Motorcycle Safety Awareness.

SAMBUSA

Shamelessly copied from a good friend of mine.

May Proclaimed Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month.

One out of every nine U.S. road fatalities accounted for last year involved motorcycle riders. This steady increase in fatalities over the past decade represents one of our Nation’s greatest highway safety challenges.

Motorcycle fatalities now account for 11 percent of total road fatalities and have increased each year from a low of 2,116 in 1997 to 4,810 in 2006. So while there has been success in reducing automobile deaths in recent years, this progress is being negated by the rise in motorcycle fatalities, which has more than doubled.

All motorists are reminded to safely “Share the Road” with motorcycles and to be extra alert when driving to help keep motorcyclists safe.

“With warmer weather here, more motorcycles are back on the roads. Drivers of all vehicles need to be extra alert". “Motorcycles are some of the smallest vehicles on the road so folks in other vehicles need to really look out for them—and to take extra care to safely ‘Share the Road’.”

Because of their smaller size, motorcyclists are often hidden in a vehicle’s blind spot. “It’s crucial that motorists always make a visual check for motorcycles by checking mirrors and blind spots before entering or leaving a lane of traffic and at intersections.”

Motorcyclists are much more vulnerable than passenger vehicle drivers in the event of a crash. Research shows that approximately 80 percent of motorcycle crashes injure or kill a motorcycle rider, while only 20 percent of passenger car crashes injure or kill a driver or passenger in their vehicle.

Several tips for drivers to help keep motorcyclists safe on our roadways:

 Remember the motorcycle is a vehicle with all of the rights and privileges of any other motor vehicle on the roadway. Always allow a motorcyclist the full lane width—never try to share a lane;

 Always make a visual check for motorcycles by checking mirrors and blind spots before entering or leaving a lane of traffic and at intersections;

 Always signal your intentions before changing lanes or merging with traffic;

 Don’t be fooled by a flashing turn signal on a motorcycle – motorcycle signals are often not self-canceling and riders sometimes forget to turn them off. Wait to be sure the motorcycle is going to turn before you proceed;

 Remember that road conditions which are minor annoyances to other vehicles pose major hazards to motorcyclists;

 Allow more following distance, three or four seconds, when following a motorcycle, so the motorcyclist has enough time to maneuver or stop in an emergency. And don’t tailgate. In dry conditions, motorcycles can stop more quickly than cars.

Motorcyclists have responsibilities, too, by following the rules of the road, being alert to other drivers, and always wearing DOT-compliant helmets and protective gear.

Our message to all drivers is: make this the first year in recent years when motorcycle fatalities do not increase. Help to share in the responsibility and do your part by safely ‘Sharing the Road’ with motorcycles.”

His patrol bike

ohphayabusa1.jpg

Edited by SAMBUSA
  • Upvote 1

Shamelessly copied from a good friend of mine.

May Proclaimed Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month.

One out of every nine U.S. road fatalities accounted for last year involved motorcycle riders. This steady increase in fatalities over the past decade represents one of our Nation’s greatest highway safety challenges.

Motorcycle fatalities now account for 11 percent of total road fatalities and have increased each year from a low of 2,116 in 1997 to 4,810 in 2006. So while there has been success in reducing automobile deaths in recent years, this progress is being negated by the rise in motorcycle fatalities, which has more than doubled.

All motorists are reminded to safely “Share the Road” with motorcycles and to be extra alert when driving to help keep motorcyclists safe.

“With warmer weather here, more motorcycles are back on the roads. Drivers of all vehicles need to be extra alert". “Motorcycles are some of the smallest vehicles on the road so folks in other vehicles need to really look out for them—and to take extra care to safely ‘Share the Road’.”

Because of their smaller size, motorcyclists are often hidden in a vehicle’s blind spot. “It’s crucial that motorists always make a visual check for motorcycles by checking mirrors and blind spots before entering or leaving a lane of traffic and at intersections.”

