2wd vs. 4x4 truck

dover

What are the pro's and con's to the two, other than the obvious for traction and what not. Reason I ask is I see a huge price difference in the trucks/suv's im looking at between 2wd and 4x4 trucks.

What I will be doing:

Towing a car trailer

Towing an enclosed bike trailer

Driving maybe 100 miles a month

I am most likely going to end up stationed in Georgia too so snow (which happens there but not to the great lengths of ohio) is not that big of a deal. Would it benefit me to save a few bucks and pick up a 2wd or will I end up regretting the shit out of it.

Thank you truck/suv gurus.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt worry based on what you described and would be fine with the 2wd. 4x4 is great if you need traction in places where 2wd possibly isnt enough such as offroad and you start slipping. the extra traction is handy. In snow its always best to have as much traction as possible especially with a truck with weight distribution and no rear weight. 4x4 is more parts to break.

4x4 = more expensive to purchase, more things to break, more fuel consumed, etc. If you don't really need it, I wouldn't buy it. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have around here for the winter, but certainly not a necessity. I definitely wouldn't buy one for the situation you described.

4x4 = more expensive to purchase, more things to break, more fuel consumed, etc.

Exactly why I got my 2wd. Fact is 90% of the people that have 4x4 trucks get them just so they have the badge on their tailgate, the most off roading they do is parking in the grass at the fair.

I have driven 2wd trucks in the winter for years now and it doesn't bother me at all, specially if its a full size truck.

are you looking at cheap beater work trucks or a newer truck??? Old trucks if 4wd good chance the transfer case could crap out on you and then its only 2wd anyway and will cost about half the price of the truck to fix.

a nice 2wd with the tow package (trans/oil cooler ect) should more than suffice for what / where youll be IMO.

And if kept up well, trucks in general seem to hold thier value well. Obviously a 4wd just a tad more, but theyre also more expensive in the beginning

wouldnt be caught dead driving 2wd. you buy a truck for a reason, thats for complete capability.

His reason is for towing and driving only 100 miles a month not off roading. I would get the 2wd. Even in 2wd on a 4x4 you get worse mileage. You have more parts to haul around in the transfer case, more gears spinning and more stuff to break. Slap some snow tires on there for the winter and you will be fine. I would say that 95% of the time I drove my truck I did not need 4x4. I only used it the first day it snowed before they would plow or backing a trailer into a tight spot (4x4 low).

If you have a boat, I would get the 4x4 for the boat ramps, other then that 2wd is fine.

If you're only driving 100miles a month it's not going to matter what the fuel economy is. You will fill eaither one up once a month.

But I would say 4x4. Easier to sell, you can come back yo Ohio in the winter and not worry if the roads are shitty. If your down in Georgia what happens if you get a boat. Ever see a 2wd truck spin out on the ramp because moss? Isn't there sand dunes in Florida? Can't take a 2wd there and have any fun.

And overall depending on the truck You will pay $2-4k more and its worth it.

Guest tbutera2112

i got my 2wd f150 stuck on a damn pile of leaves when i parked in the grass outside of Quicksand....fuck that.

you wont use the 4x4 often, but it will hold value, and it will be there in case you do end up needing it

and with the people you hang around with, i wouldnt be surprised to see on the water eventually, and then you would want the 4x4 for the boat ramps

2wds have a higher towing rating 300-500lbs, because of no front differentials/driveshafts/extra.

I would get a 2wd "truck" any day of the week, even living in Ohio because seriously there is only a handful of times in the winter that you need it. (Boat docks is a different story)

Now if it were a suv a would get a 4wd regardless, not too many people buy 2wd tahoes/suburbans.

4wd FTW. If you're going to tow anything you can't move around by hand (you said car trailer) then 4wd or fail. You would be amazed at how easily a 2wd can get stuck with a trailer. In grass, on leaves like mentioned, etc. I wouldn't be worried about the extra maintenance, especially if you don't drive much. I've never had a 4wd failure on any of my vehicles, ever.

I would get a 2wd "truck" any day of the week, even living in Ohio because seriously there is only a handful of times in the winter that you need it.

Handful of times? How long have you lived in Ohio? Were you hibernating during the three straight months of having a foot of snow on the ground last Winter?

Handful of times? How long have you lived in Ohio? Were you hibernating during the three straight months of having a foot of snow on the ground last Winter?

I drove my 4X4 all winter in 2wd without any problems at all.I had to put it in 4wd maybe twice and once was when I was pulling out stuck cars.I do have 4 inches of lift and 33 inch Swampers though.That being said I bought a 2wd truck once and NEVER again.I would rather have the 4wd and not use it that often then need it and not have it!

Depends on where you drive... I use my 4wd all the time - in Ohio. My parents were out of town during the major snow we had last year- I went to their place to feed the dog daily and my explorer drove through over a foot of snow uphill with no problem! I love it! My sister's awd lexus got stuck so I pulled her out, pulled my wife's fwd car out numerous times, and convinced my brother in law to buy a 4wd explorer as well. When you get in some wet grass to pull that trailer out you will wish you had it! At the very least make sure if it is 2wd you have a limited slip differential.

I have never owned a 4wd and never had a problem driving during the winter, even when I lived out in the country in Michigan. Adapt to the conditions and overcome.

I have never owned a 4wd and never had a problem driving during the winter, even when I lived out in the country in Michigan. Adapt to the conditions and overcome.

I also drove a 435 hp supercharged, lopey cam, rwd 5.0 mustang for 4 years year round daily in ohio.... I managed as well- but 4wd is worth it! You will understand once you have one..

Guest tbutera2112

even in the harley truck (supercharged, fat tire, rwd) i got around just fine on normal roads...it was the stuff like going to my girls house during the winter and drivng through 1-2 ft of snow to try and park, driving through wet grass and mud, stuff like that..thats what will get ya...what happens if you have to park your trailer in the grass and its damp out? or it rains while youre wherever you are? wet grass and mud are not good, especially if you have a trailer youre trying to pull....2wd would be fine for light duty like youre describing, but if youre not putting many miles on it, the extra care of the 4wd is not an issue, and one of those things that would be worth it to have *just in case*....plus, it may cost 3-4k more right now, but it will pay for itself between utility and resale...better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it....

ive owned two 2wd trucks, and i will never own another one again *really...the second one i had was passed down to me, i wouldnt have actually bought it*

i never had one problem driving any 2wd truck in the winter for commuting, it was just all the other little times that i got frustrated...i can remember 2 occasions where i had to have somebody pull me out of muddy grass, one time out of a pile of leaves (my only load was a dirt bike), and one time out of a completely flat, snow covered gravel driveway

So the general consensus is go 4wd and never look back. I really appreciate the opinion from both sides it has made the decision easier. Here is more food for thought:

03 Ram 1500 2wd 80k miles (Hemi)

03 Ram 2500 4wd 110k miles (Hemi)

Which would you choose?

Guest tbutera2112

thats a no brainer... if youre towing, get the 2500...and its 4x4 which is a major plus

you can tow with a half ton, but it gets real hard on them.

not much of a dodge guy myself, but if thats what floats your boat....

have you considered a diesel? the reliability, mpg, and towing strength are much different than a gas truck...my truck is a 3/4 ton like youre looking at, diesel, and it can pull a car without you even feeling it back there