This would be nice

Spoolme

Senate Passes Bill Allowing Concealed Carry Of Guns In Restaurants

Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:30 PM

Updated: Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:02 PM

Print StoryE-mail StoryCOLUMBUS, Ohio — Guns could soon be on the menu in Ohio restaurants if a proposed law is approved.

Ohio Senate Bill 239 passed the senate on Thursday. If approved, it could lift restrictions, allowing those with concealed carry permits to bring guns into restaurants that serve liquor, 10TV's Lindsey Seavert reported.

Gun rights advocates said most Midwestern states already allow guns in restaurants, and that it is time for Ohio to follow suit.

The bill has raised some concerns, Seavert reported.

The Ohio Restaurant Association opposes the measure, and said guns in establishments serving alcohol pose a risk.

Stewart Miller, the general manager of brewery and restaurant Gordon Biersch said lawmakers should listen to concerns from the industry.

"It opens up a can of worms, just one more thing we have to manage," Miller said. "It might be something we have to incur extra labor and have somebody managing a busy Friday Saturday night an off duty policeman or a bouncer or something like that."

The Buckeye Firearm Association said the change is long overdue.

They said that those carrying guns would not be allowed to drink under the proposed law, and that restaurants would have the option to opt out of allowing patrons with guns.

"They can get a piece of tape and stick a sign on the door that says 'No guns' and they don't have to worry about it, just that simple," said spokesman Ken Hanson.

If it passes, Gov. Ted Strickland is expected to sign the measure into law, Seavert reported.

Watch 10TV News HD and refresh 10TV.com for continuing coverage.

lol. yeah THAT simple

"They can get a piece of tape and stick a sign on the door that says 'No guns' and they don't have to worry about it, just that simple," said spokesman Ken Hanson.

basically a green light to mix guns and booze, but its hard to say....Not sure how rowdy Applebees can get lol

lol. yeah THAT simple

basically a green light to mix guns and booze, but its hard to say....Not sure how rowdy Applebees can get lol

I see it as a convenience to those that carry in their daily routine. If I'm carrying and I want to have dinner at Applebee's I now have to leave my gun in my car and hope it doesn't get stolen (not likely, I know) instead of just keeping it on my person. More often than not when I'm carrying I'll just avoid places where it's not allowed. This might actually help bring in more customers.

Again, it seems most people against it seem to forget that CCW holders are not crazed lunatics just waiting for a chance to plant one in you. If I'm not drinking and just want to have soup & salad I don't see where I pose a threat to anyone else. How many people do you think are carrying illegaly (non-ccw holders) in any given establishment as it is? Those are the ones we need to be worried about. I always get the feeling that those against this tend to group anyone carrying a firearm in the same pack, legally or illegally, and I don't think that's fair. [Edit: I'm not saying that's necessarily your stance on it, but I do think alot of people look at it like that.]

Also, if a business wishes to post a proper "no guns" sign (which I believe they can even print out for free) then I'm not allowed to carry in there at all. Sounds that simple to me.

Here's one:

http://www.allencountyohio.com/pubdownload/CCW%20SIGN.pdf

I agree this is long over due... And it's more for the restaurants like Applebee's, TGI Fridays, or pretty much every restaurant that serves booze.

Post a sign if you don't want carry in your restaurant.... then I know to avoid it.

I agree this is long over due... And it's more for the restaurants like Applebee's, TGI Fridays, or pretty much every restaurant that serves booze.

Post a sign if you don't want carry in your restaurant.... then I know to avoid it.

+1. Disarming because you want to grab a bite is bullshit. If a place posts the "no guns" signs, I'll just go somewhere else.

I see it as a convenience to those that carry in their daily routine. If I'm carrying and I want to have dinner at Applebee's I now have to leave my gun in my car and hope it doesn't get stolen (not likely, I know) instead of just keeping it on my person. More often than not when I'm carrying I'll just avoid places where it's not allowed. This might actually help bring in more customers.

