Good First Handgun?

wagner

I am thinking about getting into firearms and maybe a hand gun. What are some good places to do research and get ideas besides google?

I am looking for stuff in the 9mm, .40, or .45 range in that order. I also want something that I can take to the range or use a carry weapon if I go that route.

Be gentle I am a gun noob :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to a gun range, rent different guns in different calibers. Repeat until you find the right one you like.

Remember, opinions are just like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

So much truth there lol.

I do plan on going out and trying some different guns and calibers here soon. What are some good websites to do research on and compare?

I LOVE 1911's but price is what might put those out of my range.

So much truth there lol.

I do plan on going out and trying some different guns and calibers here soon. What are some good websites to do research on and compare?

Glocktalk, AR15.com, I think there is also Firing line if I'm not mistaken. I take some of those opinions with a grain of salt personally, like anything else. One person will praise Brand "X", where as another will bash Brand "X" and tell you Brand "Y" is better. Depending on your hand size, some handguns will be more ergonomic. I know BWSC and NASR both have a good selection of rental firearms to try out.

-Side note: Something I found cool from Sig Sauer, the P250 with the compact/full size frame package.

http://www.policemag.com/_Images/articles/M_Arsenal_10.jpg

Get the best of both worlds.

So much truth there lol.

You can get a Springfield A1 GI 1911 for 499.00. I have one and love it.

1911 is a fucking sweet ass pistol... with that being said, why not get something cheaper if you're looking to go to the range... I love my hipoint.... you can get yourself a highpoint 40 or 45 or 9 for 150'ish, then get yourself a LCP for CCW. just my opinion....

Glocks are very simple and easy to maintain and shoot but if you're going to carry, you need a compact... hell my LCP is tiny and it still at times gets a bit annoying, I couldn't imagine carrying anything bigger.

Go to a gun range, rent different guns in different calibers. Repeat until you find the right one you like.

Remember, opinions are just like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

quote fail, but close

"opinions are like assholes. everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks"

my vote is for M&P compact. i love mine in 9mm

Hasnt this question been posted before? alot?

With $500-$600 you have alot of options and honestly almost all of the names available are reputable brands (except hipoint, sorry smokin5s). While i love my Glock 26 (subcompact 9mm) i HATED the glock 17 and loved the M&P fullsize 9. Its all in what you prefer and what feels best. No one here can tell you wear to spend your money definitively.

Have I read this before....

lol i dunno . . . have you :D

let me get settled in the house a bit and we will have a couple people out on a weekend to pistol shoot. Then sit by a fire and just shoot the shit on what you want to spend your money on over some beers. :)

For a noob I'd definitely agree with the recommendation of going to the range and handling a few to see what you like ergonomically, then rent a few to narrow it further to what you like to shoot or potentially carry.

Also while I'm definitely a 1911 guy, I don't think I would recommend jumping into a single-action as a first handgun. Particularly if you plan to carry it soon. I feel it takes a little more familiarity to safely handle a SA.