College Football - 2010

Dr. Pomade

The big12 could survive without fucking Nebraska and Colorado, I mean seriously who the fuck are those 2 schools anyways. Neither of them have ammounted to shit in the last 20 years or so except for a good year here or there.

Nebraska was absolutely dominant in the mid-1990s - just ask the Florida team that got annhilated in the Orange Bowl. IIRC, Nebraska won two national championships - and nearly won three - in a row during a stretch in the 1990s. I'd say that it wasn't just a "good year here or there" for them. So, stop saying stupid shit like this.

Granted, Colorado hasn't done much, though I think they shared a national championship with Notre Dame in or around 1990.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem I have with this all is the smaller sports get the shaft. Ie: a swim team from texas has to make the trip to washington for a singles meet weds nite and wouldn't get back til Friday. Then have a large event in cal Saturday, the travel aspect would be awful.

No one cares about the small sports except for the people who play them, the parents of people who play them, and the coaches of the small sports. Do you know why no one cares? Because they don't make any money. College football makes money. That's why, in the household of college sports, college football is the dad and calls the shots. College basketball is the mom - has some say, but not really all that much. All the rest of the sports are just annoying household kids - we have to tolerate them, but really they should just be seen and not really heard.

Nebraska was absolutely dominant in the mid-1990s - just ask the Florida team that got annhilated in the Orange Bowl. IIRC, Nebraska won two national championships - and nearly won three - in a row during a stretch in the 1990s. I'd say that it wasn't just a "good year here or there" for them. So, stop saying stupid shit like this.

Granted, Colorado hasn't done much, though I think they shared a national championship with Notre Dame in or around 1990.

No one cares about the small sports except for the people who play them, the parents of people who play them, and the coaches of the small sports. Do you know why no one cares? Because they don't make any money. College football makes money. That's why, in the household of college sports, college football is the dad and calls the shots. College basketball is the mom - has some say, but not really all that much. All the rest of the sports are just annoying household kids - we have to tolerate them, but really they should just be seen and not really heard.

already stated those facts, but thank you for breaking it down good sir, and if no one wanted to read the story I pasted, Nebraska is only 1 of 7 University's with over 800 wins in football their doing something right, I can't wait for them to play Ohio State, I want tickets NOW!!! :cool:

already stated those facts, but thank you for breaking it down good sir, and if no one wanted to read the story I pasted, Nebraska is only 1 of 7 University's with over 800 wins in football their doing something right, I can't wait for them to play Ohio State, I want tickets NOW!!! :cool:

Sorry, yeah, I'm basically repeating what you said, but I responded before thoroughly reading what you posted.

Texas A&M to the SEC is official according to several sources...wtf are they thinking lol. They couldn't win shit in the big12 let alone the SEC, big 12's down to 9...

I swear, I'm not picking you.

With that being said, why are you being so dumb? You make it seem as though an institution cares more about its win-loss record than it does the money it could make by changing conferences. Texas A&M - if they indeed go to the SEC - isn't doing it because they think they'll have a better chance of winning more football games. In fact, I'd fathom a guess (backed by a fairly large wager) that NO team bases their opinion to change conferences on the consideration of how many more or less games their football team will win.

Consider Rutgers - they'd kick a wheelbarrow full of puppies just to get into the Big 10. Upon doing so, do you think they'd win more or lose more games compared to the Big East? I'd say they'd lose more, and, when they lost, they would get hammered on a big stage. Imagine then getting clobbered the first time they play at Ohio Stadium - they'd likely get worked over in front of a very large television audience. Okay, knowing that, would Rutgers then say, "Hey, guys, thanks for the invite to join the Big 10, but we're going to pass, since we really won't win many games" or something like that? Nope - Rutgers would start kicking those puppies.

Texas A&M has a good relationship with the SEC, and in some respects that conference is a better fit for them. Also, they can make a ton of money being in the SEC since, well, the SEC has tons of money rolling in.

Just curious as to all this team jumping as when is it going to effect scheduling? This season????

Not sure about Colorado and the Pac10, but Nebraska would beginning playing Big 10 games in the 2011-2012 season. So, not this upcoming season, but the next.