Again, it seems most people against it seem to forget that CCW holders are not crazed lunatics just waiting for a chance to plant one in you. If I'm not drinking and just want to have soup & salad I don't see where I pose a threat to anyone else. How many people do you think are carrying illegaly (non-ccw holders) in any given establishment as it is? Those are the ones we need to be worried about. I always get the feeling that those against this tend to group anyone carrying a firearm in the same pack, legally or illegally, and I don't think that's fair. [Edit: I'm not saying that's necessarily your stance on it, but I do think alot of people look at it like that.]

My first thought is, how often do you really need to carry a firearm and do you really need one to eat dinner at Bob Evans? I mean, maybe they'd be more inclined to get my order right the first time if they think I'm carrying. Or maybe, I may need it in case that 'thug' over there decides to finish up his strawberry and creme crepes and then come and take my pancakes. You never know. I get it, now. I understand. ;)

Honestly, I just don't understand it. I've lived in way worse areas than many people on here, for sure, but I've never felt the need to carry a firearm everywhere I go. I just don't feel that threatened or frightened. However, I will say that it IS THE RIGHT OF A RESPONSIBLE ADULT.

thats all very true. Im definately for CC in restaurants, and there are always what ifs. Hopefully people can respect it, but we all see how stupid people are out there lol.

Just seems a little easier to mix guns, booze, and families lol

My first thought is, how often do you really need to carry a firearm and do you really need one to eat dinner at Bob Evans? I mean, maybe they'd be more inclined to get my order right the first time if they think I'm carrying. Or maybe, I may need it in case that 'thug' over there decides to finish up his strawberry and creme crepes and then come and take my pancakes. You never know. I get it, now. I understand. ;)

Honestly, I just don't understand it. I've lived in way worse areas than many people on here, for sure, but I've never felt the need to carry a firearm everywhere I go. I just don't feel that threatened or frightened. However, I will say that it IS THE RIGHT OF A RESPONSIBLE ADULT.

Ive never had the feeling that I needed to CCW anywhere. I guess Im not scared of society.

http://gadgetsteria.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/implied-facepalm.jpg

thats all very true. Im definately for CC in restaurants, and there are always what ifs. Hopefully people can respect it, but we all see how stupid people are out there lol.

Just seems a little easier to mix guns, booze, and families lol

It might seem that way, but it's really not. Again, this goes back to the whole, if you're intent on breaking the one law, then do you really give a shit about another?

It might seem that way, but it's really not. Again, this goes back to the whole, if you're intent on breaking the one law, then do you really give a shit about another?

Exactly. The guys that are already out there carrying illegal don't care about the law or whatever signs you put up in your restaurant. It only affects those that are interested in being legal, which shouldn't pose a threat to you.

It's not so much that I think "some ill shit might pop off up in this Wendy's yo" as much as being prepared. Particularly for my trip in and out of that Wendy's more than my stay. For instance I have been approached many time going in/out of such establishments by people asking for money because obviously I was just in there spending money, so sure I have some (no biggie, I just say no). Sometimes I've even had lame attempts to feel out how good of a victim I'd make - i.e. "Hey man I've got some tools over here in my car (in the alley) I'm selling cheap, check it out". Every time I have just walked right out of the situation without issue but it's a reminder to me that there are people that have only their best interests in mind and will do anything to get it. Okay, maybe this dude is just selling some (likely stolen) tools, but maybe his intentions were worse. If you happen to get into a situation accidentally or by being targeted you just might find yourself in harms way. It's not just that shit can happen. Shit does happen and it could happen to you, me, anyone.

Is that being too skeptical of society, maybe? But I wouldn't say I'm afraid of it. I don't sit at home and hide from the scary outsiders, but I prefer to take things on proactively rather than reactively. If I ever do find myself in the role of victim I'd like to be as prepared as possible to fight back if violence escalates. I think we can do that without falling into the classification of being afraid.

lol. yeah THAT simple

Most alcohol serving restaurants (including appelbee's) have a very low cut-off of drinks served per guest. I think applebee's is 2 per hour. So getting drunk and carrying isnt really an issue in places like this, and mind you this does NOT give the green like to mix guns and alcohol. Its still illegal to consume while your carrying which i am fully supportive of.

