Commuters: Do you use a backpack or some kind of bike cargo?

Bkizz

I commute to work and school whenever the weather is nice enough. I've been trying to find the best option to carry stuff like my lunch, a binder, or an extra fleece for cold days. I used a cargo net on my last bike and it is a pain to mess with..plus they scuff paint. I don't need to carry that much...just a few things. I've looked at a few tail bags but to me, they just look goofy on the back of sportbikes. I feel like there has to be a better looking option. I also thought about a tank bag but I want to be able to take it with me when I leave the bike and I don't know how well that would work. Scuffing paint is also a concern.

I have been leaning toward finding a good backpack. This seems to be the best looking option but not necessarily the safest. I thought I would see what all of you use before I drop cash on anything. Fill me in, thanks!!

I use a backpack and a cargo net. They aren't the most pretty option, but I'll be damned if there is any cheaper solution than a cargo net. Stick a duffel bag you already own under it and you're good to go :D I've fit a ton of stuff under that thing that you normally wouldn't be able to transport on a bike, like the entire box my bike cover came in (huge box, probably 2'x18"x1') and the box I had to RMA my 360 in (even bigger than the cover's box)

For my suzuki gs 500 i use a magnetic tank bag with a cable lock through the bottom of the bag up through the top part and keep it locked around my triple tree. (I used an old rifle lock/ cable) I never had a problem after a year of riding at OSU. I should take some pics- its a very simple design yet very effective. if someone really wanted it they could either cut the lock or knife the bag- but it would be pointless for them.

when i rode to school id use my backpack. i also have a tank bag... that was more for stuff like my garage door opener, some change, maybe an extra visor... i could stuff a sweater in there if i thought it would be chilly or whatever.

i have the cheapest tank bag ever. its held on with magnets, and it has a strap made of nylon webbing and a plastic clip to hold it. anyone could get it off in 3 seconds...

i have had ZERO problems with it. no one has jacked it or even gone through it (as far as i can tell) and ive left my bike in some shady areas lol

i wouldnt leave anything in it that i couldnt live without... but ive got like 5 bucks in change in there... id think if someone got in theyd take that at least?

Damn, I leave this thread for one night and there are 3 pages already. I love this site. :D Yea, I have still been leaning toward a backpack...it just seems like the most versatile option and I wouldn't be tempting anyone to go through my shit when I park the bike. I've seen that Cortech ^ tail bag on other 650's and it looked really bulky.

I may have to run over to Iron pony and check out what they have. I've been leaning toward an actual motorcycle backpack that has a compartment for a helmet and some reflective material. Anyone suggest a good brand should check out??

I've used soft saddlebags for the last 15+ years on both standard and GT bikes. I've never carried a laptop but on those days when it starts out cold and is hot for the trip back home they can hold alot of clothes as well as a lunch box and other small equipment needed.