in the oil is riskier but is not going to kill a motor unless its sludge prone, in which case you might develop a problem.

Fun story: When we did it in a friends car, I was pouring it in and he was keeping it alive. I told him to turn the car off. He held up the keys in his hand. The car was off, but was dieseling off of the remaining seafoam in the intake.

Interesting about the "sludge" issue. I purchased a Chevy (Suzuki) Tracker that had been sitting - fixed the "no-run" issues and went out to drive it - "Oil Pressure" light came on. Stopped the truck, checked the oil, all looked good, restarted - no oil light, drove a while, light came back on. CHecked the filter (cut open) changed oil, same issue.

The final analysis was a bunch of sludge/crap/whatever had broken loose in the engine and once driven for a while would accumulate around the oil pickup and cause a loss of oil pressure. For whatever reason, it wouldn't drain out with the old oil. Added Seafoam to the crankcase, warmed up the truck and drove it gently until the oil light would start to flicker on, then stop and let it idle a while. Repeated several times. After about 30 minutes, changed the oil again and had no firther problems.

I have also used it in older engines (via a vacuum hose) and had good results - certainly not a miracle in a can - but it does seem to get results as a solvent.

Guest Removed
Guest Removed
Interesting about the "sludge" issue. I purchased a Chevy (Suzuki) Tracker that had been sitting - fixed the "no-run" issues and went out to drive it - "Oil Pressure" light came on. Stopped the truck, checked the oil, all looked good, restarted - no oil light, drove a while, light came back on. CHecked the filter (cut open) changed oil, same issue.

The final analysis was a bunch of sludge/crap/whatever had broken loose in the engine and once driven for a while would accumulate around the oil pickup and cause a loss of oil pressure. For whatever reason, it wouldn't drain out with the old oil. Added Seafoam to the crankcase, warmed up the truck and drove it gently until the oil light would start to flicker on, then stop and let it idle a while. Repeated several times. After about 30 minutes, changed the oil again and had no firther problems.

I have also used it in older engines (via a vacuum hose) and had good results - certainly not a miracle in a can - but it does seem to get results as a solvent.

this is a common issue on lots of cars...vw's, dodges and so on...mainly it come down to the type of oil you use tho

The sludge issue can go both ways. It could break sludge free and cause problems, or break down the sludge and not have clogs.

Or it could break away sludge acting as seals and cause your motor to piss oil like an irishman on st patricks.

Best bet is just to stick to synthetic and not have to worry as much :thumbup:

you can do this? I always heard about putting it in the oil but not in the fuel tank

yes, it can be a fuel additive/cleaner, oil additive as Craig mentioned, or you can feed it thru a vacuum line to act as a steam cleaner in the cyllinders.

Rotary guys have been doing the steam clean method with distilled water for many years now, and i think the water will have just as positive results if you want to be on the cheap about it.

I use it about every other oil change (into the intake via vacuum line), but have never added it to the oil. The rear main seal leak on my Cherokee is bad enough without help. I usually get a little smoother operation for a while after the treatment. I'd say $9 for many uses worth of it isn't bad. I have experienced no negative affects.

Does this give the impression that you know why? Or are you repeating facts?

I used it in my DD when I hit 100k. The white smoke screen is epic. Make sure your trunk, hood, all doors are open, and that you're driving it backwards down the street to maximize the product.

Maybe people just like it because it produces something impressive looking, taking your mind off the fact it is actually doing nothing to your motor. +1 on correct use.