New 'Deltawing' IndyCar design

Zeppelin

Ran across this during the first cup o' coffee this morning. Interesting stuff if it materializes.

"DeltaWing LLC, of Indianapolis, introduced the future of open wheel racing today at the Chicago Auto Show, aimed at realigning America’s premiere racing tradition with current automobile industry and consumer trends. DeltaWing calls on technological innovation to return racing to cutting edge relevance in the search for extreme performance with less environmental and financial resources."

"DeltaWing anticipates the final car will weigh a remarkable 50 percent less than the current generation IndyCar and crucially, generate only half of the aerodynamic drag. This combination requires substantially less horsepower to generate speeds of over 235 miles per hour while delivering a 100% improvement in fuel efficiency."

http://www.zeppelinsreef.com/images/deltawing-indycar-concept.jpg

"As we design the DeltaWing prototype, safety, efficiency, value and cost are our main priorities; the goal is that more teams and drivers will have the opportunity to compete in the IZOD IndyCar series. At this point we anticipate a complete car with engine will sell for $600,000.”

Key Specifications (estimated)

Weight with driver: 1,030 lbs.

Horsepower: 300 BHP

Wheel base: 125 inches

Front track: 24 inches

Rear track: 70 inches

Aerodynamic drag: Cd 0.24

Key Technical features

-- Engine and transmission are “non-stressed members” of the chassis structural design which allows teams to install a wide variety of lightweight powertrains

-- The prototype will feature a 4 cylinder turbo charged engine that will produce approximately 300 horsepower at 7,000 rpm and weigh only 160lbs fully dressed

-- Engine capacity, RPM and configuration freedoms are anticipated given only that the rate of fuel delivery to the engine will be controlled by a specially developed fuel flow rate control unit

-- Vehicle weight distribution is necessarily more rearward than traditionally seen with 72.5% of the mass on the larger rear tires

-- 80% of the aerodynamic downforce acts on the rear of the car

-- Inline traction under acceleration through the rear tires is greatly enhanced by rearward weight and aerodynamic distributions

Unique amongst today’s racing cars 60% of braking force is generated behind the center of gravity giving a dynamically stable response

Locking propensity of the inside front wheel on corner entry is greatly reduced

Transmission features 6 speed oval and 5 speed plus reverse road track configurations with sequential paddle shift actuation

Differential features full torque vectoring active technology with driver control of gain for balance adjustment. “Active stagger” removes the expensive necessity for staggered rear tire diameters for ovals

Advanced computer modeling of structures, impact energy management, aerodynamics, vehicle dynamics and tires has been used to develop the virtual DeltaWing car

The car’s performance has been simulated on each configuration of race track encountered during the IZOD IndyCar Series Championship

Modern advanced materials and CNC construction techniques applied to achieve gains in light weight structures and occupant safety

Driver position, restraint layout and energy absorbency facility designed with the latest data on survival criteria

More pics and info here:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/2010/top-2010-DeltaWing-IndyCar-Concept.htm

and here:

http://deltawingracing.com/

"We here at Deltawing LLC have created the future of Indy racing. Americans can't understand the concept of turning corners in a race. So to that end we have created this new prototype. Capable of only 2 degrees of steering angle and with the machanical grip of a dog on a tile floor, this is JUST what the American race fans want! We envision these cars rocketing around Superovals and causing massive crashes as they understeer to the outside walls and then slide back down through the rest of the pack. With our new design, Indy will finally reach NASCAR's viewership levels."

This design is an abortion. Look at how skinny those front tires are. It embarrasses me to think that an Ameriican company believes this is a good design. I can only dream the Impossible Dream that when F1 comes to Texas it makes people realize that oval racing is essentially just racing in a straight line and is utterly boring.

so they want indy to adopt the design so they can kill valuable drivers, causing the teams and owners lots of money? They think teams will be thrilled with this dont they? lol

That was my first thought...if that thing got T-boned, there just is no way the driver is going to survive. There simply isn't enough structure to absorb the energy of that kind of crash.

For some reason, that design looks more like a straight track monster dragster than a tight cornering Indy car...

Agreed.

Oh, how in the fuck is that layout (look at the front and rear track) supposed to be stable? :confused:

Aerodynamics and a huge amount of the weight on the rear.

Nice Ride BRUH

lol @ pics. Which reminds me of this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Jo7lJoQhtjw/Sc0tjw-kSRI/AAAAAAAAEvk/JFn-2Zg9Qgo/s400/penis+car+family+guy+WQ.jpg

Even better: (Best vid quality I could find quickly.)

I'm not so sure we'd see such a drastic design change in reality. Be interesting to see how it'd perform.

Aerodynamics and a huge amount of the weight on the rear.

With all the weight and downforce on the rear, plus the narrow track and thin front tires, they have done EVERYTHING to ensure it will understeer as much as possible. Yes, it will be stable, but it will be TOO stable.

Also, if you think about it, with all that downforce at the rear of the car, the turbulence behind it will be enormous. Since a following car will have no downforce at the front, we'll likely see cars flipping, ala the 90's Mercedes CLRs at Le Mans..

I'm not so sure we'd see such a drastic design change in reality. Be interesting to see how it'd perform.

Hopefully someone who ACTUALLY has knowledge of how cars work will smack some of these desk jockeys around.

With all the weight and downforce on the rear, plus the narrow track and thin front tires, they have done EVERYTHING to ensure it will understeer as much as possible. Yes, it will be stable, but it will be TOO stable.

Also, if you think about it, with all that downforce at the rear of the car, the turbulence behind it will be enormous. Since a following car will have no downforce at the front, we'll likely see cars flipping, ala the 90's Mercedes CLRs at Le Mans..

Hopefully someone who ACTUALLY has knowledge of how cars work will smack some of these desk jockeys around.

The other companies that showed design concepts to the IRL were much more traditional.

Let me explain a little better since your ego is giving your comprehension a narrow mind. I'm interested in how it would perform because of what seems like the obvious issues with it. I'm always interested in seeing someone prove something I'm not so sure I believe. Otherwise, why would I want to see it? Here, I'll help you a little more with an analogy since I'd hate to have you "slap me around". (What a fuckstick.:rolleyes:) I may see a hill I don't believe a truck can make it up. No way, I think. But I'm damn sure interested in seeing the guy try! I've seen many things in my years that I thought would fail and didn't, and even more that did. Next time, try opening your mind to different perspectives instead of being an asshole, first. Or, just shut up if you can't take the time to say something constructive.