I'm with you, though - how is this going to work? I guess it will depend on if the conference splits into divisions. Regardless, though, room will have to be made somewhere - do teams drop a conference game and add Nebraska? I need help here - who knows something about this? For instance, for OSU's schedule for 2011-2012, would we drop someone like Purdue or Michigan State (i.e., not someone we play every year, like Michigan or Penn State) and add Nebraska in their place?

Not sure about Colorado and the Pac10, but Nebraska would beginning playing Big 10 games in the 2011-2012 season. So, not this upcoming season, but the next.

I'm with you, though - how is this going to work? I guess it will depend on if the conference splits into divisions. Regardless, though, room will have to be made somewhere - do teams drop a conference game and add Nebraska? I need help here - who knows something about this? For instance, for OSU's schedule for 2011-2012, would we drop someone like Purdue or Michigan State (i.e., not someone we play every year, like Michigan or Penn State) and add Nebraska in their place?

I'm thinking "maybe" the NCAA might make the season 13-14 games long

Sorry, yeah, I'm basically repeating what you said, but I responded before thoroughly reading what you posted.

oops I forgot to quote this, but I just posted about how Nebraska IS a good program, and the other long post was about people saying USC is getting the book tossed at them and no other school has, but Miami went through it

Thats actually mostly correct, John. In the past, conference seasons have been shortened by one or two games. The Big Ten, because of the number of teams and the lack of divisions, doesn't require teams to play all the other teams in the conference, only 8 of them. Given that most likely (at this point) the two conferences will have 6 teams each, that would be 5 games per team. Add the conference chapionship, and you're at 6. More than likely you will see the other games shake out as "Inter-divisional" games with other conference foes. We will still have 3-4 non conference games per year.

Breaking news...

Texas and Oklahoma to STAY in the big 12.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5286672

since Nebraska, Texas A&M and Colorado left, Boise State, and TCU need to join the Big 12 if they wanna be taken seriously, and to make it 12 teams again get Houston to rejoin

Funny Joe Schaad of espn reported this morning that everyone was going to the pac10, 5hrs later he reports they are all staying. I guess no one will really know until the dust settles.

I'll eat crow and retract my statement about Nebraska, but it still stands true about Colorado.

DJ - thanks for the breakdown, homie. Makes complete sense to me. :cool:

Josh, yeah, I think it's funny how all the talking heads like Joe Schaad were saying how Texas et al were all but certain locks to join the Pac 10. You're right - you never really know until the dust settles.

So, I think the Big 12 remaining intact will do a TON for maintaining the status quo with respect to the conferences. In fact, everything now can pretty much carry on as is, and things won't be too dramatically different. However, a few thoughts:

- Mizzou has to be feeling weird. Here is seemed like they were going to get asked out by the Big 10 and at the last second the Big 10 - this really hot chick - decided that she only wanted to have sex with Nebraska and forego the threesome. Unfortunately, Mizzou broke up with his longtime girlfriend and was talking shit about how he was going bang this really hot broad. Oops...

- What about Notre Dame? I don't seem them joining the Big 10 - why would they? I wouldn't if I were in control of things.

Colorado isn't starting league play in the PAC-10 until 2012. Nebraska is going to have to pay something like $8 million in fines to conference schools in 2011 for leaving before the 2 year rolling contract is up.

It will take some time to get used to the Big Red in the Big Ten.

College football is built on tradition and long-term associations, and Nebraska always has been linked to Colorado, Oklahoma and others from the former Big 8. It'll feel odd to see the Huskers invade the Big House, The Horseshoe, State College and even Iowa City.

That's OK. Change isn't supposed to feel normal.

But give it time and you'll realize that these Huskers are a lot like you.

They love to run the football! They love walk-ons! They don't mind cold weather!

They boast loads of tradition in football -- Nebraska is the fourth winningest program of all time and owns five national titles -- complete with legendary coaches (Bob Devaney, Tom Osborne) and unforgettable players (Mike Rozier, Dave Rimington, Johnny Rodgers), just like your favorite teams. College football is everything to their fans, just like it is in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Iowa. Their fans live in the same area of the country and treasure the same values in both football and life as you do. Nebraska is an Association of American Universities member, just like the rest of the Big Ten.

I've never been to a game in Lincoln, but I can't wait to see one. You should be fired up, too.