"It opens up a can of worms, just one more thing we have to manage," Miller said. "It might be something we have to incur extra labor and have somebody managing a busy Friday Saturday night an off duty policeman or a bouncer or something like that."

This is the lamest excuse ive ever heard a lobbyist make. Grasping at straws anyone? So now you have to hire an off duty officer to watch the law-abiding people who are eating dinner b/c they MIGHT have a concealed carry license?

This is the lamest excuse ive ever heard a lobbyist make. Grasping at straws anyone? So now you have to hire an off duty officer to watch the law-abiding people who are eating dinner b/c they MIGHT have a concealed carry license?

It's just ignorance. All they hear is "oh now there will people bringing guns in here", though it's likely already happening on the regular illegally by the people you should already be concerned about. Now they "need" to hire law enforcement to babysit those who have already been checked and cleared by the State? I don't get how that makes sense to anyone either.

These are probably the same people that use the term "Gun Violence". You know, every time I take one of my guns out its case it generally runs amok through town being violent and snapping at my neighbors. Violence has nothing to do with people being violent, just the guns. When they take all the guns away because they're scary we'll have a knife violence epidemic, followed by the spoon violence spree of 2019.

WOW! I'm speachless!

Let me fix this. I have no problem with people CCW do as you wish. I am just amused that people actually put time and thought into figuring a way to carry everywhere they go.

Whens the lst time any of you every had th need to pull a gun for protection at a grocery store, or at the movies, or at a restraunt. The list goes on.

Im glad the first thing I dont think about is wheres my pistol I need to feel safe.

Let me fix this. I have no problem with people CCW do as you wish. I am just amused that people actually put time and thought into figuring a way to carry everywhere they go.

Whens the lst time any of you every had th need to pull a gun for protection at a grocery store, or at the movies, or at a restraunt. The list goes on.

Im glad the first thing I dont think about is wheres my pistol I need to feel safe.

I agree. I just hop on my bike and go. I mean, why do I need to tuck a gun in my wasteband to grab a quick bite to eat?

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/attachments/kawasaki-cruisers/26430d1235085423-concealed-carry-new-bike.jpg

Whens the lst time any of you every had th need to pull a gun for protection at a grocery store, or at the movies, or at a restraunt.

Never, thankfully. I hope I never do.

But it does happen. Daily. Reliance upon the police, my own verbal skills or fighting skills may not always be the right amount of force at the right time. I prefer to be able to depend on myself for protection in a pinch than hope that shit always works out in the end. People lose that battle all the time. Again maybe I'm overly cynical, but I don't really feel that's an unrealistic view. I don't think that even most religious people believe that they can't be a randomly selected victim the same as the next guy, whether they believe in God, Allah or Unicorns. You don't always have to be looking for trouble for it to find you.

This doesn't mean I think I can walk the streets crackin' skulls and fighting crime just because I can turn the violence up to 11. That is someone else's job. It simply means that if I'm met with that level of violence and have no other recourse I'm properly equipped. I would say that *most* of the CCW holders I know feel the same.

Additionaly, I was among some of the first in this state to get a license when it became legal mostly just to support the right to get one. One of the many tactics used to shoot it down in the beginning was the claim that not many would even bother going through the checks and balances required. We as a state proved them very wrong by enrolling by the thousands over the years. I'd wager that at least a few would-be lowlifes are a little turned off by those statistics. I would be.

It's not so much that I think "some ill shit might pop off up in this Wendy's yo" as much as being prepared. Particularly for my trip in and out of that Wendy's more than my stay. For instance I have been approached many time going in/out of such establishments by people asking for money because obviously I was just in there spending money, so sure I have some (no biggie, I just say no). Sometimes I've even had lame attempts to feel out how good of a victim I'd make - i.e. "Hey man I've got some tools over here in my car (in the alley) I'm selling cheap, check it out". Every time I have just walked right out of the situation without issue but it's a reminder to me that there are people that have only their best interests in mind and will do anything to get it. Okay, maybe this dude is just selling some (likely stolen) tools, but maybe his intentions were worse. If you happen to get into a situation accidentally or by being targeted you just might find yourself in harms way. It's not just that shit can happen. Shit does happen and it could happen to you, me, anyone.