Motorcyclists are much more vulnerable than passenger vehicle drivers in the event of a crash. Research shows that approximately 80 percent of motorcycle crashes injure or kill a motorcycle rider, while only 20 percent of passenger car crashes injure or kill a driver or passenger in their vehicle.

Several tips for drivers to help keep motorcyclists safe on our roadways:

 Remember the motorcycle is a vehicle with all of the rights and privileges of any other motor vehicle on the roadway. Always allow a motorcyclist the full lane width—never try to share a lane;

 Always make a visual check for motorcycles by checking mirrors and blind spots before entering or leaving a lane of traffic and at intersections;

 Always signal your intentions before changing lanes or merging with traffic;

 Don’t be fooled by a flashing turn signal on a motorcycle – motorcycle signals are often not self-canceling and riders sometimes forget to turn them off. Wait to be sure the motorcycle is going to turn before you proceed;

 Remember that road conditions which are minor annoyances to other vehicles pose major hazards to motorcyclists;

 Allow more following distance, three or four seconds, when following a motorcycle, so the motorcyclist has enough time to maneuver or stop in an emergency. And don’t tailgate. In dry conditions, motorcycles can stop more quickly than cars.

Motorcyclists have responsibilities, too, by following the rules of the road, being alert to other drivers, and always wearing DOT-compliant helmets and protective gear.

Our message to all drivers is: make this the first year in recent years when motorcycle fatalities do not increase. Help to share in the responsibility and do your part by safely ‘Sharing the Road’ with motorcycles.”

His patrol bike

ohphayabusa1.jpg

Not to make a joke out of a serious topic, but....i've been telling friends and family, it's almost worth it to become a police officer or state trooper. At least the ones who get to ride a motorcycle as their day job. Even dealing with all the other bs....i think that's a top 10 dream job lol. I'm sure you know more than me, i'm sure he doesn't get to ride it every year? Or is he strictly...a cycle trooper?

Strictly cycle trooper. He rides it every year. They have 2 of them. The rest of the bike patrol use harleys

Wow. That's awesome. Correct me if im wrong, but don't you need to become a police officer before your eligible to be a trooper? And then did he have to do anything special to become a cycle trooper? Just wondering how that stuff is determined or how someone's chosen.

Wow. That's awesome. Correct me if im wrong, but don't you need to become a police officer before your eligible to be a trooper? And then did he have to do anything special to become a cycle trooper? Just wondering how that stuff is determined or how someone's chosen.

From what I understand, he has only been a trooper. As far as how he became a trooper I dont know. Will ask him though.

To be able to be a bike trooper, you have to be on the job for at least 2 years to apply. I would think that the app process would be pretty involved considering how good of a rider he is. He's been to a couple of the Keith Code schools(guess they are good friends) among others. He teaches a riders course himself in OK

For the state of Ohio you need just need to apply at the academy. If selected, you take an entrance exam, background check, and a few other things. Then you go through the academy, if you are slected for those that passed the entrance exam.

I don't think the Ohio State Patrol has a Motorcycle Unit.

Edited by Cdubyah

For the state of Ohio you need just need to apply at the academy. If selected, you take an entrance exam, background check, and a few other things. Then you go through the academy, if you are slected for those that passed the entrance exam.

I don't think the Ohio State Patrol has a Motorcycle Unit.

Yeah they had a bike trooper at the Helping Hands Charity ride. everybody was checking out the bike. remember?

Oh wait, you were late.

as usual.:D

• 2 years later...

Ok, I was looking on OSHP website for photos of their motorcycles. I ran into a top ten list of most dangerous motorcycle roads in Ohio.

I travel 5 of them on a regular basis. One of them is every morning. Ack.

Time Frame is 2002-2007.

MP = Mile Post number on the highway.