Many folks went into this thinking only Notre Dame and Texas would add great value to the Big Ten. I'd like to direct you to Forbes' list of the most valuable college football teams. Texas and Notre Dame are Nos. 1 and 2, but Nebraska comes in at No. 4 with a team value of $93 million and a profit of $49 million. Nebraska is ahead of both Ohio State and Michigan in the rundown.

Need more evidence? Nebraska apparently was valuable enough to several Big 12 South schools to determine whether they stay in the league. Although Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman said Friday that one school leaving a conference doesn't break the conference (six schools leaving does), all eyes were on the Big Red.

"I [asked Big 12 presidents] 'What if Nebraska stayed and Missouri left?' Perlman said. "The response was that they would stay. I said, 'What happens if Nebraska stays and Colorado leaves,' and the response was they would stay. I said, 'What happens if both Missouri and Colorado leave and Nebraska stays?' And they could make no commitment that they would then stay in the Big 12." Given that the other shoe has dropped, we see that even the money men in the Big 12 agree that just having Nebraska leave the conference will cost them something like 10% of their revenue er year.

So Nebraska matters, people. And it will be a strong addition to the Big Ten.

Just think of the potential rivalries. Farmageddon between Iowa and Nebraska. The Barry Alvarez Invitational between Wisconsin and Nebraska. Put Nebraska against Penn State, Michigan or Ohio State, and TV execs will drool.

I don't like shaping divisions based on geography, but Nebraska certainly strengthens the western edge of the Big Ten. While I'd urge Jim Delany to break up the Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State bloc, a division with Nebraska, Wisconsin and Iowa looks pretty solid.

Notre Dame and Texas would be slam-dunk additions to the Big Ten, but both schools bring different types of baggage with them. Nebraska isn't a prima donna. And the Huskers really, really like the Big Ten.

You might shake your head in disbelief when Nebraska plays its first Big Ten Conference game in 2011. But before long, you'll nod and see that this makes too much sense.

• 1 month later...

- who are your favorites to contend for the national title this year?

OSU to win it, defense should be strong with so many returning players and offense should be more than capable if it goes into a shoutout

- what are your thoughts on the big out-of-conference games? Miami vs. OSU and Penn St. vs. Alabama loom large.

Bama should handle Penn St, Miami will be tough for OSU but special teams will make the difference

- what about Big 10 expansion? Will ND join? Should they? How about Nebraska and Missouri?

Nebraska already in, they might still try for ND and Mizzou because it would be 2 teams at this point but with the Big East not that great of a conference and all other ND sports already there, ND may try that conference and still fail

- does Boise State have a legitimate shot at the title this year?

Boise has a shot, but will stumble agaist Fresno St (odds are won't happen but if it does I called it first)

- is the SEC still the best conference?

with Bama, Florida, LSU and Arkansas (Mallet will throw for close to 4,000 ydsor more) they are still the best conf. Dooley will get atleast 7 wins at Tennesee and will be a factor again in a couple of years

That's my out look, and Rich-Rod will be fired if the team up north doesn't make or loses in a bowl game.

If special teams are going to be the difference in the OSU-Miami game then color me concerned. Our special teams were BAD last year. And this year we don't have a big leg for FG's (I trust Barclay inside of 40-45 but past that they might have to throw someone like RS sophomore Buchanan or true freshman Basil out there).

Also, check-in for fall camp is today. Shit's getting real.

I agree with almost everything here. I love Nebraska to the Big Ten. Much better than some other choices such as Rutgers. I also think it's make it or break it time for Rich Rod.

My biggest question is about Notre Dame. Brian Kelly is a great coach and did amazing things in a short time (relatively) at Cincy. With the prestige and recruiting power (yes, it still exists) at Notre Dame I think he'll turn them back around quick. I guess I'll have to wait and see though.

You ever tried returning punts? I did it 1 day in highschool practice as punishment...nothing like standing in the middle of the field, head looking in the air to catch a ball thats going this and that way, hearing 11 guys running at you full speed and knowing your likely gonna have your head taken off. Its not as easy as it appears, not to mention the glare of the sun often plays a roll in muffed punt returns. I don't think special teams will be very special this year for tOSU, so lets hope no game comes down to special teams in order for the Bucks to win