Why do cars run slower times than advertised?

KStang3.8

For example,

The 2004-2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4.

230bhp

0-60: 5.3

1/4 mile: 13.8

the 2003 was 215bhp, 5.6, 14.2

I have two friends that own 2005's (Chad Snead, Logan Gray, holla if you know them). They went to trails a couple days ago and one ran a 14.6 and i think the other ran a 14.7. They both have done quite a bit to their cars. Intake, exhaust, diablo tuned to more PSI with larger fuel injectors, FMIC.

They're no professionals, but i know both of them are good drivers. and they street race (in mexico) all the time so they're familiar with launching and doing all the shifts and stuff.

Why aren't they running 13.8 or faster? especially with all those mods?

• Downvote 1

yeah really, my cousin only had a few mods done to his and no tune and was able to run a best of 12.6 on drag radials. hell stock he dipped into the 13's a few times on drag radials. what kind of mph are they seeing in the 1/4?

Is one of them Red?

Chad's SRT-4 is Red with blacked out taillights and black wheels.

Logan's is blue with black wheels.

Sounds like the consensus is that they're both bad drivers lol.

and street tires are holding them back?

you gotta remember track temps, altitude, humidity all play a factor too and remember just because a magazine or brochure says all that trash doesn't mean the car can do all that

But most people get pretty close to those numbers if not exactly at them with good driving and good tires.

how do the weather conditions effect it?

Haha my car ran a 13.89 100% stock....its all driver mod :lol: 14.7 in a stock srt4 haha losersoh an chad used to talk all kinds of shit of how bad hes gonna beat me... 100$ race shut up him real quick since he refused to race me....100$ race stilln the tablebtw his cars g

His cars full bot ons plus tune... I'm basic bolt ons untined an I'm hitting 12s....

Ur average driver should hit 14.0 to 14.2 100% stock. Sounds like they need to learn to drive

Haha my car ran a 13.89 100% stock....its all driver mod :lol: 14.7 in a stock srt4 haha losersoh an chad used to talk all kinds of shit of how bad hes gonna beat me... 100$ race shut up him real quick since he refused to race me....100$ race stilln the tablebtw his cars g

His cars full bot ons plus tune... I'm basic bolt ons untined an I'm hitting 12s....

Ur average driver should hit 14.0 to 14.2 100% stock. Sounds like they need to learn to drive

wow it REALLY sounds like they need to learn to drive lol. Holy shit they suck.

Among people our age (especially a few years ago when Chad was a Senior in HS and i was a Junior), Chad was the one that all of us who street raced (ya, i lost a lot) looked up to and thought had the awesomest car. Then Logan beat him with his less modded SRT-4, my friend jesse beat him with his lightly modded + tuned 02 WRX, some kid beat him with a civic hatch even lol. then no one really respected him anymore.

i've seen him back down to races too. my gf's dad has an evo 9, lives down the street from Chad, Chad always revved his car as he passed the house so one day gf's dad walks to his house and says lets drive out 40 and race for 50 bucks since you think your car is so sweet. he said no. all talk no walk.

13.89 stock is .09 different than what all the magazines say, so, sounds like theyre right most of the time after all, you just have to know how to drive.

Also, keep in mind the times posted in the magazines are usually put up by guys/gals that do this for a living. While a lot of the writers may be hacks as drivers - the ones that put up the numbers (especially for the car companies) are paid to get results.

So yes, a driver tune up may be in order. Second, just because you throw parts at a car that advertise .5 seconds faster for each one doesn't mean you get a "cumulative affect" (I put 4 parts on my car that advertise .5 seconds in the 1/4, sooo I should be 2 seconds fater right?). Perhaps a bit of tuning of all the add ons to work better together will help as well.

how do the weather conditions effect it?

weather can effect a lot, example cooler air temps can cause an engine to make more HP where as hot air will cause you to loose HP, track conditions will determine how your car hooks, and altitude plays a huge factor, the higher up you are the air gets thinner and you'll loose HP etc....