Recommend a first Buffer

hot_wire

As the title says, I'm looking into buying my first buffer. I drive a black car on a college campus, so it has accumulated plenty of paint imperfections.

Since there's serious reconditioning needed, I'm leaning toward a straight rotary rather than an orbital buffer. I understand that there is a severe learning curve to the rotary, so I am planning to pick up a scrap black body panel to practice on. Whatever the tool, it will be used for a range of heavy work (after sanding on marine patchwork) to extremely light buffing (removing swirls from black paint)

I'd like to spend less than $250 for the buffer, a variety of sufficient pads, and a handful of products. Is this possible? I know the $250 would barely cover the makita buffer that the pro's use, but can I still see good results with one like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Tool-Design-ATD-10511-Polisher/dp/B000M5ZXDM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1271623225&sr=8-3

Also, could you point me in the direction of a starter set of pads and products that will cover light/med/heavy abrasion?

Edited by hot_wire

A good friend of mine who makes his living painting cars taught me to do what you are looking to do with the DeWalt DW849. I am still nowhere as good as him, but I did manage to wetsand/buff a few cars and a boat since.

Also following his lead, I use 3M products. Finesse it, Perfect it, etc. You can read up on their website and decide what you need. http://solutions9.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Manufacturing/Industry/Product-Catalog/Online-Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQGLE0_nid=44MRXNVZH7beSQSFJR0R56gl

All local body shop supply stores will have the 3M stuff in stock.

Here is a link to a buffer on Ebay for cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DEWALT-DW849-CAR-BUFFER-NEWER-7-9_W0QQitemZ250614741857QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3a59cd7b61

Hopefully a pro will chime in here as this is not my specialty, but I had great results with the above mentioned products.

brian, thanks for the dewalt link. I didn't even think to look used. That will definitely save me some cash!

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7424XP-6-Inch-Variable-Polisher/dp/B002654I46

That one? Will it do enough "damage" to be worth my time?

Yes.... depending on the compounds used....

KillJoy

Yes.... depending on the compounds used....

KillJoy

Just getting my setup together - if I got the porter cable, would it be wise to follow Andy's advice in the thread before this?

GM paint is generally pretty hard so you might think about picking up some light cut wool while you're at it to make your life easier. Again Lake country has a great light cut wool pad (purple) that is fairly safe to use when compared to traditional twisted wool pads for heavy cutting...

.....Meguiars has a couple of new abrasives that cut really well and finish decent at the same time. M105 for heavy cut M205 for finishing work.

So, I would get the PC 7464, a range of Lake Country pads (including the light cut purple wool) and Meguiars M105 and M205.

Does this sound reasonable? Prices are looking lower than expected. Score.

For a first buffer there is no other than the PC 7424...might as well get the new XP model while you're at it as it has a little more power and ability.

As far as the purple wool pads they're a life saver and huge time saver for me...however they're best used on a rotary polisher not an orbitle. I've used them on my PC with mixed results in the past. No harm in trying as every car is a little different and they may work just fine on your car via a PC. Generally if I need the wool I'll have the rotary out anyhow. I wouldn't suggest a rotary as a first buffer though unless you've got a junk yard full of scrap parts and tons of time for practice before using it on your own personal car. Even then it's very hard to cleanly finish with no remaining holograms when using a rotary.

Andy

After the advice, I'll definitely go with a pc. Sounds like it will cut hard enough to fix my scuffs/scrapes while the orbital part will keep me from causing accidental damage.

I'm busy as fook lately but if you need any help after you get it feel free to call or PM me.

Andy