Ouch Apple, step up, do what is right.

SpaceGhost

You will, it mutes the phone or tries to start a facetime call or turns on the speaker. The sensor doesn't turn off the screen as well as the other phones did. It is a pretty important sensor for a touch screen phone. Shit needs fixed ASAP. Like Jordan said above, you don't want the phone to turn on speaker when your old lady is tearing you a new asshole for not taking out the trash in front of your buddies. :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but I was not going to buy a $29 rubber band so that I would not drop call as much. Also I find it interensting that Apple has never made a case for it's phones, but in the release of this phone, apple has it's own "bumper" to cover the antenna ready to go at launch. Jobs said the bloomburg report was "bullshit" or a "crock". I think that is a bold face lie. They had to know the antenna was an issue, why else make the "bumper"? They never made a case for any other iPhone.

Interesting observation.

Kind of like this new "formula" they are using for diplaying the bars. They spread it out, which is good, but they also made the lowest bar display at a lower dBm. So where an android or 4.0 and prior iphone will show no bars, it will now display 1 bar.

I've been messing around here with twistedfocus' iphone 4 and my nexus, and heres how i feel about the whole deal. Yes, they put the antenna in the wrong location. The bottom left isnt the only wrong location, anywhere on the outside of the phone i think is the wrong location, especially with these types of phones where you will be holding them in landscape or portrait mode. How it made it through testing I dont know, and thats the biggest screw up apple did, along with denying that there is a problem and that people need to hold it differently.

My phone will drop ~25dbm when I cover up the antenna, which is about the same what the iphone does. Only difference is I have to do a lot more than just touch it.

All I know is... Eminem needs to be on the fucking phone with the Band-Aid people right now or he's missing the boat.

Shouldn't he of said Nelly?

http://blogs.bet.com/entertainment/spotlight/bet-blog/assets/2009/12/nelly-crop1.jpg

For those that care... Here's my experience so far with the latest update.

I updated to 4.0.1. Chris and I were looking at their new signal vs. displayed bars graph earlier and we were wondering if it would make it appear to have signal when you couldn't actually make a call because it now goes lower in the spectrum than others. That would be pretty lame.

Well, if I deathgrip the shit out of it I only drop to 1 bar instead of none. Sounds cool, except I can't actually make any calls with my supposedly present (albeit weak) signal. As always, if I shift back to my normal non-retarded hold it's fine. I do notice that by Steve Jobs' "new math" I now only have 4 bars most places instead of 5.

Again I don't normally have any issues, but if you are affected by the deathgrip issue don't get your hopes up about this update curing it as some may have, though Apple clearly says it changes nothing with actual signal reception. Better stick to Band-Aids for now. I'm not stuck on Band-Aids, though Band-Aid's stuck on me.

I want the i4 so much, but not till they fix this shit... and I will wait another 6 months for a upgrade.

It never hurts to wait it out. If you're going to wait 6 months, you might as well wait until June 2011... there will almost certainly be a newer, better, stronger version.

I have to say, I still love the phone.

I really don't typically have any of the "horrible issues" that I read about on the net outside of a few accidental button presses from what appears to be an overly sensitive proximity sensor. I assume that's a fairly easy software fix. Not to sound like a fanboy, because I'm most certainly not an Apple guy. I want a phone that works for me and this does it 101%. I may have considered the Samsung Galaxy S that's about to drop for AT&T, but really I have no reason to fault the iPhone for my needs or even AT&T for that matter who is supposedly so "bad". Truth be told, I don't like carrying the phone without a case anyway and the only reason I haven't bought one already is that none of the ones i like were in stock yet. I look forward to next year to see if the Android phones will continue to "bring It!", and if they do I may eventually make the switch off of the Apple platform. Time will tell.

I want to see who really "Wows" me... I look forward to where the competition between the 2 major platforms is going.

He is for now, but I bet the rumor is true about them fixing the antenna in the phones, that is why the delivery time has sliped back to 3 weeks. Couple that with the launch of it in 17 other countries, it's gonna be pretty hard to get an iPhone 4 for a while.

I'm sure they are fixing the issues in phones they are currently producing, but that doesn't help the ones that are already out there. The existing customers that may feel like they are getting the shaft on something that is defective, and may not return to apple for their next high end phone purchase, or next mp3 player purchase, or next computer purchase. At this point if they don't bend over backwards they stand to lose a lot of sales. The short term cost is worth spending to save the long term brand appeal, but it sounds like they are banking on it not being a big deal and that their customer base is loyal no matter what. That's not a good stance to take, and I hope if they continue this path that it bites them in the ass.