Air conditioning.... WTF??

SRTurbo04

ahhhhhh!!!!! this is more of a rant/ are you serious thread....

so right before I went on vacation or air conditioning went out… had someone come out changed a few parts an instantly blew the new parts. guy said the outside unit is toast( come to find out its 17 years old oops)

soo fast forward two weeks later of HOTTTTT HOTTT weather we finally get an estimate from them for 3800 for the outside unit alone.. an 5800 for the outside an inside units .

HOLY BALLS does this sound like a normal price to anyone, or are they just taking us up the butt?

I'm about to call garret@ air quest an get a quote (only reason I didn’t before was this is the people that serviced it last time it had an issue)

That's way fucking high IMO. I'll check with my neighbor who fixed mine. He works for a major player here locally but does side jobs all the time. A full HVAC system that will work for our 2,800 sq ft home would normally sell for a little over $10k. I can get the exact same system from him, installed in one day for just over $4,600. Everything. Furnace and AC.

That's way fucking high IMO. I'll check with my neighbor who fixed mine. He works for a major player here locally but does side jobs all the time. A full HVAC system that will work for our 2,800 sq ft home would normally sell for a little over $10k. I can get the exact same system from him, installed in one day for just over $4,600. Everything. Furnace and AC.

LOL Tim, your post doesn't make sense. He's saying he can get a complete system for $5800, where as you said it'd run over $10k normally, but you can get a hookup on pricing to get it for $4600, only $1200 higher than the OP's non-hookup price and $4200 cheaper than your normal price.

How is that "way fucking high IMO" ? lol

LOL Tim, your post doesn't make sense. He's saying he can get a complete system for $5800, where as you said it'd run over $10k normally, but you can get a hookup on pricing to get it for $4600, only $1200 higher than the OP's non-hookup price and $4200 cheaper than your normal price.

How is that "way fucking high IMO" ? lol

The $4,600 is for a New Furnace and AC System, install and all parts for a system that meets the needs of my home. He's installed 4 of this same system at homes on our street. Another neighbor used his company but not him on the side and paid over $10k. I know this because he looked up what they paid. Our home is now 22yrs old and everything is original. I'm not ready to replace it all, but I know where I'm going to go when I do.

Paul, if you want him to quote you on an AC system or for that matter, just come take a look at it, then let me know.

Yep. You do the install...Have someone else finish up the copper work and charge the system.

According to the tech who just replaced the outside unit at my apartment, the compressor/condenser units come pre-charged now. New refrigerants are a LOT more sensitive to overcharging than the old ones were, it seems.

That sounds WAY high.

My house is almost 3300sq/ft + a large basement. We put in a new 5-ton heat pump (which is more expensive than just an A/C unit), plus all lines and condensor had to be replaced as well, and filled with Puron. All done for $3200 installed, after tax. That's also for the best unit Carrier sells.

$3800 for just an A/C unit for a home I am guessing is smaller than mine, is highway robbery, no other word for it.