Is that being too skeptical of society, maybe? But I wouldn't say I'm afraid of it. I don't sit at home and hide from the scary outsiders, but I prefer to take things on proactively rather than reactively. If I ever do find myself in the role of victim I'd like to be as prepared as possible to fight back if violence escalates. I think we can do that without falling into the classification of being afraid.

How about just 'worried', then? ;)

But seriously, though, it truly is a matter of perspective. For me, feeling the need to carry everywhere "in the event of..." ranks up there with I might as well wear bulletproof vest while I'm at it. Or, have a bio/chemical mask always at the ready. For me, CCW for everywhere begins the slippery slope for me. Now, there may be things I do that others may view as paranoid, etc. We all have our things. As I said, all a matter of perspective and I CAN AND DO respect the fact if a responsible adult wants to do so, then by all means. However, I know too many people who are licensed and behave a little too trigger happy or little too paranoid, and paranoia, fear, etc can worsen a situation very, very quickly.

It's about time...

Again, this goes back to the whole, if you're intent on breaking the one law, then do you really give a shit about another?

Exactly. How do these people not understand this simple concept?

We (CHL holders) go through the trouble and $$$ to be able to carry legally. Do they really think we'd risk that by doing something illegal to lose this right? People who are going to carry illegally are going to do so wherever they want b/c it doesn't matter to them. It doesn't matter if it's at a bar, restaurant, etc.

How about just 'worried', then? ;)

But seriously, though, it truly is a matter of perspective. For me, feeling the need to carry everywhere "in the event of..." ranks up there with I might as well wear bulletproof vest while I'm at it. Or, have a bio/chemical mask always at the ready. For me, CCW for everywhere begins the slippery slope for me. Now, there may be things I do that others may view as paranoid, etc. We all have our things. As I said, all a matter of perspective and I CAN AND DO respect the fact if a responsible adult wants to do so, then by all means. However, I know too many people who are licensed and behave a little too trigger happy or little too paranoid, and paranoia, fear, etc can worsen a situation very, very quickly.

Point taken. We each do what's right for us. As usual I don't take my own advice and carry very infrequently these days. Hopefully I never regret that choice. Also, I'm sure there are some people out there that are a little too itchy to use their "last resort" before it's truly necessary. Let's hope those people weed themselves out of the system before they do something to make the rest of us look bad.

Also to me this bill isn't because we as CCW holders feel a need to carry at Applebee's as much as the feeling that there's no need to make it cumbersome for those of us that carry to go there and eat (not get hammered and wave a gun around). I think it's a good move for the sake of CCW holders and most of all the business owners, whether they actually appreciate that or not. This will likely translate into more paying customers for them, and in today's economy they could probably use it instead of pissing it away on ignorantly being scared of CCW holders. If they still want to alienate us they can put up the sign. Sounds like a win win to me.

surprisingly not too long ago, my wife and I went to a CBJ game, and where we parked at was across the rail road tracks... 3 guys had us blocked from going towards the public, and the train had us blocked the other direction.... luckily we didn't have a confrontation but I can tell you that we were both worried and the fact that I can defend myself and have a blackbelt doesn't mean squat when you are outnumbered by that many people.... especially when I have to also ensure the safety of my wife....

there is no equalizer like me having a firearm.

so just out of curiousity, do you think all those people who have been mugged or murdered expected it to happen to them that day? no of course they didnt. i would rather be safe than sorry. you never know when you could become the next victim.

Ive never had the feeling that I needed to CCW anywhere. I guess Im not scared of society.

I respect your opinion but... arent, or weren't you at one point in time, a parol officer? If so im sure you saw/met first hand the 'bad guys' who commit such intentional acts whether premeditated or not.

I got my license when Obama took office and everyone was afraid he'd somehow revoke the right to conceal and carry a firearm, so my mindset was no better time than now. It irritates me i work in one of the worst areas of the city yet cant carry there b/c of my employer's rules on firearms on their property (which is their right i understand that) but the one time im probably MOST at risk is the one time i know i wont be carrying.