Here's the list: (opens pdf)

Cuyahoga, Interstate 480, 69 crashes, MP11-MP15

Franklin, Interstate 270, 65 crashes, MP33-MP43

Cuyahoga, Interstate 90, 64 crashes, MP169-MP174

Lake, U.S. Highway 20, 56 crashes, Mentor

Franklin, Broad Street, 50 crashes, Columbus

Franklin, High Street, 49 crashes, Columbus

Hamilton, Harrison Avenue, 48 crashes, Green Township

Ashtabula, State Route 534, 48 crashes, MP2-MP5

Franklin, Interstate 70, 47 crashes, MP100-MP105

Franklin, Interstate 71, 44 crashes, MP110-MP115

And I was looking for my photos of the OSHP motorcycles that were at our RoC2010. Gave up and grabbed this one from the web:

OSHP 2008 Harley-Davidson

rnpca4267-vi.jpg

http://images56.fotki.com/v774/photos/4/49373/202652/rnpca4267-vi.jpg

Edited by ReconRat

• 1 month later...

Bump.

Via: http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2011/04/10-things-car-drivers-should-know-about-motorcycles/

10 things car drivers should know about motorcycles

motorcycle-crash-599x404.jpgIn 2009, 5,474 people were killed on American roads due to distracted driving. Now, April has become National Distracted Driving Awareness Month. The MSF has put together a list of 10 things cagers need to know about driving around motorcycles. I hope you’re not reading this on your iPhone from the driver’s seat.

1. There are many more cars and trucks than motorcycles on the road and some drivers don’t “recognize” motorcyclists. They ignore them, usually unintentionally. Look for motorcycles, especially when checking traffic at an intersection.

2. A motorcyclist may look farther away than he or she is in actuality. It may also be difficult to judge a motorcycle’s speed. When checking traffic to turn at an intersection or into (or out of) a driveway, estimate that a motorcycle is closer than it looks.

3. A motorcycle can be easily hidden in a car’s blind spots or masked by objects or backgrounds outside the car. Thoroughly check traffic, whether you’re changing lanes or turning at intersections.

4. A motorcycle may seem to be moving faster than it really is. Again, don’t immediately rely on your perceptions.

5. Motorcyclists sometimes slow down by downshifting or merely rolling off the throttle, thus not activating the brake light. Don’t tailgate motorcyclists. At intersections, anticipate that motorcyclists may slow down without any visual warning.

6. Turn signals on a motorcycle are not often automatically self-canceling. Some riders, (especially beginners) sometimes forget to turn them off. Try to determine whether a motorcycle’s turn signal is for real. And if you’re driving a car, remember to use your turn signals too. They’re a great communication tool for riders and drivers when used properly.

7. Motorcyclists often adjust position within a lane to be seen more easily, to avoid road debris, and deal with passing vehicles and wind. Understand that motorcyclists often adjust lane position for a purpose, and it’s not an invitation for a car to share the lane with them.

8. Maneuverability can be one advantage for a motorcycle, but don’t expect that motorcyclist can always steer or swerve out of harm’s way. Please leave motorcyclists room on the road, wherever they are around you.

9. Stopping distance for motorcycles can be nearly the same or better than that of cars. But wet or slippery pavement can put motorcyclists at a disadvantage. Don’t violate a motorcyclist’s right of way, especially in bad conditions.

10. Don’t think of it as a motorcycle, a machine: Think of the rider; the person on board is someone’s son, daughter, spouse or parent. Unlike other motorists, protected by doors, roofs and airbags, motorcyclists have only their safety gear and are at greater risk from distracted drivers.

We’d like to add our own:

11. Put the fucking cellphone down and pay attention to the road. You’re operating a goddamn 2-ton murder machine, take some responsibility for your own actions for christ’s sake.

The MSF has released a website specifically for car drivers.

You make some great points.

The Feds are going with motorcycle checkpoints instead of using the money to educate drivers. we all need to take advantage of educating drivers about us. That's why you can get free Watch for Motorcylces bumper stickers at www.ohiomotorcyclegarage.com or just send me your mailing address. Tony